Jump to content

Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?


Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

You always have to assume these fuckers are up to no good so the proper oddballs and outsiders like Badenoch, Braverman etc may simply be trying to split the vote to knock out one or other of the bigger beasts in the early rounds. 

Some of them are just trying to increase their public profile in hopes of landing a cabinet position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

You always have to assume these fuckers are up to no good so the proper oddballs and outsiders like Badenoch, Braverman etc may simply be trying to split the vote to knock out one or other of the bigger beasts in the early rounds. 

I remember IDS being  the fringe loony with no chance, shortly before sneaking in while Portillo and Clarke beat the shit out of each other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of these folk have joined the race simply to raise their profile. They know they have no chance but here is a chance to get in the papers, get a bit of name recognition and hopefully get a cabinet post when the next nutjob takes over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this general consensus of increasing public spending whilst cutting taxes is a great idea.

Can’t see any flaws with it myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think this general consensus of increasing public spending whilst cutting taxes is a great idea.

Can’t see any flaws with it myself.

Lotsa talk about bloodletting but as you say all the policy declarations so far have been fairly similar - on IndyRef2 both Hunt & Javid said "at least 10 years" yesterday morning within minutes of each other.

I don't see any significant policy differences emerging so I'm hoping for PP, her being a credible candidate (whodathunkit?) but still clearly bonkers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, btb said:

Lotsa talk about bloodletting but as you say all the policy declarations so far have been fairly similar - on IndyRef2 both Hunt & Javid said "at least 10 years" yesterday morning within minutes of each other.

I don't see any significant policy differences emerging so I'm hoping for PP, her being a credible candidate (whodathunkit?) but still clearly bonkers.

I’m looking forward to the first debate:

”I will cut income tax to 18 pence in the pound.”

”Well I will cut it to 17 pence.”

”You’re both lightweights, I’m cutting it to…”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m looking forward to the first debate:

”I will cut income tax to 18 pence in the pound.”

”Well I will cut it to 17 pence.”

”You’re both lightweights, I’m cutting it to…”

" I will cut tax to zero, increase public spending by billions and not have to borrow" 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Zahawi seems to be the one getting his prior indiscretions dredged up at the moment, so he must have pissed off an influential donor at some point.

Chishti might end up winning by default once all the big hitters have torn themselves apart.

Well if he does win, however unexpectedly, I trust that he'll get those unnecessary traffic lights at thon roundabout removed. 

(Sneaky wee Burniston reference there.) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rather than go though the palaver of a drawn out election process, I think the Tories should just go straight to Monty Python's "upper class twit of the year". That would not only save time, it'd be a damn sight more entertaining. 

Maybe the blessed* Nadine could sell the TV rights to Channel 4?

(*In that every time they think of her, a lot of people react by saying "Aww, bless..." 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching Torycunts rip themselves apart is always tremendous spectator sport, but this is the time to drive the b*****ds out of power for good and it feels like a missed opportunity so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Would be odd for many of declared leadership candidates to be making such a deal of it in the opening days of the campaign if they didn't have reasonable confidence that a fair chunk of the grassroots membership cared enough about it. 

They have to get through the MPs first and it's them that love the culture wars shit.

It's like just now we are seeing them promise to cut corporation tax to get donor backers on board for the campaign, if they make it into the last 2 expect more promises to help old white people to get the membership votes.

FWIW we absolutely should not be lowering corporation tax rates, what we should be doing in closing every loop hole currently being exploited. Your tax burden should not be decided on the amount of money you can afford to pay an accountant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

They have to get through the MPs first and it's them that love the culture wars shit.

It's like just now we are seeing them promise to cut corporation tax to get donor backers on board for the campaign, if they make it into the last 2 expect more promises to help old white people to get the membership votes.

FWIW we absolutely should not be lowering corporation tax rates, what we should be doing in closing every loop hole currently being exploited. Your tax burden should not be decided on the amount of money you can afford to pay an accountant.

Fucking right. Accountants are usually shit at tax, or enthusiastic amateurs at best. 

Pay a dedicated tax specialist instead. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Could be a 36 nomination minimum to get on the ballot. That should knock out a few no-hopers.

Possibly all of them.

Does Boris get to stay on in that case?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very noticeable that Mordaunt and Tugendhat sit second and third respectively in the nominations with 21 and 18 votes. Their combined 39 votes are more than Sunak, and they’re largely competing over the same pool of moderate MPs. 
 

 

It’s a stick on that one of those two will drop out and endorse the other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Possibly all of them.

Does Boris get to stay on in that case?

 

No chance. In the last three Tory leadership contests there have always been at least 3 candidates to get more than 10% in the first round (4 in both 2005 and 2016, 3 in 2019)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...