Naples region

Stellaboz

Got back on Saturday and finally recovered. Naples is mad and there's fucking no way I could live there but I found there was loads to do and the people were mostly great (helps when you buy a Napoli top with Maradona on the back). Sorrento, Ischia and Vesuvius were all amazing but the highlight for me was going round the Quarteri Spangoli at night, going between bars, pizzerias and Maradona murals while taking in the chaos around you.

12 hours ago, afca32 said:

Got back on Saturday and finally recovered. Naples is mad and there's fucking no way I could live there but I found there was loads to do and the people were mostly great (helps when you buy a Napoli top with Maradona on the back). Sorrento, Ischia and Vesuvius were all amazing but the highlight for me was going round the Quarteri Spangoli at night, going between bars, pizzerias and Maradona murals while taking in the chaos around you.

You dont need to speak italian to visit Naples, simply be able to discuss Maradona in English with gestures and they will be happy. 

Just passed through naples to get train to sorrento in 2019. Was pre warned that the train to sorrento is well known for pick pockets especially when train goes through tunnels. Seen a few guys that appeared to be signalling and working together as a group. Confronted one of them so made it harder for them to target us. 

On 04/08/2022 at 14:00, welshbairn said:

Anyone been to Salerno? Off to Sicily next month for 3 weeks, got a flat booked in Catania but intend to do a bit of travelling around. There's a fairly inexpensive ferry from Palermo to Salerno and reasonable flights back from Naples to Catania. There's obviously plenty to see in Sicily but I like boat trips.

P.S. Alternatively I see the bus from Naples airport to Sorrento is 10 euros and takes 70 mins, so might just fly both ways and find another boat trip.

It's a nice city to base yourself in for being in the Amalfi Coast but I wouldn't say there was a lot of sights there. Good place to get a meal though and it's clean, nice and not touristy.

• 7 months later...

Would anyone recommend/deter folk with two young kids (3+6) visiting for a few nights? Looking at October prices and 3 nights is pretty reasonable. Would it be a decent enough place to visit with youngsters or would it be better to stay elsewhere and make it a day trip? 

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Would anyone recommend/deter folk with two young kids (3+6) visiting for a few nights? Looking at October prices and 3 nights is pretty reasonable. Would it be a decent enough place to visit with youngsters or would it be better to stay elsewhere and make it a day trip? 

Do you mean Napoli itself or the Amalfi coast?

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Do you mean Napoli itself or the Amalfi coast?

Aye Naples itself. Know a woman from work who goes regularly who loves the place but I'm not sure if it would ideal with a 3 and 6 year old. A more relaxed area might be best and a day trip to Naples could be the answer? 

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Sorrento is worth the long train. Beautiful wee place

Been looking here online. Do you think this would be a decent place to stay for 3 nights? 

Tag you in @Inanimate Carbon Rodas I read your write up. But again, it's more if you thought it would be doable with younger kids. 

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye Naples itself. Know a woman from work who goes regularly who loves the place but I'm not sure if it would ideal with a 3 and 6 year old. A more relaxed area might be best and a day trip to Naples could be the answer? 

Been looking here online. Do you think this would be a decent place to stay for 3 nights? 

Tag you in @Inanimate Carbon Rodas I read your write up. But again, it's more if you thought it would be doable with younger kids. 

Just been to the actual city of Napoli once and although it was really vibrant, wouldn't confidently say it's great for small kids. We stayed in Pompeii and traveled along the Amalfi coast and went to Napoli from there. Sorrento is a really nice town with the added attraction of the beach. October should be cooler and less crowded although there will still be tourists for sure. Again, not sure about things to do for the kids specifically but they can rake about in the rock pools for ages, I suppose. Can't go wrong with Italy tbh.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

My wee guy was three when we went to Pompeii etc, we did stay in Sorrento and got the train when we wanted to visit Naples. There are some nice wee hotels on the bay in Naples and i found the people really nice, my parents also stopped there on a cruise last year and if my old man can manage on his wee scooter then im sure most folks would be fine. Cheap food, friendly people, lots of things to see, go for it! Italy is the best place we have ever been to in terms of catering for kids. 
In terms of staying in and around Sorrento? Cannot fault it in any way, perfect wee resort, no horrific England bars etc (that i could see)? The main tourist area all pedestrianised. Great restaurants and not terribly expensive, expect in the ballpark of £9 for a pasta main course in a restaurant. 

Bloody loved Naples and Campania in general but not sure the city itself would be the best for kids tbh. I was in the centre though and did trips to Sorrento, Ischia, Vesuvius etc. so somewhere on the outskirts might be suitable. The centre is fairly chaotic with minimal green spaces and as a child I wouldn't have enjoyed it but that's just me.

I would be very nervous taking kids to Naples itself, at least not for an extended amount of time.  The city is vibrant and full of life BUT the madness of the traffic could be dangerous to a 3 year old who may not always be aware of their surroundings and the sheer noise (horns honking etc...) may be overwhelming for little ones.  You really need to have your wits about you as a pedestrian in Naples 

That being said, I echo what people say about the surrounding regions, Sorrento would be a much better place and you can get the train to Pompeii and (I believe) there are boats to Capri and other surrounding islands from Sorrento. 

11 hours ago, afca32 said:

Bloody loved Naples and Campania in general but not sure the city itself would be the best for kids tbh. I was in the centre though and did trips to Sorrento, Ischia, Vesuvius etc. so somewhere on the outskirts might be suitable. The centre is fairly chaotic with minimal green spaces and as a child I wouldn't have enjoyed it but that's just me.

8 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

I would be very nervous taking kids to Naples itself, at least not for an extended amount of time.  The city is vibrant and full of life BUT the madness of the traffic could be dangerous to a 3 year old who may not always be aware of their surroundings and the sheer noise (horns honking etc...) may be overwhelming for little ones.  You really need to have your wits about you as a pedestrian in Naples 

That being said, I echo what people say about the surrounding regions, Sorrento would be a much better place and you can get the train to Pompeii and (I believe) there are boats to Capri and other surrounding islands from Sorrento. 

Cheers folks. Think if I'm going it's likely going to be Sorrento for a few nights and we'll take a chance on a day trip to Naples. She's still wee enough that she can sit in a buggy for a couple of hours so we should be able to do Naples for a wee bit. Been watching some videos of Sorrento and it looks a lot more relaxed. 

There's a great swimming spot just outside Sorrento called Bagni Regina Giovanna. It's a wee cove with a tunnel you can swim under to take you into the open sea where you get amazing views of Sorrento and Vesuvius. The water should be warm in October.

On 09/03/2023 at 09:18, 19QOS19 said:

Cheers folks. Think if I'm going it's likely going to be Sorrento for a few nights and we'll take a chance on a day trip to Naples. She's still wee enough that she can sit in a buggy for a couple of hours so we should be able to do Naples for a wee bit. Been watching some videos of Sorrento and it looks a lot more relaxed. 

Go to L'antica Da Michelle (pizzeria) in Naples if you go anywhere for food, best food I have ever had without doubt. Two pizza's and two beers came to 16 euro. Can be like a 30 min wait outside but a nice bar that sells Tennants super across the road.

Edited by QoS99

10 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Everywhere sells Super T they're mad for the stuff 😵😵 seeing it in kiosks first time round had to do a double take. 

Think I even had one last night we were there, regretted it. Boggin

I bought one from a shop with a Tennant's Super branded fridge in Venice. Not something I'd ever seen at home, so felt it was something that had to be done. 

Took one gulp and chucked it into the nearest bin. Absolutely rancid stuff. 

• 1 month later...
Guest ICTFCwife

Having been to Naples twice in the last nine months I’d have to say when first arriving into Naples airport and the surrounding area your first thoughts are “what a dump” but don’t be put off by that. Naples itself is a lovely place, you don’t get pizza anywhere better than Napoli 🇮🇹 itself. My recommendation would be if you get the opportunity to see Napoli play at the Maradona stadium then don’t pass it up. First time going I wasn’t fortunate enough to see them play but second time there and truly loved it. If you are spending a few nights in Naples I’d recommend taking the hour bus journey to Sorrento. It’s absolutely stunning, the people are lovely and there is a lot to do and see there. Positano is a small cliff side village further along the coast it’s probably a half hour forty minute journey but I wouldn’t say it’s a necessary trip whilst you’re there unless you want a change of scenes.