Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Couldn't decide if this should go in here as it seems to fit the candidates thinking or 'normalisation of the far right' thread. 

Dominic Raab is planning to curb judges’ powers in a move likely to make it harder to bring successful legal challenges against the government in England and Wales, according to a leaked document seen by the Guardian.

48 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I passed my test in 1974. I'll be 70 in a couple of months. I've never driven a 7.5 T lorry, but could jump behind the wheel of one tomorrow. Yet a 42 year old who passed his test in 1998 couldn't. He might be a bit safer than I would.

Jump?  Really?

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

It's a clever idea. You never hear of teenagers under-age drinking or anything like that, so I'm sure this would work

Remember turning 18 and going to the cinema to see your first adult-themed movie!  What a moment. 🙄

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Well, they could always have a go at setting up a content firewall between us and the rest of the world.

It wouldn't work, and would need a bit of work to whip up some Video Nasties-style outrage to get the public on board, but it could be a useful strategy if they need votes. Law & order's always a winner for the Conservatives.

I'm waiting for a Daily Mail exposé of the cesspool of filth and subversion that is Pie and Bovril.

"The supremo of the sick and twisted site, Div McDonald, is believed to be a St Mirren fan and therefore one for the watching.."

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Jump?  Really?

I'm using "jump" in its widest possible sense.

Anyway, "jump" is a lot quicker to type than "clamber with considerable difficulty".

Edited by Jacksgranda

This isn’t specifically about the Tory leadership race but kind of ties in

Jacob Rees Mogg is demanding an inquiry into flexitime in the Civil Service. The whole article and discussion makes Flexitime sound like some sort of niche working practice - the article calls it “little known”. As anyone who has worked in the past few decades will know it’s absolutely commonplace and normal in a lot of workplaces. The crusade they seemed to have against working from home is another example. The Tories once had a slogan of Let Managers Manage, now they seem to think these things should be decided via Daily Telegraph op Ed.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Jacob Rees Mogg is demanding an inquiry into flexitime in the Civil Service. The whole article and discussion makes Flexitime sound like some sort of niche working practice - the article calls it “little known”. As anyone who has worked in the past few decades will know it’s absolutely commonplace and normal in a lot of workplaces. The crusade they seemed to have against working from home is another example. 

Flexitime and working from home are perfectly normal and have been for years. 

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Jacob Rees Mogg is demanding an inquiry into flexitime in the Civil Service. The whole article and discussion makes Flexitime sound like some sort of niche working practice - the article calls it “little known”. As anyone who has worked in the past few decades will know it’s absolutely commonplace and normal in a lot of workplaces. The crusade they seemed to have against working from home is another example. The Tories once had a slogan of Let Managers Manage, now they seem to think these things should be decided via Daily Telegraph op Ed.

There is a little recognised benefit of flexi-time that Ivory Tower dwellers like JRM are probably ignorant of, or just don't care about.  The large organisations I worked for from about 1987 all used it.  It allows organisations to have earlier opening hours and later closing hours, as you will be reasonably certaIn that some staff will want to start earlier and others will want to start later. Instead of an office opening from 9.00-17.00 with an hour off for lunch, you can have the place staffed from say 8.00 to 18.00 with no lunch closure.  Further to that, if the place was busy at particular times, you could have more staff in for longer hours on say a Monday or Friday with the staff working fewer hours later on.  All the employers I worked for used 4-week "Accounting Periods" which gave employees and managers flexibility. 

For large organisations, like local authorities, it allows less pressure on roads and public transport at peak hours and even spreads the load for nearby cafes as you don't have all customers turning up for their decaf vanilla latte with seal milk 10 minutes before their office "opens" . 

I've never heard of a case of an organisation moving back from flexible hours working to set hours.  Anyone else know of any?  Flexi-time probably wasn't common in the Victorian era, which may explain why JRM doesn't like it. 🧐

My current job doesn't use Flexitime but I have worked in jobs that use Flexitime and it has pluses and minuses.  From an employee point of there were obvious upsides - we used to play football every Friday lunchtime and with the flexitime you could get away for two hours every week.  It also meant you could get into the office a little later if you had kids to drop off.  From the managerial point of view, it meant that they could rely on people being willing to stay back and work longer hours if required as they knew they would get it back.

From the minus side, one issue that we always had was actually getting to take flex back.  We accumulated hours but there was a limit on how many flex days off you could book in a month - I think it was a day and a half.  So if you accumulated more than a day and a half of flex during a month you could take it back, without specific managerial sign off.  One woman I worked with accumulated so much flexitime that they signed off her getting a one off payment to give it up as she'd never be able to take it all back.  This didn't impact me as I would always be close to my balance due to taking two and a half hours back on a Friday for football.

Edited to add - I got distracted with my flextime life story.  The main point is that this wasn't some sort of hipster, right-on, Nathan Barley tech start up.  It was a venerable insurance company.  This is a completely normal way for office jobs to work yet in the strange Op Ed world of British politics it's become a political issue.  The fallout of it could be that it makes civil service jobs less attractive compared to other jobs therefore not attracting the best people.

Edited by ICTChris

JRM is still obsessed with that time he went into an office and everyone was working from home  isn't he? A weird thing to get completely rattled about. 

I don't have flexitime in the same sense I did when I was in the Civil Service, but do have some flexibility to vary my start/end time, which is very useful on the two days I'm in the office as I can miss the worst of the traffic. 

Anyway, if you start messing about with flexi then people will just leave. It's one of the key benefits of the civil service, albeit you lose this benefit at the senior grades. 

JRM: "In the middle of an enormous labour crisis we'd like to make it as hard as fucking possible to retain and recruit staff." 

To be an enormous cynic/objective observer of tory maneuvers against the civil service, this seems like a way to reduce headcount by making folk with kids, care responsibilities etc just say fine, I'll happily get paid better and have my entirely normal and reasonable work life balance respected in the private sector thank you and goodbye. 

On the plus side, JRM will be out of office in about a month so this 'review' will never happen, as I'm sure he knows, the people who are doing the review will know, the people being reviewed will know.