Americana/Alt-County whatever

BillyAnchor

As an old punk living in the U S and A I have gravitated towards the whole Alt-Country thing. I've seen a lot on this site to suggest there's considerable interest. post away anything relevant. I'll start with this, the cover song that an Alt-Country magazine was named after.

A lot of Alt-Country groups come from very sketchy politic places. Many receive death threats for not getting with the program and when you consider their critics own insane arsenals it's very brave to take a stand.

So many I can pick for this from Lambchop, Wilco, Calexico and Okkervil River etc, but I love this song from Sparklehorse in 1995.

I remember watching MTV2 at 1am which was called 120 minutes - so many great tunes of music which I was disappointed when they changed MTV2 to some rock shit.  

Edited by betting competition

This thread could have been closed after the first post. Uncle Tup are so far ahead of the rest that I feel bad for everybody else. There are very few other records come close to their back cat. The first 3 Son Volt records are big favourites of mine. I'm way more Son Volt than Wilco. The first Sparklehorse album  is a  tick for me as is "Stranger's Almanac"and "Spoke" by Whiskeytown and Calexico. Off the beaten track a bit, I would  recommend  "Country Gazette" by World Standard or going back a bit (1978),  Robbie Basho's "Visions Of The Country" album as two that  may not have been heard  as  much but  definitely deserve to be.

Probably the one group I never saw that I would like to have most is Uncle Tupelo. I also much prefer Son Volt to Wilco.

Sarah Shook came out of Chapel Hill when I lived there, did a few free shows but now is getting national attention here.

Tend to listen to the harder end of this genre nowadays, bit of Thrashgrass/Anti-Folk played by smelly crust punks with drug problems. But this is the exception. Fucking love Stick and Poke

edit: not these two aren't smelly punks with drug problems. They can just hold a tune

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix