Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Fair play for Rishi Sunak for being open and honest, admitting to us what the Tories what we have always knew they were about, which is transferring money from the poor to the wealthy. Or maybe he like Truss aren't that bothered about hiding it anymore. A real vote winner there.

Really shows how disconnected the the new further to the right Conservatives are from the rest of us, they aren't living in the real world.

Just horrible people.

You probably saw this earlier in the week but I couldn't find the piece anywhere. These bloggers have a good take on his confession.

I'm not seeing Sunak's "slip" as quite so toxic as some people think, and I reckon he said it because he felt fairly confident that their voters will find the concept of upward redistribution acceptable.

After twelve years in government, they may well have mainstreamed the idea that there's no point in wasting money on areas full of people who've done nothing to deserve it, and it should be enjoyed by the exceptional movers and shakers who've made all the money in the first place.

It also helps to cover for the siphoning off of much larger amounts of public money to their friends and family if they're doing the same on a smaller scale with their voters. "We" are all in it together, after all.

I hope I'm wrong.

6 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Used to be able to drive without seatbelts even though they were in all cars from '68. Law made it mandatory in '83.

Driving laws change for safety reason on the whole.  Doing a U-turn on safety laws, Brexit at it's finest. More coming your way.

I thought that sounded a bit early, but I was thinking of when the law was changed to make it mandatory for passengers to wear seatbelts in the back too, which was 1991.

It's amazing how many people were fizzing about that. The popular complaint was that, in the event of an accident, they could be trapped in the back seat if the buckle was damaged. Not something they'd have to worry about after being tossed around the inside of the car like a wet shammy.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Yip if you had license pre 1979 

Seven discrete word forms and it appears you have done well with four.

The aberration that is "yip" was a particularly poor start.

55 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I thought that sounded a bit early, but I was thinking of when the law was changed to make it mandatory for passengers to wear seatbelts in the back too, which was 1991.

It's amazing how many people were fizzing about that. The popular complaint was that, in the event of an accident, they could be trapped in the back seat if the buckle was damaged. Not something they'd have to worry about after being tossed around the inside of the car like a wet shammy.

I it remember well and similar to the c thread, the opposition was based upon the erosion of personal freedoms.

Clunk click every trip!

24 minutes ago, sophia said:

Seven discrete word forms and it appears you have done well with four.

The aberration that is "yip" was a particularly poor start.

Yip good for you aswell👍

8 minutes ago, sophia said:

I it remember well and similar to the c thread, the opposition was based upon the erosion of personal freedoms.

Clunk click every trip!

Bloody nanny state! If Savile was in favour of it, it must have been bad!

The father of one of my school friends was still refusing to wear a seatbelt when driving in 1991, and I got a lecture once about what would happen if we were in an accident in his car - they'd be skipping away scot free while I burned to death in the back seat. Seemed like he was enjoying that idea a bit too much, so I got the bus home after that.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Bloody nanny state! If Savile was in favour of it, it must have been bad!

The father of one of my school friends was still refusing to wear a seatbelt when driving in 1991, and I got a lecture once about what would happen if we were in an accident in his car - they'd be skipping away scot free while I burned to death in the back seat. Seemed like he was enjoying that idea a bit too much, so I got the bus home after that.

TBH, the way cars were built before Volvo got serious about safety and NCAP came along, fretting over whether to wear a seatbelt or not is a bit like deliberating over whether or not to wear a condom before you jump into a pit of molten lava. 

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

There is an image of a bnp type with a swastika tattoo at a ww2 event for are lads. It sums this pish up for me. 

f**k sake. Perfect distillation of those morons.

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

TBH, the way cars were built before Volvo got serious about safety and NCAP came along, fretting over whether to wear a seatbelt or not is a bit like deliberating over whether or not to wear a condom before you jump into a pit of molten lava

Snorted my drink at that line, you b*****d  :lol:

To all you people that are frothing about an alleged change to safety standards because of brexit you probably need to do some thinking before getting your rage on.

If you passed your test prior to 1997 you can drive a 7.5t.  Basically people aged roughly 42 and over can do this. I’d hazard a guess this is the majority of license holders.  I could be wrong and tbh couldn’t care if it is or isn’t a correct guess.

I have no idea why this was changed in ‘97 but if it was a road safety thing I ask myself why someone who passed their test in 98 isn’t capable of doing something someone a year older than them can do.  If it was unsafe why not a blanket no with say a 2 year grace period to allow those that were working as 7.5t drivers without a C license time to get their C license? (Or whatever it’s called these days)

I also have no idea of the rationale behind this alleged/proposed change that seems to have people frothing.

Maybe instead of assuming this is s lowering of safety standards this is a correction of a daft anomaly of the law.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, because I'll not be driving a lorry, but I don't much fancy the idea of folk of any age learning to drive and passing their test in a Ford Ka, then jumping behind the wheel of a 7.5t lorry and crusing the roads.

To do this as a job you'd still need an operators licence and the majority of folk wouldn't be able to park these things in the driveway or on a residential street. So it wouldn't help "white van man" and to my mind  it's a solution looking for a problem.  Or a desperate attempt to find a brexit dividend that will just end up costing us a few more squidged cyclists and kiddies every year.