BBC's Grovelling Apology

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Tough one for BBC's Scottish football journalists. I'd be seeking alternative employment, that's dreadful from the BBC.

Integrity out the window, staff under the bus.

My guess is that many of them are already "self employed" and contract out to the BBC (the commentators etc).

That doesnt absolve the BBC, of course, as you have a duty of care for them as well as direct employees.

In particular, would be interesting to hear Chris Mclaughlin views, but would lay odds that he will be "otherwise engaged" on days they go to Ibrox.

This is in the same vein as when they shat it about Michael Stewart.

Rory Loy is 'liking' this patter on Twitter so I'd assume most of the journalists will just be happy to go to Ibrox for their paid day out. 

Kenny McIntyre's promotion won't have done relations any harm either.

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Tough one for BBC's Scottish football journalists. I'd be seeking alternative employment, that's dreadful from the BBC.

Integrity out the window, staff under the bus.

Nah, they’ll be delighted that they can now get back into Ibrox to commentate on the Biggest Game on Earth™. 

This does mean that we’ll go back to the Saturday 3pm commentary every week coming from one side of Glasgow or the other, with no regard for what is actually the best game.

Just now, Leith Green said:

My guess is that many of them are already "self employed" and contract out to the BBC (the commentators etc).

That doesnt absolve the BBC, of course, as you have a duty of care for them as well as direct employees.

In particular, would be interesting to hear Chris Mclaughlin views, but would lay odds that he will be "otherwise engaged" on days they go to Ibrox.

This is in the same vein as when they shat it about Michael Stewart.

I have a friend who contracts for the BBC. Does match reports etc.

He says there was a call on Zoom this morning to explain the apology. Lots of unhappy people.

He says there was a call on Zoom this morning to explain the apology. Lots of unhappy people.

Ta,

I have a neighbour who is a staff BBC news journo - I will be asking him how its all gone down. I imagine like a cold cup of sick.

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Chris McLauchlin doesn’t really go to games anymore. He’s now “Sports News Correspondent” which is more about packages for Reporting Scotland rather than match reports for Sportsound. 

Your point about the reporters being mostly freelance is right, though. Both Rob Maclean and Paul Mitchell have worked for Premier Sports at Ibrox during the “ongoing situation”, and of course most or all of the ex-Rangers players the BBC have as pundits also appear on the club’s own TV channel. 

It’s also worth noting that Radio Five were happy to visit Ibrox whenever they felt like covering football this side of the border. 

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

The Nations sweetheart cancelled 

I've found him to be an arsehole since he tried to justify James McPake's management just because they are mates tbh. Started very promisingly but proven to be part of the new generation that will keep the jobs for the boys mentality going.

Heres the thing, if there was a joint statement that also covered what Sevco did, then you could almost swallow it.

Its the fact that - as someone upthread mentioned - Rangers are going to be saying nothing, pissing themselves laughing and in the full knowledge that they "won".

Whoever sanctioned this in the BBC is either a *** or needs to have a long look at themselves.

Your friend has my sympathy. This stems from a hissy fit thrown at Ibrox post financial meltdown stirred up by the reprehensible Traynor that carried on after he departed.

The BBC shouldn't be apologising for anything. Clubs should be in no position to pick and choose what journalists report on them for a network. Even at his most megalomanic whilst he issued temporary bans to papers I  don't even thing Sir Alex Ferguson tried to ban a network from Old Trafford.