Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I may have made this in 30 seconds on MSPaint in work but it should be the backdrop to every news story about the Tories

image.png.5abe346d74e7454b4eb14be42f153d62.png

Professor Curtice, why this a singular honour sir. Welcome to pie and bovril and the politics subforum. 

Edited by williemillersmoustache

23 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Yes but you thought voting for brexit was a good idea so any prediction you make needs to be viewed in light of that information and ignored. 

Very strange logic as one thing has nothing to do with the other, but I’ll follow suit and put you on ignore.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think a shift between the two is in evidence.

I agree that no PM is going to want to be the one that loses Scotland.  However, among the grass roots and some ERG types, I think plenty would lose no sleep over it.  I can see it becoming a more explicit strand of thought in the near future.

There's no evidence of this in the ongoing leadership contest, in which pleasing the grass roots has trampled over governing the country and rational thought. 

There is no prospect of English Tories abandoning Scotland, because they fundamentally view the UK as England. An independent state existing on the same island is therefore diminishing England's realm.  

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

There's no evidence of this in the ongoing leadership contest, in which pleasing the grass roots has trampled over governing the country and rational thought. 

There is no prospect of English Tories abandoning Scotland, because they fundamentally view the UK as England. An independent state existing on the same island is therefore diminishing England's realm.  

You've not got this wrong, but I'm less certain than you about a "Hell mend them" thing never being able to get a hold.  

I think that the fact that a rUK would be very easy for the Tories to win perpetual power in, would become attractive to many. 

Polling also indicated that most Tories were prepared to see the UK disintegrate in pursuit of a hard Brexit.  This tells us that the sentiment does exist.

Most Southern Tories give very little thought to Scotland or Northern Ireland at all.  Plenty would feel pangs over seeing the back of us, but they'd be minor.  

Senior figures won't be making such noises anytime soon, but any thinking it won't be alone.  

1 hour ago, virginton said:

It's simpler than that, they fear that UK fragmentation would be the final nail in the Empire coffin, and the UK would become a further diminished entity on the world stage.  What commenced with Suez in 1956 would finally be brought to a conclusion, and with it a potential security conundrum given the location of the UK nuclear arsenal.

Oh, and you could throw in Scotland's energy capabilities for good measure.

14 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's simpler than that, they fear that UK fragmentation would be the final nail in the Empire coffin, and the UK would become a further diminished entity on the world stage.  What commenced with Suez in 1956 would finally be brought to a conclusion, and with it a potential security conundrum given the location of the UK nuclear arsenal.

Oh, and you could throw in Scotland's energy capabilities for good measure.

They're not thinking about the UK though. They're thinking about England and simply equate the UK state with that identity. That's the process at work and it's in fact simpler than your explanations. 

11 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Folk seem to have missed the more worrying part of the Truss quote. 

I can think of only two ways to achieve this. 

Tories winning elections in the Scottish Parliament, or abolishing the Scottish Parliament. 

I think by this point though, she was simply saying anything that sounded kinda Uniony.

Remember, the point at which politicians felt the need to say things they could subsequently support, is way way behind us.

It sounds like she was suggesting the sort of centralised rule from Westminster in areas like education, that didn't exist even in pre-devolution days.  I'm sure though, that she wasn't even trying to say something coherent.  She sees little real need for that, certainly in her current battle.

Terrifyingly, she's right.

Been a good day till I hit twatter. What the score with these loonies? Not Truss and Sunak and the rest of the shysters in Westminster who are obviously power hungry greedy morality vacumes but all these clowns that activity whoop cheer and defend their horrible policies. Some of Poundland Maggie's biggest defenders call themselves left wingers. They can't get over the fact labour died selling Tories lies. Get a grip you bunch of fucking morons. 

7 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Public sector pay cuts outside of London scrapped less than a day after it was blurted out and Sunak said to be closing the gap. 

Behold the power of a Murdo Fraser endorsement. 

I've said before. Politicians think they can cut pay, but I know have several reverse gears I've not even used yet.

Wee Rishi getting more and more desperate to win over the ‘hang ‘em and flog ‘em’ brigade with Orwellian thought crime proposals.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/02/former-counter-terrorism-police-chief-attacks-rishi-sunaks-prevent-plans

Wee Rishi getting more and more desperate to win over the ‘hang ‘em and flog ‘em’ brigade with Orwellian thought crime proposals.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/02/former-counter-terrorism-police-chief-attacks-rishi-sunaks-prevent-plans
Given the news yesterday I'm stunned there wasn't a call for the death penalty in cases involving treason.