Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

It's not just about being 'part of the union'.  That trivialises our nation.

Britishness is an older concept than Scottishness.

It's normal to love your country.

That's just plain wrong.

1 hour ago, Duries Air Freshener said:
It really isn't.

Great Britain only existed after 1707.

Scotland existed before that date.

If you are referring to the ancient Britons then you are miles out - Brittania was an entirely Roman concept (as was Hibernia for that matter).

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

10 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

It's not just about being 'part of the union'.  That trivialises our nation.

Britishness is an older concept than Scottishness.

It's normal to love your country.

Tough one.  Scotland as we know it today existed from when its western and northern boundaries were set in the late 15th Century.

I have to give this yin to the Scotties.

Edited by The_Kincardine

25 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Tough one.  Scotland as we know it today existed from when its western and eastern boundaries were set in the late 15th Century.

I have to give this yin to the Scotties.

The notion of a Kingdom of Scotland goes back to the 9th century - the late 15th century is when the borders as they are now were pretty much set.

Traditionally it is 843 when  Cínaed mac Ailpín (Kenneth MacAlpin) as King of the Picts brought to power the House of Alpin with the unification of the Pictish Kingdom with the Kingdom of Dal Riata - although it was more of a takeover than a merger - but he didn't use any term as far as we are aware that called himself King of the Scots (or Alba).

The first King to be called rí Alban (King of Alba) was  Domnall II (Donald II) who reigned 889-900.  The term Scotia was first used during his reign but it was more Donald's successor Causantín (Constantine II) where the kingdom was referred to as the Kingdom of Alba/Scotland.  

Other notable dates would be 1124 - the annexation of Lothian and Strathclyde, 1235 - the annexation of Galloway - these ultimately resulted in the Treaty of York in 1237 which effectively set boundaries of Scotland and England close to what they are now (Berwick being the exception).  The Battle of Largs (1263) led to the annexation of the Hebrides, the Isle of Man (which came under the feudal lordship of the English Crown in 1399) and Caithness (which were Norwegian territories) and the Treaty of Perth (1266) which confirmed this.  1472 is the date where the modern borders were pretty much set with the incorporation of Orkney and Shetland.

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

1472 is the date where the modern borders were pretty much set with the incorporation of Orkney and Shetland.

You missed out on the lordship of the isles.

But still.   Thanks for confirming.  As I said, "Scotland as we know it today existed from when its western and northern boundaries were set in the late 15th Century."

This is the second thread where I have been soberly factual but you feel the need to reply with spurious shite.  Just stop it.

You missed out on the lordship of the isles.
But still.   Thanks for confirming.  As I said, "Scotland as we know it today existed from when its western and northern boundaries were set in the late 15th Century."
This is the second thread where I have been soberly factual but you feel the need to reply with spurious shite.  Just stop it.

More for the benefit of DAF but also to point out that Scotland existed before the 15th century - what has changed since the 9th century is its borders.

Most countries go through several stages before it is established that they actually are a country - you could do the same with the Kingdom of England - there are some who think that Egbert of Wessex was (very briefly) the first true King of England - the foundation date for England is often given as 927 (in Aethelstan's reign)- but the process leading to that was almost a hundred years long.  Even Athaelstan didn't call himself King of England but King of the English - the first king to call themselves King of England was, rather ironically, the Danish king Cnut. 

The term England developed far earlier - the Anglo-Saxons referred to themselves as the Engle or the Angelcynn - they called their land Engla land. 

As an aside - there has never really been a United Ireland as a seperate country - the closest would have been the High Kings of Ireland - but this essentially was a ceremonial, pseudo-federal overlord (where his over-lordship was even recognised), who exercised actual power only within the realm of which he was actually king.  Even during the Confederate Ireland period (1642-49) there was never a point where the Confederate powers controlled the whole of the island of Ireland.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Just to add to the above.......there was a Scots High King of Ireland.

After Robert Bruce had reinstated Scottish independence, he took the war to the English crown. He repeatedly invaded and subdued Northern England.

To keep them on the ropes he also sent his brother, Edward Bruce, to  Ireland...... to open up another front against the Plantagenet English who had conquered the island.

Edward Bruce was made the High King of Ireland by the Irish chieftains.....subordinate to his brother Robert, King of Scots, in a pan Celtic union.

Possibly the first "union" in the British isles.😀

I'm no Christian, but "Christ on a bike"... 

Just caught the start of the Tom Swarbrick programme on LBC.  Apparently ET, in the midst of of picking out curtains for No 10, is considering giving places in her cabinet to John Redwood and Iain Duncan Smith. 

Wow. 

On 21/07/2022 at 10:04, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Minford is completely discredited now.

I remembered spotting this name a while back on the thread.  He popped up on C4 news just there.  Holy f**k, I think there was a real chance of him keeling over mid-interview.  He's Truss's man on economics and that?  Terrifying.  

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sunak saying he'll stop foreign aid to countries who won't accept transferred UK asylum seekers.

It’s hilarious that he’s still making these outrageous statements and that the MSM are still quoting him as if he’s still in the running.  I have as much chance of being the next PM has Sunak.

On 22/08/2022 at 19:22, resk said:

I remembered spotting this name a while back on the thread.  He popped up on C4 news just there.  Holy f**k, I think there was a real chance of him keeling over mid-interview.  He's Truss's man on economics and that?  Terrifying.  

Minford was the boy that assured Thatcher that closing the mines without any extra investment would boost growth in the mining areas. 

6 hours ago, Clown Job said:

The phoney culture war is all they have 

In the middle of a cost of living crisis, with rising inflation, food banks, strikes and everything else they are talking about woke culture.

It reminds of the scene from "Good Morning Vietnam" where the General says "The problems of this country have not got one goddamned thing to do with whether you play polkas or don't play polkas".