Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So it's going to be Truss then. Ah well at least we'll get a laugh at how stupid she is as we all freeze in our homes and the country goes to sh*t. 

Better together and the best of both worlds indeed. 

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Well funnily enough, or not in truth, the usual right-wing papers are this morning reporting that Truss intends to wrestle economic control away from the Treasury into No 10.  Her team of advisers would likely include Kwarteng, Simon Clarke, Rees Mogg and Redwood.  If that doesn't bring folk to their senses nothing will.

Truss, with that quartet of advisers is certainly quite a prospect, but what can we do? 

Oh wait a minute, there is something we can do.

Come on Scotland, FFS....

13 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Ian Duncan Smith is on LBC talking up Truss’s “steel”. He’s made multiple references to her steeliness. I was waiting for the obligatory steeliness (shared by Kezia Dugdale, Ruth Davidson, Douglas Ross) to make its media appearances.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/local-council/will-elizabeth-truss-stand-for-tory-leader-9128130

Oh great. A leader who can be drawn off course by a kid with a magnet. 

On 28/07/2022 at 20:21, Granny Danger said:

One of the by products of the Truss shit show is that Mogg will most likely retain a front bench bed post.  It beggars belief.

C03D62F9-92BC-41F0-A726-A92242A63423.thumb.jpeg.36d9044670b6c186181d2d7717cc9b2f.jpeg

I've hadn't noticed before, but is Nadine wiping her mouth or spitting something out into her hand there?

24 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I've hadn't noticed before, but is Nadine wiping her mouth or spitting something out into her hand there?

Furiously worrying her nails after realising she's way out of her depth.

(I kid; that'll never happen)

There's still a month of this leadership bollocks to go, BTW. It's like waiting to find out if you're going to be stabbed to death with a rusty razor or suffocated with a damp nappy.

No kids here, but I know a few folk who have disowned their own parents because the aulds are typical Mail reading pensioners who lap up every single word of the shite they print, take it that what is printed in a newspaper must be absolute truth, and refuse to listen to anyone telling them they are being fed a diet of lies and propaganda. 

It's sad, but I can totally understand it because I think I'd be the same.

No kids here, but I know a few folk who have disowned their own parents because the aulds are typical Mail reading pensioners who lap up every single word of the shite they print, take it that what is printed in a newspaper must be absolute truth, and refuse to listen to anyone telling them they are being fed a diet of lies and propaganda. 
You've met my da then?

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

That's my old man. My strategy's been to listen to his ranting and pop in a passive comment about the contradictions in his arguments, making sure it doesn't come across as though I'm disagreeing with him. Stimulate the old grey matter.

He's piped down a lot over the past couple of years, as he doesn't understand why all of the promises and assumptions he's been making haven't come to pass (mainly to do with leaving the EU). As a working-class man, he's particularly confused about why the government seem more concerned with reducing workers' rights instead of deporting foreigners, who he blames for literally every problem to have beset the UK in the past seventy years (along with unions and universities, for some reason that I've never managed to establish).

It's actually quite painful to see the gradual dawning that he (and many of his generation) have been had, but I still can't feel too much sympathy as they aren't going to have to deal with consequences, and "the government aren't kicking out as many foreigners as we wanted" isn't a position that inspires much empathy.

21 hours ago, Clown Job said:

292E2874-8536-43D5-93CC-D100FA5B378B.jpeg

She even dressed to look like thatcher, next up will be the haircut.  From what I’ve heard about her Dads politics as Liz Truss described as Left of Old Labour I’m amazed he even speaks to her to have any kind of relationship let alone strained. I’m actually not convinced Truss is as Far Right as she appears.  I’m inclined to believe she’ll say and do anything to get to the top and has absolutely no principles. She’s the definition of “those are my principles and if you don’t like them I have others”. She’s been a Lib Dem, a CND protester, a Anti Monarchist, a Conservative, a Remainer, a Hard Brexiteer and now she’s at the Far Right of the ERG mob while singing GSTQ. She’ll switch her position to what she thinks will win her the top job. Both candidates are utterly awful it’s no wonder the Tory members wanted Boris to stay as the alternatives are so bad. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

22 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

She even dressed to look like thatcher, next up will be the haircut.  From what I’ve heard about her Dads politics as Liz Truss described as Left of Old Labour I’m amazed he even speaks to her to have any kind of relationship let alone strained. I’m actually not convinced Truss is as Far Right as she appears.  I’m inclined to believe she’ll say and do anything to get to the top and has absolutely no principles. She’s the definition of “those are my principles and if you don’t like them I have others”. She’s been a Lib Dem, a CND protester, a Anti Monarchist, a Conservative, a Remainer, a Hard Brexiteer and now she’s at the Far Right of the ERG mob while singing GSTQ. She’ll switch her position to what she thinks will win her the top job. Both candidates are utterly awful it’s no wonder the Tory members wanted Boris to stay as the alternatives are so bad. 

So is Boris; he changes his mind on issues more than his pants, and just pretends it didn't happen.

The only personal belief they really have is, "preserve my own interests, and reward those who can advance me further". It's horrifying to realise that they're just holding a mirror up to the electorate with every sadistic, punitive idea because it's apparently what we want. They don't care about most of it; they just think it'll keep the voters happy.

She'd fit really well into New Labour.

It's quite amusing watching Truss' supporters pushing her as some sort of 'radical'. That's right; someone who's been part of the government for the best part of the decade is a radical! It's continuity Johnson they're aiming for here and nothing else. A total chancer with no real beliefs of her own, painting themselves some sort of radical in attempt to win votes. This ended well before.

Even then, Truss lacks whatever charisma it was that Johnson had; never got it myself, but it worked. She doesn't have it. 

If Sunak hadn't imploded over his wife and the green card, I think he'd probably have still defeated her, even with her feeding-time-at-the-zoo pledges. She is happy to nod along with nonsense in the name of sacred Brexit - it's all she offers. It's not credible that a Remainer has been radicalised to pursuing policies that will end up seeing the trade agreement being suspended. But the particular electorate she's aiming at doesn't care. 

On that note, can anyone guess what the most recent attack line against Sunak is? 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/30/brandon-lewis-rishi-sunak-focused-keeping-eu-happy-northern/

The former cabinet minister claims the ex-chancellor put up ‘huge resistance’ to legislation, as he backs Liz Truss for the Tory leadership

Heretic! #StandUpForBrexit

In reality, the only grown up in the room has realised the government is chasing a damaging, hopeless cause. Particularly at a time of very high inflation, this is the last thing that the country needs. But that doesn't win you the votes you need, does it? Let's again just forget that Truss was the fucking Foreign Secretary when Johnson signed the NI Protocol, and there she was cheering it on.  

Edited by Michael W

On 30/07/2022 at 12:07, Boo Khaki said:

How the f**k does it take a month for Tory members to post in a ballot? The ones who are too auld and decrepit to hobble down to the village Post Office can surely just send the butler to do it anyway?

They need to travel a few miles as thei post office in the village has been shut.

4 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

She even dressed to look like thatcher, next up will be the haircut.  From what I’ve heard about her Dads politics as Liz Truss described as Left of Old Labour I’m amazed he even speaks to her to have any kind of relationship let alone strained. I’m actually not convinced Truss is as Far Right as she appears.  I’m inclined to believe she’ll say and do anything to get to the top and has absolutely no principles. She’s the definition of “those are my principles and if you don’t like them I have others”. 

She is essentially Johnson with a comb. And I think the Brexiters / hard right Tories backing her are going to be looking very silly in a few years. Her bluster about the protocol is a good example, as it's not possible to avoid further damage to the economy without further alignment with EU rules. As a result, I expect her to align with these rules before triggering Article 16. 

Edited by sparky88