Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

It doesn't matter if 90% of people in Scotland are in favour of independence if there is no legally recognised second vote. Truss has already ruled it out. The Attorney General for Scotland that decides whether Sturgeon (or any other First Minister) can unilaterally declare one will be appointed by her. Which way do you think they're likely to go?

The only way Scotland gets a second referendum is with a Labour Government lacking a majority which needs SNP support. No Tory PM/Attorney General will sign off on a second referendum in this era of Brexity flag-shagging that you voted for.

Lots of poor people will suffer under Truss, finding said suffering cause for celebration is revolting behaviour.

Lots of poor people are and have suffered under the Tories for over a decade.  Complacency about that is revolting behaviour.

I think the SNP have a high likelihood of holding the balance of power after the next GE and must use that to ensure IndyRef 2.  That will only be done by them holding to their principles; more chance of that than Labour or the Tories doing so.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The problem with this is that you can no more reason with the Tory Party of 2022 than you can with a rabid dog.  They need to be metaphorically put down at the ballot box and the most expedient way of that happening is for a Tory-owned recession piloted by an economic illiterate populist like Truss.

There are simply no shades of good or better here.

I disagree. Major was useless but much less evil than Thatcher. Reagan was a shite President but not an actual Nazi like Trump. There are levels of cuntishness and Truss is far worse than the admittedly quite shite Sunak for starters. She's already gone out of her way to denounce his furlough scheme which, while not without its flaws, was still probably the best economic policy the Tories have come up with in decades.

Truss will be a disaster for the least wealthy people all over the UK. 

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I disagree. Major was useless but much less evil than Thatcher. Reagan was a shite President but not an actual Nazi like Trump. There are levels of cuntishness and Truss is far worse than the admittedly quite shite Sunak for starters. She's already gone out of her way to denounce his furlough scheme which, while not without its flaws, was still probably the best economic policy the Tories have come up with in decades.

Whereas tax dodging Sunak will be their saviour?  Totally delusional.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Lots of poor people are and have suffered under the Tories for over a decade.  Complacency about that is revolting behaviour.

I think the SNP have a high likelihood of holding the balance of power after the next GE and must use that to ensure IndyRef 2.  That will only be done by them holding to their principles; more chance of that than Labour or the Tories doing so.

Of course the Tories have made people suffer for a decade, which makes it even more stupid to cheerlead for a candidate who is going to make them even worse.

Not sure what the SNP's principles has to do with it, they'll be pro-Indy whoever is leader. Agree their only hope is a Labour Government in which the SNP hold the balance of power, as I said.

Supporting someone Far Right doesn't make that any more likely though, unless you believe that the UK (well, mainly English) public are suddenly going to wake up from their Brexity racist GSTQ ways and stop voting for Union Jack shaggers. I don't see that happening any time soon though, sadly.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Whereas tax dodging Sunak will be their saviour?  Totally delusional.

Can you quote where I said that? I said Sunak will be shite but Truss will be far worse. 

Because, you know, it's obviously true.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

And she will be a Brexit-fuelled disaster for the middle-classes who have little experience of genuine economic pain, and that will be a hugely powerful catalyst for Tory electoral implosion.

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

Of course the Tories have made people suffer for a decade, which makes it even more stupid to cheerlead for a candidate who is going to make them even worse.

Not sure what the SNP's principles has to do with it, they'll be pro-Indy whoever is leader. Agree their only hope is a Labour Government in which the SNP hold the balance of power, as I said.

Supporting someone Far Right doesn't make that any more likely though, unless you believe that the UK (well, mainly English) public are suddenly going to wake up from their Brexity racist GSTQ ways and stop voting for Union Jack shaggers. I don't see that happening any time soon though, sadly.

The SNP holding the balance of power after the next GE is the best, and possibly only, hope for the people of Scotland.  That is more likely under Truss as PM that Sunak IMO.

If shite Tory 1 in charge for 28 months instead of shite Tory 2 is the price to pay then so be it.  It’s not going to be great if Sunak wins either.

Quite something reading all the  separatist fanatics denouncing the new Tory leader and PM.

I think either will do just fine but I think I would prefer Truss due to her tax cutting pledges.

Hardly a balanced thread but hey- ho, that’s P&B for you.

Keep banging away folks as your ‘independence’ looks just as far away as ever.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

The SNP holding the balance of power after the next GE is the best, and possibly only, hope for the people of Scotland.  That is more likely under Truss as PM that Sunak IMO.

If shite Tory 1 in charge for 28 months instead of shite Tory 2 is the price to pay then so be it.  It’s not going to be great if Sunak wins either.

No but it will be a lot worse under Truss, and there is far from a guarantee that the British public won't elect a Far Right, bigoted loony at the next election... see 2019 Election.

14 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Quite something reading all the  separatist fanatics denouncing the new Tory leader and PM.

I think either will do just fine but I think I would prefer Truss due to her tax cutting pledges.

Tax cutting for the rich? Where are the funds for these tax cuts?

19 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

*Our

And it's on its way, it'll take a few years but it's in sight.

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Labour won't enable a referendum. They would absolutely be prepared to lose an election which has a 5, 10, 20 year consequence than throw a bun to the SNP. They've already said that they'll dare the SNP to vote down a Labour govt and in my view they'll stand by that or risk losing any semblance of trust in England. 

Scotland will need to secure a court ruling or prepare for some form of UDI following a general election. I don't believe Westminster will move despite the obvious democracy denial. 

20 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

If taxes are cut then services will suffer.  Do you want to personally pay your refuse collector., traffic warden (ha) school teacher,

etc? Or do you just want to privatise them and pay higher costs to cover dividend payments to shareholders?

2 minutes ago, HTG said:

Labour won't enable a referendum. They would absolutely be prepared to lose an election which has a 5, 10, 20 year consequence than throw a bun to the SNP. They've already said that they'll dare the SNP to vote down a Labour govt and in my view they'll stand by that or risk losing any semblance of trust in England. 

Scotland will need to secure a court ruling or prepare for some form of UDI following a general election. I don't believe Westminster will move despite the obvious democracy denial. 

There’s a big difference between what is said before/during a campaign and what happens once the results are in.

The average Labour voter in rUK doesn’t give a flying f**k about another IndyRef, if Starmer was to pass up the chance of a Labour government by refusing one he’d be out on his arse.  

13 minutes ago, HTG said:

In that case the SNP should absolutely be doing it. It isn't the job of the SNP to drag a shit awful Labour Party that can't defeat an even worse Tory party across the finishing line. I totally get the 'but what about our referendum/it's an opportunity', but if Labour is determined to act the c**t they flagrantly don't give a shit about 'governing the whole of the UK in it's best interest' so the SNP shouldn't be abetting them and absolutely should call them out on it. It's clear that SLAB would not countenance assisting an SNP minority government here, so why the f**k shoudl the SNP prop one up at Westminster?

Worse case scenario we end up back in another GE, Labour comes back still unable to form a govt without SNP help, and this time they decide to act like grown ups.

26 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

No but it will be a lot worse under Truss, and there is far from a guarantee that the British public won't elect a Far Right, bigoted loony at the next election... see 2019 Election.

This. Just wait until the right wing meeja ramps up the claims that all the problems are due to brexit not being done properly and it's the lefty, remainer, civil service that's holding us back, and the lefty BBC, and the commie SNP and those nasty union bully boys .....and the metric system....and covid, and the weather (but not climate change) and immigration (nearly forgot that one).   GSTQ (for now) and Bring Back Boris, he was great. 

The UK is in big trouble imo.

Truss to get in to take the wrap for the Boris failures Truss losses election gets punted so dishy Rishi gets in with a clean slate and blames Starmer for everything for a few years and Tories back in 😉

I was discussing with a few folk recently about how 10-15 years ago, all 3 major WM parties (the Lib Dems were semi-major anyway) had someone that, whether or not you agreed with their politics, you could say they were at least semi-respectable options as potential Prime Minister, or you at least considered them as statesperson-like, and felt that they were at least trying to do what they thought was right for the country

In a few weeks time, potentially both Boris Johnson and Liz Truss may have served at least a week as Prime Minister, and I honestly can't think of anyone in any of the 3 parties (at least off the top of my head) who I could actually cope with as Prime Minister. It's genuinely fucking mental.