BBC's Grovelling Apology

3 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Should have paid off the Russians then - least the lesson was learned cheating through ebts. 

Tapie was playing chess while we were playing checkers, no doubt about it. He was paying off European referees while we were still trying to get Freemasons to join the Lanarkshire Referees Association. It was embarrassingly small time from us.

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

That fabled Celtic side cost £42k so aye 🤦‍♂️ And if you think what Rangers did last year gets anywhere near close to Aberdeen 83 or Dundee Utd in 84 or 87 then your clearly nothing more than a shite wum 

Can you remember those seasons?

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

Tapie was playing chess while we were playing checkers, no doubt about it. He was paying off European referees while we were still trying to get Freemasons to join the Lanarkshire Referees Association. It was embarrassingly small time from us.

:lol: 

The fact that Rangers are framing it in this way, again just totally undermines any claim that the club does everything it can to counter sectarianism.  

This dispute arose due to an entirely accurate report about arrests for sectarian behaviour.  The club's reaction was to ban the reporter concerned from working at Ibrox, hold out for years, then claim victory, aided by that snivelling BBC statement. 

Rangers doesn't want to combat sectarianism; it'd rather defend it. 

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

How come you behaved like such a total dick in your posts yesterday?

Not your usual style is it?

It’s a common defence mechanism used by rangers fans against any reference to sectarianism and in fairness, it’s not the worst. 

Act like it’s all a big laugh and the accusations are all just Diddy rage. 

Best ignored and stored away for the next time they show utter hypocrisy on other matters. 

37 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The fact that Rangers are framing it in this way, again just totally undermines any claim that the club does everything it can to counter sectarianism.  

This dispute arose due to an entirely accurate report about arrests for sectarian behaviour.  The club's reaction was to ban the reporter concerned from working at Ibrox, hold out for years, then claim victory, aided by that snivelling BBC statement. 

Rangers doesn't want to combat sectarianism; it'd rather defend it. 

I think it’s possible for the media to report accurately on an issue having occurred, but through selective bias/focus, create an outsized perception of that issue.

Florida Man is a good example, Labour over the last five years maybe a slightly weaker one. It doesn’t require reporting anything inaccurately or falsely, and crucially there is still a problem, just not at the scale or intensity it might have otherwise been perceived as?

To be clear I’m not agreeing that the way the club went about it was right; but I can sort of understand the reasoning, and how that’s not at odds with the later campaigns like everyone anyone. 

12 minutes ago, Orbix said:

I think it’s possible for the media to report accurately on an issue having occurred, but through selective bias/focus, create an outsized perception of that issue.

Florida Man is a good example, Labour over the last five years maybe a slightly weaker one. It doesn’t require reporting anything inaccurately or falsely, and crucially there is still a problem, just not at the scale or intensity it might have otherwise been perceived as?

To be clear I’m not agreeing that the way the club went about it was right; but I can sort of understand the reasoning, and how that’s not at odds with the later campaigns like everyone anyone. 

If you ban a journalist for an accurate story you don’t like, then you’re in the wrong. It’s really as simple as that. 

29 minutes ago, Orbix said:

In what sense do you think the BBC's reporting of the sectarianism was unfair?

35 minutes ago, Orbix said:

Yes, I get that how stories are selected and highlighted can represent bias, even if the stories in question are true.

I don't for a minute, however, think that's what generally happens with media coverage, including that the BBC provides, regarding Rangers.  Indeed, I'd contend that it's utterly the reverse.

You acknowledge that you're not particularly supportive of the scale or vehemence of the Rangers response.  You're right here, but I think that response is indeed completely at odds with the sentiment apparently behind campaigns like "Everyone, anyone..." . 

If the club is more inclined to shoot the messenger when anti-Catholic fan behaviour is highlighted, then I'm sorry, but the message that the club is not for everyone, could scarcely be clearer.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s a common defence mechanism used by rangers fans against any reference to sectarianism and in fairness, it’s not the worst. 

Act like it’s all a big laugh and the accusations are all just Diddy rage. 

Best ignored and stored away for the next time they show utter hypocrisy on other matters. 

Yes, you're right.  It's bloody depressing though.

His "bad day for Catholics" post yesterday was pretty outrageous.  Again, substitute "Jews" or " "Muslims " for Catholics and he'd no doubt see it that way himself.

Because Rangers' main rivals are seen as "Catholic" however, it's all fun and games, a bit of a wind up.  

I honestly don't know what it takes to get us past this.  Too many actively enjoy it.

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, you're right.  It's bloody depressing though.

His "bad day for Catholics" post yesterday was pretty outrageous.  Again, substitute "Jews" or " "Muslims " for Catholics and he'd no doubt see it that way himself.

Because Rangers' main rivals are seen as "Catholic" however, it's all fun and games, a bit of a wind up.  

I honestly don't know what it takes to get us past this.  Too many actively enjoy it.

It’s frustrating because I doubt they can see what they’re doing, it’s all just part of the rivalry isn’t it? 

ETA - frustrating because you largely see this behaviour from otherwise reasonable people. 

Edited by Dons_1988

Worth a reminder who they hired after Jim Traynor left 

Clicky

Rangers appoint senior Orange Order figure and DUP councillor as their new head of communications

He is also listed as a member of the Royal Black Preceptory – a secretive Protestant fraternal society.

It’s believed he has stood unsuccessfully for a place on the board of the Rangers’ fan group Club 1872 in the past and he has little formal experience of employment in the mainstream media.

They hired an anti catholic, homophobe with no experience for the job.