Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Truss talking about removing the independence of the BoE and funding tax cuts with massive borrowing on the never never. Just bought my holiday Euros stash early, the pound could take a hammering if she wins.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

1- Britain is not a self-determined liberal democracy. It's an island. However if the UK a is self-determined liberal democracy then the constituent parts of it should be afford the same right to self-determination. If the main body of power within the UK, situated at Westminster, denies the constituent parts to decide if they wish self-determination then the UK cannot be a self-determined liberal democracy.

2- You say this as tho' the "Nats" who ran the various and differing and changing political parties steered toward independence are the same people. There are people who now support independence, post Brexit, who did not before. There are people who supported independence twenty years ago who now do not, etc. There has always been people in Scotland who want independence from the UK since the act of Union and, until independence happens, there always will be. That doesn't mean they all want it for the same reasons, for their whole life or that their reasons can't change. Painting it in such a way is a nonsense.

It is always worth pointing out why someone is posting nonsense, even if it happens a lot.

I find his posting odd these days.  I used to argue with him all the time in the Rangers threads and I quite enjoyed it.  He could be a bit obnoxious on his day, but plenty of us can.  He was generally good value.  

He seems to have sort of given up though.  He's obviously not given up posting, but he's given up trying to acknowledge nuance or actually argue his case sensibly.

I suppose what could be said in his defence is that it can be a two way street.  I've seen posts on here castigating all Tories as unmitigated b*****ds to a man and woman.  I don't actually believe that's the case.  There are of course, differences between them.  Such posts, however, tend to be showered with greenies, with no challenges in sight.  What Kincardine now does is actually similar.

I'm mindful of Dons1988's post earlier.  Kincardine has maybe been battered into becoming the poster he now is.  As I said, it's a shame because he now comes across as a stupid bloke and he's not one.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Watched the leadership debate on Sky tonight.  Far better format than then slinging insults at each other and interrupting all the time.

If I had a vote I’d be voting Sunak.  Came across miles better than Truss.  Overwhelming majority of the Tories in the studio audience backed him as well.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Watched the leadership debate on Sky tonight.  Far better format than then slinging insults at each other and interrupting all the time.

If I had a vote I’d be voting Sunak.  Came across miles better than Truss.  Overwhelming majority of the Tories in the studio audience backed him as well.

Hardly a difficult debate for Sunak to come out on top.

Truss is/was completely useless.

A YouGov poll of Conservative membersthis week showed 67% who think the government is already spending enough on the National Health Service, 60% who want the next prime minister to delay Britain’s commitment to reaching net zero carbon emissions by 2050, and 75% who support deporting asylum seekers to Rwanda. The same poll also found that 53% of Tory members do not think Mr Johnson should have been forced to resign anyway, with a majority still seeing him as a better leader than either Ms Truss or Mr Sunak.

Truss saying she won't apologise to Sturgeon and the Tory crowd roared in approval. No love bombing, lead don't leave, and I doubt she'll be digging out that 'Let's stay together, you're my best friend' video any time soon. Not Liz, she's one tough lady. She won't be turning, no siree. Strong and stable.

21 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The same poll also found that 53% of Tory members do not think Mr Johnson should have been forced to resign anyway.

And therein lies the explanation for why this unpleasant maniac is going to win.

Those who ousted Johnson, and those whose opinions forced their hands (ie the broader electorate) don't get to pick his successor.   

The result is that we're getting someone even more wretched, but without the charm or charisma.  The hope has to be that she provides a really unpalatable combination.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Truss saying she won't apologise to Sturgeon and the Tory crowd roared in approval. No love bombing, lead don't leave, and I doubt she'll be digging out that 'Let's stay together, you're my best friend' video any time soon. Not Liz, she's one tough lady. She won't be turning, no siree. Strong and stable.

She will be one of the UK’s shortest serving PMs and one who has never won an election.

3 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

How many PMs has FM Sturgeon watched come and go (in humiliating fashion) in the strong and stable UK?

26 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Hardly a difficult debate for Sunak to come out on top.

Truss is/was completely useless.

I particularly liked Truss stuttering her way through one of the debates and then admitting, “I may not have the slickest delivery…”.

Fair play: if you speak with all the rhetorical skill of a drunk howler monkey having a stroke, you might as well own it.

I cannot wait until this mess is representing the UK on the world stage. Johnson will be delighted at a successor who actually manages to make his waffling, Melchett-esque chuntering look statesmanlike. The Tories really do still seem intent on making the UK a laughingstock.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

She will be one of the UK’s shortest serving PMs and one who has never won an election.

I think that will probably be the case but then again will the Tory Party not want to put on a 'united front' (but for how long)? Their spiral into total breakdown would be something, right enough.

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

A YouGov poll of Conservative membersthis week showed 67% who think the government is already spending enough on the National Health Service, 60% who want the next prime minister to delay Britain’s commitment to reaching net zero carbon emissions by 2050, and 75% who support deporting asylum seekers to Rwanda. The same poll also found that 53% of Tory members do not think Mr Johnson should have been forced to resign anyway, with a majority still seeing him as a better leader than either Ms Truss or Mr Sunak.

Yes, that's the poll that had 38% of Tory members claiming to have voted for Truss, 22% for Sunak, and 40% who couldn't remember who they voted for. 

10 minutes ago, Antlion said:

How many PMs has FM Sturgeon watched come and go (in humiliating fashion) in the strong and stable UK?

Sturgeon assumed office November 2014.

Since then...

David Cameron, Theresa May and Boris Johnson have all been Prime Minister
Ed Miliband, Jeremy Corbyn and Keir Starmer have been leader of the opposition
Nick Clegg, Tim Faron, Vince Cable, Jo Swinson and Ed Davey have been Lib Dem leader
Ruth Davidson, Jackson Carlaw and Douglas Ross have been Scottish Tory leader
Jim Murphy, Kezia Dugdale, Richard Leonard and Anas Sarwar have been Scottish Labour leader
Willie Rennie and Alex Cole Hamilton have been Scottish Lib Dem leader
Carwyn Jones and Mark Drakeford have been First Minister of Wales
Peter Robinson, Arlene Foster and Paul Given have been First Minister of Northern Ireland

31 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If I had a vote it would be a cock and balls with nails through them because that would be preferable to either of these goblins.

I'd been doing quite a good job of avoiding the Tory psychodrama, but I watched some of the Truss inquisition earlier and by f*** she is an absolute binfire. Just as bad as the Spaffer at being 'clear' about not being clear on anything. Switched off before $unak tempted me to put my foot through the TV and send Sky the bill. Currently, in football terms, Starmer is shitfesting his 1-0 lead with 20 minutes left on the clock...

6 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I think that will probably be the case but then again will the Tory Party not want to put on a 'united front' (but for how long)? Their spiral into total breakdown would be something, right enough.

Never underestimate the power of a ruling party feeling under electoral threat, with time for a few regular (and emergency?) budgets and the support of some particularly obnoxious but  widely read newspapers. 

If it looks as if Truss is in danger losing a general election, she will receive a visit from the dudes in grey suits as a result of which she will resign so that she can spend more time with the voices in her head. Cue some other shiny, clueless eejit being brought in as a new broom, who then wipes the floor with 'that evil, Corbyn-supporting, union-loving, scrounger and immigrant supporting Captain Hindsight/Comrade' Starmer. 30-40 seat Tory majority with fewer than 5 non-SNP MPs returned from Scotland. 

Anyone who thinks at this point that the Tories are shoe-ins to lose the next election hasn't been paying attention to the English electorate in recent years and the power of the media.  The need to get away from that shower of chancers in Westminster has rarely if ever been more urgent. 

3 minutes ago, Steiner nWo said:

Despite Salmond's cheeky renaming of the Scottish Executive in 2007, the SNP and Green coalition is not actually a government of Scotland.  They are merely the ruling entity of the devolved assembly, and should be treated as such.

Truss rightly wants to ignore a woman who constantly agitates and grandstands on matters outwith her remit, such as deciding referendums on splitting up the country.

What happened to your Duries Air Freshener account m9 ?

Cancelled by the woke mob ?

21 minutes ago, Scorge said:

I'd been doing quite a good job of avoiding the Tory psychodrama, but I watched some of the Truss inquisition earlier and by f*** she is an absolute binfire. Just as bad as the Spaffer at being 'clear' about not being clear on anything. Switched off before $unak tempted me to put my foot through the TV and send Sky the bill. Currently, in football terms, Starmer is shitfesting his 1-0 lead with 20 minutes left on the clock...

Johnson got away with it because there was a cult of personality around his lingering celebrity-comic personality. Truss will be hamstrung here because, whilst she is certainly as talentless as him, she has no personality.

Whilst people excused Johnson’s shit-scented waffling as him just being a character and a great British eccentric, Truss’s will have no excuse. Watching her embarrass herself until she’s inevitably punted will just be fucking funny.

I hope she pulls a May when she goes, and bubbles at the dispatch box (tears of molten steel, of course).