Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So the Conservatives have reduced their standards to the point where the majority feel that a congenital liar, who considers the law a trivial inconvenience that should only concern others, and whose unpopularity may well have lost them the next election, should still be their leader.

This is sounding awfully familiar. Wonder if we'll see further moves to make it harder to remove the popular candidate of the right here as well.

I am still not convinced that Truss will win the leadership election (although to be fair I have probably under estimated the inherent racism of your average Tory party member)

Another four weeks of her looking glackit and unstable?  I am sure voters have still have the ability to change their minds...i simply can't see her being PM....as others have pointed out, with the incompetence of Johnson without any of the percieved charm or personality.  If I was still a betting man I would be tempted to have a punt on Sunak.

16 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I am still not convinced that Truss will win the leadership election (although to be fair I have probably under estimated the inherent racism of your average Tory party member)

Another four weeks of her looking glackit and unstable?  I am sure voters have still have the ability to change their minds...i simply can't see her being PM....as others have pointed out, with the incompetence of Johnson without any of the percieved charm or personality.  If I was still a betting man I would be tempted to have a punt on Sunak.

This is the UK, though - the Tory UK to boot. Never underestimate its potential to shit the bed. What’s delicious is that Johnson never seemed to care when he looked a lumbering oaf - he revelled in it as part of the persona. I get the sense that Truss will care deeply every time she humiliates herself and is shown up for the dim-witted, tongue-tied, incompetent ass she is. She’ll be fizzing at every photo opportunity gone wrong, every speech and interview in which (of course unfairly) she’s blindsided and unable to string a sentence together. Johnson knew and played up to the trick he’d pulled off in being able to play the lazy, laughably unprepared clown and get away with it. Truss appears to believe her own fawning PR folk and genuinely thinks she’s a serious heavyweight politico.

I hope there is no last minute snafu - Truss as PM, being looked at in stunned disbelief (followed by laughter behind closed doors) by the actual politicians of the world, needs to happen.

55 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I think you have tbh 😂

Tory voters are by and large racist arseholes anyway - however actual card-carrying members of the party will be even worse and a far higher percentage of them will be ageing, EU-hating, brown-people detesting bigots. The fact that Truss is having to cosplay Thatcher and come away with ever more extremist pish masquerading as policy just to get them to vote for a woman tells its own story.

It would have actually been quite interesting to see the numbers had Kemi Badenoch got through to face Sunak. Mainly because there would be about 94 ballots received as the other 150,000 would presumably have died from aneurysms at having NO white candidate to choose from. 

23 minutes ago, Antlion said:

This is the UK, though - the Tory UK to boot. Never underestimate its potential to shit the bed. What’s delicious is that Johnson never seemed to care when he looked a lumbering oaf - he revelled in it as part of the persona. I get the sense that Truss will care deeply every time she humiliates herself and is shown up for the dim-witted, tongue-tied, incompetent ass she is. She’ll be fizzing at every photo opportunity gone wrong, every speech and interview in which (of course unfairly) she’s blindsided and unable to string a sentence together. Johnson knew and played up to the trick he’d pulled off in being able to play the lazy, laughably unprepared clown and get away with it. Truss appears to believe her own fawning PR folk and genuinely thinks she’s a serious heavyweight politico.

I hope there is no last minute snafu - Truss as PM, being looked at in stunned disbelief (followed by laughter behind closed doors) by the actual politicians of the world, needs to happen.

Couldn't agree more. Caught the end of the hustings last night (didn't mean to, honest, just happened to come on when we switched off Netflix) and the guy from Sky pointed out that our new PM is going to be chosen by 0.3% of the electorate. I already knew it was in the hands of a tiny minority, but found the 0.3 figure staggering. The fact that someone as lightweight as Truss is the clear favourite amongst that lot is equally staggering. 

10 hours ago, Steiner nWo said:

Sturgeon is merely the leader of the ruling party of a devolved assembly

First Minister of the Scottish Government. 

her whole career having been based on ... insults

😂

See you in your next reincarnation. Try to come back with a new trick or two.

Truss rightly wants to ignore a woman who constantly agitates and grandstands on matters outwith her remit, such as deciding referendums on splitting up the country.

The U.K. is Not a country. You know this of course

54 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I lost count of the number of times she said she'd been "mis-represented" last night.  Never admitted to getting anything wrong.  Put another way she's basically implying her actions were all good and everyone else was too thick to understand them.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I lost count of the number of times she said she'd been "mis-represented" last night.  Never admitted to getting anything wrong.  Put another way she's basically implying her actions were all good and everyone else was too thick to understand them.

That's reminded me of a Thatcherism. (Well, it is the low rent Thatcher tribute act we're talking about.) When faced with the repeated failure of the Tories in Scotland, didn't she bang on about the Tories 'not getting their message across'? She seemed incapable of understanding that the voters HAD in fact heard the message loud and clear and repeatedly rejected it.   When Truss falls flat on her electoral @rse in Scotland no doubt she'll claim she was misquoted and misrepresented. 

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

So much for levelling up...

Fucking hell. Did he really say that?

Labour were putting money into deprived urban areas. As chancellor I undid that and redirected it to places like here...

20 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Dropping out of the ECHR has been a (barely) secret priority for quite a long time now. It's essential for them to pursue their agenda of reducing the human rights of British citizens. Using it as a stick to beat foreigners with will be the means by which they achieve that goal.

If you've enjoyed the schadenfreude of faceless people complaining about leopards up to now, just wait. We're all going to get what we deserve.

6 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

That's reminded me of a Thatcherism. (Well, it is the low rent Thatcher tribute act we're talking about.) When faced with the repeated failure of the Tories in Scotland, didn't she bang on about the Tories 'not getting their message across'? She seemed incapable of understanding that the voters HAD in fact heard the message loud and clear and repeatedly rejected it.   When Truss falls flat on her electoral @rse in Scotland no doubt she'll claim she was misquoted and misrepresented. 

Aye, I remember that being a popular mantra; I think it was still commonly repeated into Major's administration. It's the same kind of denial of reality that you often hear from losing politicians - part of the same comfort strategy as "the people aren't interested in <important topic>, they want to know about <meaningless deflective bullshit>", and "what I'm hearing on the doorsteps is..."

By the time they got back in under Cameron, "not getting the message across" had been abandoned as hilariously untrue, and Scotland's just been gradually ignored ever since. We've been abandoned as a lost cause that they don't need, and it's amusing how the remaining pockets of resistance are furious with the electorate for not making Scotland more appealing to the government in Westminster. How backwards is that?

14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Fucking hell. Did he really say that?

Labour were putting money into deprived urban areas. As chancellor I undid that and redirected it to places like here...

They're almost certainly all thinking it he's just been daft enough to say it out loud and be caught on camera.

All the same, Sunak +4.

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

This is the most depressing, worrying, and dangerous bleat in a campaign that's turning so far to the right. Gonna have to go some to beat this, Liz.  But I'm sure she'll manage. 

Edited by The Skelpit Lug
Sp