Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don’t see any issue with the main TV broadcasters showing these debates.  It would be remiss of them not to.

As to 180,000 choosing the next PM that is simply a reflection of how party politics works in the U.K.  it is no different in Scotland, if the First Minister had to step down for any reason it would be the SNP’s internal processes that would determine her replacement.

What is bizarre is that the Tory membership for the whole of the U.K. is 180,000 whereas the SNP membership is about 125,000.  

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t see any issue with the main TV broadcasters showing these debates.  It would be remiss of them not to.

As to 180,000 choosing the next PM that is simply a reflection of how party politics works in the U.K.  it is no different in Scotland, if the First Minister had to step down for any reason it would be the SNP’s internal processes that would determine her replacement.

What is bizarre is that the Tory membership for the whole of the U.K. is 180,000 whereas the SNP membership is about 125,000.  

125,000?  I suspect it’s between 60 and 70k these days.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/running-away-from-the-numbers/

I've been reminded that Mordaunt supported homeopathy. 

Quite right too. What the country really needs.  Thank goodness were are casting aside all that 'evidence, science and experts' stuff.

It's only a matter of time until we also have witch doctors, psychic surgeons, "the laying on of hands" and prayer circles in every A&E unit in the land. That'll sort the NHS out. What folk really need is choice, and a lusty rendering of "Kumbaya". 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I have no real issue with how a party leader, which might include a PM, is chosen. Where I may have an issue is if a new PM chosen in that way takes the Govt in a different direction and implements different policies from the old PM. At general elections we do vote for parties, therefore the party in power should be consistent during the whole duration of its term in power and do what it promised in it's election manifesto no matter who it's leader is. If it changes leader, and as a consequence policies, in between elections, then the country should be allowed a say in whether that govt can continue or not.

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I agree, but Sunak's comments on "Not trusting the SNP to act in Scotland's best interests" won't do the Indy cause any harm.

Largely irrelevant if there is never a recognised independence referendum.

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

I have no real issue with how a party leader, which might include a PM, is chosen. Where I may have an issue is if a new PM chosen in that way takes the Govt in a different direction and implements different policies from the old PM. At general elections we do vote for parties, therefore the party in power should be consistent during the whole duration of its term in power and do what it promised in it's election manifesto no matter who it's leader is. If it changes leader, and as a consequence policies, in between elections, then the country should be allowed a say in whether that govt can continue or not.

I don’t want to sound insulting but the idea that a government gets elected then carries out their manifest promises is very naive.

Can’t remember the Tories including withdrawal from the ECHR or breaking international law in their manifesto.

Not raising NI was a manifesto pledge as was retaining the pension triple lock.  The list goes on…

21 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's brilliant.  Sadly I stopped my Conservative party membership after Boris took over but, for that quote alone, I'd vote for Rishi.

image.jpeg.d8dadc9ddd59885d7207a3dbdea3b5aa.jpeg

9 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

There are approx 180, 000 members of the Conservative party. 

Why do we have to suffer national tv coverage of this shit show for their benefit?

If anyone says 'just swich off' , I have already had my viewing pleasure ruined when pre-set recordings

got buggered up by Johnson's antics recently, causing over-runs and special bulletins.

It's just not good enough!  Tories Out!

Because the controllers of national television probably went to the same schools as all of these candidates and think this is what it is all about.

Although I could be wrong.

There are approx 180, 000 members of the Conservative party. 
Why do we have to suffer national tv coverage of this shit show for their benefit?
If anyone says 'just swich off' , I have already had my viewing pleasure ruined when pre-set recordings
got buggered up by Johnson's antics recently, causing over-runs and special bulletins.
It's just not good enough!  Scotland Out!

FTFY

Apparently BoJo is demanding that his successor must 'finish the Brexit job'. 
Wait a minute... I thought that BoJo got Brexit done? 
It's exactly the same as Sunak promising to "fix the economy", you know the economy he was responsible for up to a few weeks ago. It's up there with the biggest piss takes going but the gullible Tory members lap this red meat stuff up.

I don't know if that was all Mordaunt said on the clip, but "it's a settled question. No." when asked about any indy referendum is either very lazy or just a closing down of any debate/discussion on the matter (which seems to be an increasing trend). Either way, it is surely a question worthy of at least a discussion of why she arrives at her statement. Given that the question of a potential independent Scotland isn't going away and with the SG publishing a series of documents on that subject, a potential PM candidate should be addressing something as important to the Union. On the plus side she didn't trot out the favourite mantra of some: 300 years ago, mumble, something, involvement in slave trade, mumble.

34 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

That interview was a car crash.

If she had said anything else, the Tory press and party would have destroyed her (and any other candidate who said they would allow a referendum.) 

Just another straightforward demonstration of the fact that the wishes of the Scottish voters, who haven't returned a majority of Conservative/Unionist* MPs since 1955, don't matter a damn. 

(*Edit to clarify - the one seat "Conservative" Scottish majority in 1955 was made up of 30 "Unionist" and 6 "National Liberal and Conservative" MPs.) 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

If she had said anything else, the Tory press and party would have destroyed her (and any other candidate who said they would allow a referendum.) 
Just another straightforward demonstration of the fact that the wishes of the Scottish voters, who haven't returned a majority of Conservative/Unionist MPs since 1955, don't matter a damn. 
Of course they don't. The serviles are unable to comprehend that we are viewed as a rogue region who should be seen and not heard.
Its cowardly and embarrassing.

7 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Just another straightforward demonstration of the fact that the wishes of the Scottish voters, who haven't returned a majority of Conservative/Unionist MPs since 1955, don't matter a damn. 

Cracking down on the Jocks plays well with their support; that's all that matters.

We're soon going to see Westminster circumventing our government to the cheers of Scots who'll blame the voters for not eating their cereal.