Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

We were shown a row of jobbies.

The problem for the public is that we plebs ain't gonnae get tae pick the least smelly jobby.

Tory party members are going to pick the most polished turd...not the least smelly.....

In the same way as only the Labour party got to choose Blair’s successor.  The SNP were the sole voters in Salmonds replacement.

Did the public get a vote in either of those two?

Who are you proposing gets to choose the new leader of any political party?

5 hours ago, Left Back said:

In the same way as only the Labour party got to choose Blair’s successor.  The SNP were the sole voters in Salmonds replacement.

As you alluded to earlier it does feel awkward that they're getting the coverage, examination and exposure as though there's going to be an election. Since this is a private process for members only you'd think the tories should have to pay for coverage of their own hustings. Of course there's public interest which I suppose overrides this but, it does leave a bad taste in the mouth that the only folk who will choose between these variously feeble, corrupt and psychopathic choices are, a very small number of c***s.

Particularly when we've been told over and over again that Boris has a personal presidential style mandate, which was always nonsense, and he's still in power. The system is the PM is the first among equals so as laughably bad as he is, Raab as deputy PM should be in charge and Boris should be out on his ear. 

I suppose the upside in all of this is that we get to see a debate focused on what the candidates think is most important for their members. Apparently this is: Tax cuts, willies and "f**k you Scotland."

A moment which sums all this shit up there on sky. Some tory wonk from Team RIshi waxing lyrical about his honesty while footage of him filling up some guys Kia at a petrol station plays in the background. 

Well, Sunak did say he would manage the economy like Thatcher if elected but closing down Holyrood seems a bit harsh. 
Leaving aside Bowie's obvious support for Sunak, any move to circumvent Holyrood has to be viewed with suspicion. That it's coming from a Scots Tory is probably to be expected but if the idea gains traction where will it end? Just from a point of democracy I find this a worrying development. Of course Sunak might lose to Truss and all will be fine. 
It's a recipe for civil disobedience - at worst they could end up driving us down the failed statelet route.

8 hours ago, Left Back said:

The role of the Prime Minister has far, far too much power given how they are elected. 

11 hours ago, Michael W said:

Liz Truss managed to replicate  number of EU trade deals without disaster. I guess you can say that's 'delivering'. 

But, it was something that, in reality, was a pretty easy job. You had a bunch of countries not wanting their goods suddenly subject to tariffs in the UK - a pretty captive audience. In theory they could've been totally dicks and made demands to change things massively, but they didn't. The job done was basically bolstered by anti-Brexit campaigners trying to fearmonger about Brexit and claiming that this is what would happen. And when it didn't, that's Truss' "win". 

She comes across as an absolute lightweight. She is already out her depth tbh. 

This. The deals she has done haven't benefitted the economy and haven't made up for the losses to the economy that Brexit has caused. But none of the candidates are able to pull her up on that. Truss is the only candidate that I would feel confident in saying will lose the Tories the next election. 

58 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
10 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:
Well, Sunak did say he would manage the economy like Thatcher if elected but closing down Holyrood seems a bit harsh. 
Leaving aside Bowie's obvious support for Sunak, any move to circumvent Holyrood has to be viewed with suspicion. That it's coming from a Scots Tory is probably to be expected but if the idea gains traction where will it end? Just from a point of democracy I find this a worrying development. Of course Sunak might lose to Truss and all will be fine. 

It's a recipe for civil disobedience - at worst they could end up driving us down the failed statelet route.

I’ve often wondered if there are those in the Conservative Party who would actually be attracted by the idea of people resorting to civil disobedience in Scotland.  Create even greater divisions than exist already then seek to exploit them with a Draconian response.

48 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve often wondered if there are those in the Conservative Party who would actually be attracted by the idea of people resorting to civil disobedience in Scotland.  Create even greater divisions than exist already then seek to exploit them with a Draconian response.

Aye, we should check if there is anywhere called Inverorgreave in Scotland.

3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

As you alluded to earlier it does feel awkward that they're getting the coverage, examination and exposure as though there's going to be an election. Since this is a private process for members only you'd think the tories should have to pay for coverage of their own hustings. Of course there's public interest which I suppose overrides this but, it does leave a bad taste in the mouth that the only folk who will choose between these variously feeble, corrupt and psychopathic choices are, a very small number of c***s.

Particularly when we've been told over and over again that Boris has a personal presidential style mandate, which was always nonsense, and he's still in power. The system is the PM is the first among equals so as laughably bad as he is, Raab as deputy PM should be in charge and Boris should be out on his ear. 

I suppose the upside in all of this is that we get to see a debate focused on what the candidates think is most important for their members. Apparently this is: Tax cuts, willies and "f**k you Scotland."

A moment which sums all this shit up there on sky. Some tory wonk from Team RIshi waxing lyrical about his honesty while footage of him filling up some guys Kia at a petrol station plays in the background. 

That's what I worry about an "all new Tory party" getting massive coverage in the media followed by a dead cat bounce calling a quick GE.

15 minutes ago, btb said:

That's what I worry about an "all new Tory party" getting massive coverage in the media followed by a dead cat bounce calling a quick GE.

They'd be insane to do it while still having a huge majority. But then 3/5 of those left are sectionalable.

It does shine a bit of a light of the balance in coverage. Who can forget the opposition in Scotland getting a free hit to undermine emergency public health advice, whenever Nicola gave a covid briefing? 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Labour had televised leadership debates only two years ago. I can't even remember what Rebecca Long - Bailey looks like. The promotional value of this could be overstated. 

Yeah I don't think anyone can seriously argue they've done themselves any favours so far. 

Watched a wee bit of it last night. Managed 5 minutes then changed the channel. 

All I can say is, the tories are fucked. The Mail is backing Liz Truss. Here's hoping she wins, best chance we have to be rid of this shower. 

21 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Watched a wee bit of it last night. Managed 5 minutes then changed the channel. 

All I can say is, the tories are fucked. The Mail is backing Liz Truss. Here's hoping she wins, best chance we have to be rid of this shower. 

I agree, but Sunak's comments on "Not trusting the SNP to act in Scotland's best interests" won't do the Indy cause any harm.

There are approx 180, 000 members of the Conservative party. 

Why do we have to suffer national tv coverage of this shit show for their benefit?

If anyone says 'just swich off' , I have already had my viewing pleasure ruined when pre-set recordings

got buggered up by Johnson's antics recently, causing over-runs and special bulletins.

It's just not good enough!  Tories Out!