Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, sophia said:

I'm ready for Rishi 

Feels faintly erotic 

An alliteration for Sunak escapes me and I'm ashamed for getting sucked in.

Is this what has become of us?

I suppose the one thing he's got going for him is he's got a faintly decent alliteration slogan going for him.  I mean #Boner4Ben or #Nuts4Nads doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it?

9 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Sunak will never appeal to the red wall voters that Boris managed to convert.

the set of circumstances that led to the Tories 2019 win might mean the former Red Wall is no longer in play for any of the candidates. They are probably better off going for a traditional southern tax cutting Tory, rather than pretending Suella Braverman has ever travelled further north than the Watford Gap. 

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

the set of circumstances that led to the Tories 2019 win might mean the former Red Wall is no longer in play for any of the candidates. They are probably better off going for a traditional southern tax cutting Tory, rather than pretending Suella Braverman has ever travelled further north than the Watford Gap. 

Not convinced anyone including Boris would hold the Red Wall seats next GE, as you say it was a certain set of circumstances that led to them voting Tory. Mostly they were hard Brexit voters and Boris was the one promising “To Get Brexit Done” unless the Conservatives can convince them KS is going to take them back into the EU it was always likely a percentage that voted for Boris in 2019 would drift back to Labour at future elections. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

My gut feeling is that Tory grassroots support will begin to coalesce around Wallace and Tugendhat - as white, seemingly no-nonsense ex-military types they tick a few boxes for the geriatrics who mostly make up the Conservative membership, and I can see the ultimate arbiter, The Daily Telegraph, swinging fully behind either; the right-wing just loves a Bulldog Drummond chap.

All of this may not really matter though come the next GE as the outcome may be decided by an increasingly catastrophic economic situation as evidenced by the latest energy bill predictions.  Whichever party can 'level' with the electorate will win the poisoned chalice, and with every day until then looking like internecine warfare for the Tories, even a khaki candidate is unlikely to save them.

Kemi Badenoch!  Who the f**k is Kemi Badenoch?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62103360

Steve Baker won’t stand but will back the fascist like Braverman.

The more candidates the better as it will drag out the shit show and increase the chances of a bloodbath.

14 hours ago, Detournement said:

There have been a few big names today like John Major and Peter Kellener suggesting that Tory members don't need to have a vote on the new leader.

We are heading towards a system where the Party leader picks the MPs and the MPs pick the party leader and the public are completely frozen out.

Or to put it another way, Communism.

2 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Aye I tend to agree, Sparky.

If Boris had screwed the nut, they could have kept them on board.

You might even see Starmer tone down the wokeness to win them back.

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The more candidates the better as it will drag out the shit show and increase the chances of a bloodbath.

Regardless who or how long another c**t will be outcome 

Stating obvious 

23 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

My gut feeling is that Tory grassroots support will begin to coalesce around Wallace and Tugendhat - as white, seemingly no-nonsense ex-military types they tick a few boxes for the geriatrics who mostly make up the Conservative membership, and I can see the ultimate arbiter, The Daily Telegraph, swinging fully behind either; the right-wing just loves a Bulldog Drummond chap.

All of this may not really matter though come the next GE as the outcome may be decided by an increasingly catastrophic economic situation as evidenced by the latest energy bill predictions.  Whichever party can 'level' with the electorate will win the poisoned chalice, and with every day until then looking like internecine warfare for the Tories, even a khaki candidate is unlikely to save them.

I’m a Javid fan, but it’s looking increasingly likely that Suave Jav’ isn’t going to stand a chance.

Will need to do some research on Wallace before throwing my weight behind him.

It would be peak banter if Dorries stands. All other candidates ignore her ridiculous candidature, cut each others throats and the voters are left with her and another candidate known widely as "Eh? Who?

Assuming that she doesn't stand (and she'd need a number of colleagues to back her in the first place) she would be in the running for a gong in the next Honours List for services to comedy and delusions of adequacy. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The ERG gathering round one candidate probably rules out Lord Frost as well.

I disagree it's going to be a blood bath anyway and the faster Boris is out the door now the better.

Kemi Badenoch could well be a surprise candidate who gathers a decent amount of support. I don’t think she will win or make the final 2 but she could well be the king maker candidate who drops out and lends her supporters to the eventual winner in return for a decent cabinet job. 

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Baker is out and is backing suella so that's the erg pick 

The problem with Braverman, apart from her odious views, is that whilst the Parliamentary party has no problem with appointments from across the racial spectrum, the Tory rank and file might not fancy a candidate of colour emerging as party leader or PM.

Ditto Sunak, Javid, Zahawi, etc.,

1 hour ago, 101 said:

The ERG gathering round one candidate probably rules out Lord Frost as well.

I disagree it's going to be a blood bath anyway and the faster Boris is out the door now the better.

I don’t want him out the door quickly.  I want the election of his successor to be as drawn out and as messy as possible.