Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I'd feel a bit bad as Perth is good night out but now would be the ideal time to get the other drop ship down from the Sulaco, dust off and nuke the whole site from orbit. 

They would only find someone else just as obnoxious to be there leader.

The sooner we are away from this clusterf**k that is Westminster the better. 

Like a club singer at a bowling club do I wonder if the Scottish Tory politicians ever look out at the sparse ranks of the nearly dead and wonder what they're doing with their lives

Probably not but it's a thought

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Aye, let's work mental hours like many Chinese folk do. Great idea.

Folk already work far, far too much. We work stupid hours. 5 days a week; far too much. 8 hours a day; far too much. Plenty of people work longer, often because they have to. They have to because they can't afford to live otherwise. Hardly a ringing incentive for people to work more. 

But working more/longer doesn't increase productivity, as many studies have shown.

What they mean when they say 'productivity' however is getting folk to work more hours, preferably for less pay, preferably in service jobs or retail jobs, like manning the gates at airports or working in an Amazon warehouse. Brexit was the first piece of that puzzle. 

They want to get richer basically and do so by getting increases output and paying less to their workers for this.

In response to the audio being leaked, a source from her team told Sky News: "These half-a-decade-old comments lack context but one thing that is as clear today as ever before is a need to boost productivity, which leads to higher wages and a better quality of life for workers right across the UK.

Hah! If only the evidence pertaining to the UK since 2008 didn't directly contradict this.

Increased productivity leads to larger dividends and increased wealth-hoarding, and does f**k all for wages and quality of life for workers.

38 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

The Tories are all complete scum. f**k them.

How much do MSPs who fail in these elections up here get paid?

You looking for a breakdown of salary’s of all candidates or just the ones you perceive as being rich?  You’d likely be surprised how many non-tory candidates earn good money before/during their political career.

10 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Well, duh. They've been bitching about how workshy and lazy British workers are for longer than most of us have been alive.

The good news is that they've manufactured exciting new ways to remove worker protections in the past few years, so sweatshop culture is coming.

11 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The problem isn't that she's necessarily wrong. Let's be perfectly honest, this forum and others are full of people bragging about doing as little work as they possibly can - wearing it as a badge of honour. We can't have it both ways.

The problem is that it's her saying it. What would a millionnaire politician possibly know about hard work? I would be prepared to maybe take a comment like that from someone who actually worked for a living. Coming from someone like her who had a pampered upbringing is just laughable.

It's not even worth getting annoyed by this TBH.

She's not wrong, but for all the wrong reasons.  A lifetime of working in industry convinced me that around 45-55% of the workforce was crucial to almost the entire output.  That's not to say that there was a shortage of graft; in fact quite the opposite, there was TOO MUCH graft due to poor organisation and working practices and crucially, a corporate prioritisation of shareholder value over investment.

Invariably there is also an overload and overlap of management, especially in the desk jobs with this becoming a top-heavy one-directional pyramid of people.  Folk are promoted upwards and can stay there whether they are good bad or indifferent.  And incredibly, despite this army of managers there is a seemingly insatiable need for expensive consultants.  Fucking madness.

Throw in the UK obsession of adopting almost every transatlantic idea, gimmick and mantra on modern working culture as opposed to working practice and demanding but vital vocational training, and it's little wonder that British performance is sluggish.  I recall one American guru lecturing me personally that 'there is no 'I' in team'.  'Yes', I replied 'but there is in win'.  We never really got on.

I won't hold my breath waiting on Truss or any other political charlatan improving the situation.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

12 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Here's a report for/by the industrial strategy council. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://industrialstrategycouncil.org/sites/default/files/attachments/UK%20Regional%20Productivity%20Differences%20-%20An%20Evidence%20Review_0.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjuqKeDvs35AhWIS8AKHd0DAmEQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3fbEa2FupsYcdC5ZxQjyOV

Headlines- London does have higher productivity that "the regions". None of the reasons cited or recommendations mention any difference in how hard people work. 

Some jumbled thoughts.

London is unique in the regions for being almost entirely urban.  All other regions include large rural areas which are typically poorer and an older demographic. 

This measure of productivity is per capita (or per hour) rather than per £spent on labour (nothing wrong with that) so is closely linked to salaries,  which are higher in London because of higher cost of living.  If this was an international study it would be exchange adjusted and i'd like to see these figures adjusted for purchasing power parity. 

Productivity is a relatively poorly understood topic.  This report mentions OECD and ONS studies two years apart with opposite conclusions.  It also notes that there is no data on regional capital stocks,  which would be a big part of any equation.  

This leak betrays a very poor understanding of the issues all round and a mindset more in line with Sun editorials than with the even the lowest levels of national government. 

I'm extremely disappointed she's not said anything about 'tartan gonks', tbh. 

LIZ Truss will look to rebrand Scottish independence as “separatism” in an effort to paint the movement in a negative light, reports say.

Edited by The Skelpit Lug