Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's a jobs for the boys scam masquerading as democracy. Democratic legitimacy is important, MSPs are being voted out by electors only for the parties to pop them back in through the list. Plenty countries have Open List systems, Panachage is just one variety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_list

You’re getting yourself very excited about this.  I can’t remember you mentioning it before despite the system being in place for years. 

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

You’re getting yourself very excited about this.  I can’t remember you mentioning it before despite the system being in place for years. 

I've always found it unsatisfactory than unelected placemen can just be appointed by the parties with as much rights as constituency MPs. You prompted me to look for alternatives that retain proportional representation, it turns out there are loads of examples out there.

I don't have an issue with the PR and list part of De Hondt, but it does annoy me that there is no limit on the number of terms a completely unelectable gimp like Fraser can sit on the list. I'd be in favour of perhaps two max, then you either win a constituency seat or GTF. I do accept that would harm smaller parties, but if you truly are an outstanding MSP then you have time to prove that and get yourself elected on your own merits.

21 minutes ago, BFTD said:

What am I missing here?

He's trying to make a joke out of the disaster he had when he had a pop at Normalling at a petrol station. Where he filled up some Normals Kia (not his) for the cameras then tried to pay for his Normal can of Normal drink and fluidic hydrocarbons by just waving his arms around the chip and pin machine like a complete fanny. 

Tbh it's smart PR. By rolling with it and being self deprecating you draw some of the sting. But at the end of the day he is still just reminding everyone that the former Chancellor is so astronomically rich and so completely removed from Normality that he has had a man to pay for things for him for so long, he has forgotten how to do it himself. 

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

He's trying to make a joke out of the disaster he had when he had a pop at Normalling at a petrol station. Where he filled up some Normals Kia (not his) for the cameras then tried to pay for his Normal can of Normal drink and fluidic hydrocarbons by just waving his arms around the chip and pin machine like a complete fanny. 

Tbh it's smart PR. By rolling with it and being self deprecating you draw some of the sting. But at the end of the day he is still just reminding everyone that the former Chancellor is so astronomically rich and so completely removed from Normality that he has had a man to pay for things for him for so long, he has forgotten how to do it himself. 

Ah, I didn't realise it was a picture the Dishi one had released himself; I thought he must have fucked it again. Some of the folk on the comments seem to think it's not a real credit/debit card, but the embossed numbers are going the way of the dodo.

Frankly, considering some of his colleagues, he'd probably be as well playing up to being so privileged that paying for small purchases is beyond him. Apparently we love that shit from our politicians now.

19 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

:jos:

When they try to be 'normal' they never quite seem to be able to pull it off.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/18/thats-not-a-wrap-rishi-sunak-fails-mcdonalds-fact-check

Asked by hosts Rochelle Humes and Andi Peters what he had eaten, Sunak explained that it had been about 7.30am, and so he ate a bacon roll with ketchup and pancakes.

“If I’m with my daughters then we get the wrap,” the Conservative leadership hopeful continued. “My eldest daughter – if I’m with her, it’s the wrap with hash browns and everything in it. It’s what we do.”

However, a McDonald’s spokesman confirmed the chain stopped selling breakfast wraps in March 2020, a move made permanent with an announcement in January this year.

Bit of a shiter to read that they've cancelled the breakfast wrap.

I'll be devastated if they ever stop putting these in with the Happy Meals:

maxresdefault.jpg

2 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

You have to assume the only reason Sunak hasn't conceded is that they've agreed to spin this out for the whole summer to give BawJaws his series of holidays and avoid doing any work or making any decisions. 

If Sunak is offered a cabinet job I will accept this explanation, if not it reinforces my view.  I will be surprised if he’s offered any government job other than a pretty lowly one.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If Sunak is offered a cabinet job I will accept this explanation, if not it reinforces my view.  I will be surprised if he’s offered any government job other than a pretty lowly one.

Could be both. He might just be hanging on as he has the excuse that he agreed to do so and can continue to live in fantasy land for a few more weeks. Can't see him getting one of the great offices, and he wouldn't accept a Jr role. 

Can't see him being offered a cabinet position, he was slagging off Truss's trade deals to farmers today, he'll be quoted in nearly every Labour election ad.

I expect he'll be hanging around to step in when Truss fucks it up big style.

47 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Can't see him being offered a cabinet position, he was slagging off Truss's trade deals to farmers today, he'll be quoted in nearly every Labour election ad.

I expect he'll be hanging around to step in when Truss fucks it up big style.

There’s no precedent for a failed Tory leadership candidate winning second time around AFAIK.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s no precedent for a failed Tory leadership candidate winning second time around AFAIK.

Good point, and I suspect he's not too popular in the parliamentary party anyway. He'll likely get his green card back and go back to hedge funding in the US.

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

You have to assume the only reason Sunak hasn't conceded is that they've agreed to spin this out for the whole summer to give BawJaws his series of holidays and avoid doing any work or making any decisions. 

I think they were forced to sign a pact not to pull out the race to allow the PM to keep continuity, when in fact he has don't f**k all apart from improve his tan and write a list of cronies to elevate to the lord's.