Hopping Mad: Scottish Groundhop 2023

30 minutes ago, Dicko23 said:

They were the only one. Apparently it was a agreement for groundhop that it was £8 Adult and U16 free

Seems harsh. Many if not more were there because of "groundhop" but weren't part of the official "groundhop" group.

So the attendance of some random one-off's means the elderly regular is forced to pay more?  What a disgrace and lack of respect to the OAP who attends week-in, week-out.

At what point did the Hoppers suddenly become so powerful in the decision making process?

Any club that agreed to this can be summed up thus - money grabbing bassas......

1 hour ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

So the attendance of some random one-off's means the elderly regular is forced to pay more?  What a disgrace and lack of respect to the OAP who attends week-in, week-out.

At what point did the Hoppers suddenly become so powerful in the decision making process?

Any club that agreed to this can be summed up thus - money grabbing bassas......

Agreed by the League, not the clubs.

1 hour ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

I think previously some clubs have given vouchers or something at a prior game to make sure regulars still get a concession, though a regular concession will surely have a season ticket anyway. 

Here's a video covering the Saturday games, not watched it all yet but some penalty save from the Coldstream goalie at 9:35.

Admittedly the Hoppers raise the crowds at one - off games, and yes they seem to demand everything has to be done for them (they forget most clubs use volunteers) Think the block ticket for all games is the best way - no way the regular fans should get fleeced. Thankfully I steer clear of such events, prefer doing my own thing. Well done to all clubs this weekend 👏

7 hours ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

If it’s really a big deal for £3/4 then it’s the clubs who do the gate they can see people right with a concession. 

Groundhop UK (and others) run them every few weeks using a tried and tested formula. All the clubs involved this weekend will at least be a few grand better off. 

26 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Admittedly the Hoppers raise the crowds at one - off games, and yes they seem to demand everything has to be done for them (they forget most clubs use volunteers) Think the block ticket for all games is the best way - no way the regular fans should get fleeced. Thankfully I steer clear of such events, prefer doing my own thing. Well done to all clubs this weekend 👏

As you say Andy, this is a one-off weekend so ‘concession fans’ are hardly being fleeced- maximum of £4 - two clubs I think being £3. I am sure the majority of fans would be happy on this occasion that their club (home support) is getting additional revenue for this one-off match.

I know of one club who, advised on the ‘non-concession’ prices so that those affected, if so wished, could buy their ticket in advance, so no additional cost to them. As also said in a previous comments, those who have season tickets would not have been affected by this.

Bigger worries to think about - me thinks!

7 minutes ago, Crow said:

If it’s really a big deal for £3/4 then it’s the clubs who do the gate they can see people right with a concession. 

Groundhop UK (and others) run them every few weeks using a tried and tested formula. All the clubs involved this weekend will at least be a few grand better off. 

I was in midstream of commenting myself, Crow and agree in scheme of things - no big deal👍

7 hours ago, Blue White Dynamite said:

Exactly, that’s the agreed format. It seems strange considering the age mix of the Hoppers. I reckon at least 50%+ would be concession rate payers. But the Groundhoppers have NO concessionary tickets on their platform.

I think every club advertised the fixtures as full rate entry. A difficult one with no easy answer, but there were alternatives. Concessions could be pre purchased before match day. It’s a communications exercise.  

1 hour ago, Man from the East said:

Exactly, that’s the agreed format. It seems strange considering the age mix of the Hoppers. I reckon at least 50%+ would be concession rate payers. But the Groundhoppers have NO concessionary tickets on their platform.

It’s something they do on all on their Groundhops. It maximises the income generated by the clubs and helps to make it worthwhile given the inconvenience caused to players, club volunteers, supporters etc.  

I’d say on the positive side of things. It’s certainly an experience and a good one. So many interested people. Brilliant to have passionately people inside the ground. 
If the local clubs had managed to get better results - that would have a perfect weekend. 
These fans and organisers done the sport proud. 

18 hours ago, Blue White Dynamite said:

So Musselburgh will be in trouble - or will the league overlook their 'charitable' stance.  This isn't about the money, it's about the principle.  People who support the club weekly, have been shown little respect.  It might be only £2 or £3 to some, but it's a poke in the eye to others.

Perhaps Penicuik could have done the same as Musselburgh, instead of hiding behind 'the league made us do it' excuse - I noticed a few disappointed fans on your club Facebook page? 

image.png.399914e02da778bf5a9ef5096abb600d.png

20 hours ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

They can actually be summed up as criminals as well. Conspiracy to fix prices is a serious offence.

2 hours ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

So Musselburgh will be in trouble - or will the league overlook their 'charitable' stance.  This isn't about the money, it's about the principle.  People who support the club weekly, have been shown little respect.  It might be only £2 or £3 to some, but it's a poke in the eye to others.

Perhaps Penicuik could have done the same as Musselburgh, instead of hiding behind 'the league made us do it' excuse - I noticed a few disappointed fans on your club Facebook page? 

Willie using his free bus pass to make the 4 hour round trip to Musselburgh to save £4 🤣

On 20/03/2023 at 11:00, MrIrvinePollock said:

At the request of GroundhopUK they requested no concessions for hoppers attending the matches, which was fine, no complaints from any visitors.

Any of our normal attendees at Foresters were charged £5, again no complaints from any of our regular visitors.

3 hours ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

Not going to get into an argument over all this.

No club is hiding behind ‘the league made us do this’, it’s a fact that no concessions is part of the agreement between the League and Groundhop UK.  This has been in place for years. It’s just relaying that it is what the clubs have been told to do.

Penicuik have also advertised all season that the game was going to be on the Sunday, the fact it was Mothers Day wasn’t ideal but certainly not something the club planned!

Can’t comment on what others club did or allegedly did, or how the league might react. But placing the blame on the home Clubs involved when it has been agreed for years is a bit poor. Have you asked the League why it is part of the deal?