Amatuer Contracts in the WOSL

Looking to see if anyone knows how amatuer contracts in the league work. 

If a player signs an amatuer contract and then decides he wants to leave . Can the club hold the player to the contract?

If the player then contacts SFA/WOSL can they then get released even if the club refuse to release?

Thirdly if they then release him can he sign a amatuer contract with another side in the west

1 hour ago, Lord Elron 44 said:

Looking to see if anyone knows how amatuer contracts in the league work. 

If a player signs an amatuer contract and then decides he wants to leave . Can the club hold the player to the contract?

If the player then contacts SFA/WOSL can they then get released even if the club refuse to release?

Thirdly if they then release him can he sign a amatuer contract with another side in the west

If a player signs an amateur's contract and later wants to leave I believe the player can leave after 30 days.
If club don't want to release the player then said player needs to contact the SFA and i suspect the association which his club are a part of 

Yes if released the player can sign another amateur contract with another team but in the senior grade the player can only play with either 2 or 3 teams a season I'm sure.
Any money the player receives for an amateur contract s supposed to be for his/her boots, shin guards, travelling etc...
Sure someone can clarify this right or wrong

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

2 minutes ago, Lord Elron 44 said:

Might be a daft question but do players who sign a professional contract have to be paid

Generally yes, otherwise they would be as well signing amateur or non contract. There is also the grey area of meeting minimum wage amounts, but I’m not sure that is rigorously policed.

1 hour ago, Lord Elron 44 said:

Might be a daft question but do players who sign a professional contract have to be paid

Minimunm £1 a week for a full professional contract - players of professional status but effectively signing on amateur terms sign as 'non contract' professionals.

14 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

If a player signs an amateur's contract and later wants to leave I believe the player can leave after 30 days.
If club don't want to release the player then said player needs to contact the SFA and i suspect the association which his club are a part of 

Yes if released the player can sign another amateur contract with another team but in the senior grade the player can only play with either 2 or 3 teams a season I'm sure.
Any money the player receives for an amateur contract s supposed to be for his/her boots, shin guards, travelling etc...
Sure someone can clarify this right or wrong

Just to clear up a couple of things.

The 30 days only kicks in 30 days after you last played for the club, so if the player last played on the 1st of the month it would be the 30th he can cancel his registration.

Don't know how it works in the WOSFL but when it was the SJFA the player couldn't re-sign for another club on an amateur basis but could sign for a clubs in either the SPFL or SAFA affiliated leagues then sign for a club at that grade. 

On 09/07/2022 at 08:51, craigkillie said:

How does this work with the minimum wage?

I think players will accept £20 a week + expenses from club A in the WOSFL than demand minimum wage, the result of which would be playing as an amateur outwith all bar a handful of clubs. It's not like these guys are doing it for anything other than beer money.

16 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

I think players will accept £20 a week + expenses from club A in the WOSFL than demand minimum wage, the result of which would be playing as an amateur outwith all bar a handful of clubs. It's not like these guys are doing it for anything other than beer money.

It's always going to be a point of when will someone pull the trigger.  Yes many guys accept the situation,  but someone at some point will , if there a bit skint or if a club tries to prevent them leaving for a properly payed roll will cause all kinds of issues.

It's surely going to be impossible for a club to ask for a transfer fee on someone they're under paying?  Lets say someone has a great 6 months and someone comes in and offers them £200 p/w.  Club A ask for transfer fee,  Club B know player isn't on minimum wage,  player asks for release from contract, club can't refuse as they aren't meeting they're obligations.

On 07/07/2022 at 13:18, Arthurlie1981 said:

The 30 days only kicks in 30 days after you last played for the club, so if the player last played on the 1st of the month it would be the 30th he can cancel his registration.

When I was in school, 30 days after the 1st was the 31st.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

It's always going to be a point of when will someone pull the trigger.  Yes many guys accept the situation,  but someone at some point will , if there a bit skint or if a club tries to prevent them leaving for a properly payed roll will cause all kinds of issues.

It's surely going to be impossible for a club to ask for a transfer fee on someone they're under paying?  Lets say someone has a great 6 months and someone comes in and offers them £200 p/w.  Club A ask for transfer fee,  Club B know player isn't on minimum wage,  player asks for release from contract, club can't refuse as they aren't meeting they're obligations.

I guess it comes down to whether a contract becomes invalid in those circumstances.

29 minutes ago, ibenji said:

A professional contract has to meet minimum wage in this league too. Most players I’d assume are on amateur or non-contract registrations 

Good point.  Just check the registration documentation,  with this crucial part

B1 Registration Type (Complete one box only) Contract* Non-Contract Amateur Amateur Age 10-17

* By ticking this box I confirm that the Contract of Employment/Player’s Agreement entered into between the Club and the Player named in Part A of this form or any contract extension/variation thereafter meets the requirements of the current legislation in relation to the National Minimum Wage.

1 hour ago, ibenji said:

A professional contract has to meet minimum wage in this league too. Most players I’d assume are on amateur or non-contract registrations 

At the level we are all on about it's semi professional, so is there a minimum wage for that.
Normally  two training sessions a week of about either 1 and half hours to 2 hour and Saturday, game time, including before and after which is about 4 hours.
So ultimately a paid player is getting paid for 7 hours or 8 hours at the most a week

Also, amateur status, your only supposed to be give money for stuff you require to do the job, i.e. buying boots, trainers for training, training gear, shin guards but and  a big but, if a club deem you important they will pay money for an amateur.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

This sounds exceptionally illegal.

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

At the level we are all on about it's semi professional, so is there a minimum wage for that.
Normally  two training sessions a week of about either 1 and half hours to 2 hour and Saturday, game time, including before and after which is about 4 hours.
So ultimately a paid player is getting paid for 7 hours or 8 hours at the most a week

Of course there’s minimum wage for semi-pro,  just like the shop needs to pay there weekend staff minimum wage.

To pay a player for 7.5 hours a week. If there 23 or above then their weekly wage would be £71.25 a week minimum 

Ah but they’re enjoying it and have another job doesn’t get round legislation in the slightest. 

Edited by parsforlife