Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Is being called a 'Jock' offensive?

Haven't heard that one for decades, you hear it in old war movies, same with an Irishman being called a 'Paddy' or a Welshman being called a 'Taff' depending on where they originate from that's not England.

I there a similar one for an Englishman, like being called a 'Trevor' or a 'Nigel'? I've never heard it, these names always come from one direction from an English perspective?

Has anyone here been called a Jock and wondered 'is that person talking to me''?

Have you called anyone by one of these names when you are too lazy to remember or find out what their actual real name is?

Does anyone here still hate Jimmy Hill?

I’d love us to get to a stage where we stop caring whether any labels, ‘slurs’ etc, even when it’s to do with a ‘protected characteristic 🙄‘, are offensive or not.

‘Jock’ really isn’t a big deal.  Nor is ‘Nigel’ or ‘Sassenach’.

Many are desperate to claim things are offensive/racist/sexist or of one of today’s so called newly discovered phobias these days.

That’s the stage we’ve got to in snowflake Scotland ❄️

I’m sure Wallace and Bruce would be proud.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
5 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:
It's not about cracking down on anyone, including 'Jocks'.
The SNP don't speak for the Scottish people.  They represent a minority.  Scots do not want Independence, nor do they want continuous referenda.

Really think u need to separate the SNP from independence movement. Plenty of people support one and not the other. And yes, that works both ways

That’s a fair point.. I’m guilty of that at times.

I think it would be a good idea for MPs (including ministers) annual pay rises to be restricted to the lowest percentage (or cash sum if applicable) awarded in the public sector generally. 

Oh, and for about the next decade (or maybe longer) these rises needs to be met from annual efficiency savings in the running costs of Parliament (not the public sector budget as a whole, the actual costs of Parliament attributed to the day to day activities of the HoC/HoL). Now, that might mean reducing allowances, reducing subsidies of food and drinks, fewer holidays, faster voting procedures, etc. Anyone watching a vote in Westminster must wonder what they are watching. These folk fighting like rats in a sack over who gets the big chair demand efficiency savings from everyone else, yet seem content to have working practices of their own that probably haven't changed much since a bloke used to have to carry a flag in front of a moving car. 

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Is being called a 'Jock' offensive?

Haven't heard that one for decades, you hear it in old war movies, same with an Irishman being called a 'Paddy' or a Welshman being called a 'Taff' depending on where they originate from that's not England.

I there a similar one for an Englishman, like being called a 'Trevor' or a 'Nigel'? I've never heard it, these names always come from one direction from an English perspective?

Has anyone here been called a Jock and wondered 'is that person talking to me''?

Have you called anyone by one of these names when you are too lazy to remember or find out what their actual real name is?

Does anyone here still hate Jimmy Hill?

Yes, it’s a derogatory term and it’s just plain ignorant to call every Scot “Jock” or every Irishman “Paddy”. Was in the military and it’s extremely common to be called a Jock or a Sweaty. 

John Bull or “John” is probably the closet to a name for an Englishman. think it was commonly used in the past but died out as I’ve rarely heard it used. 

7 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Badenoch is a nasty piece of political work but she has little of the insincere vanity of her rivals.  

She would be a great PM.

12 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Yes, it’s a derogatory term and it’s just plain ignorant to call every Scot “Jock” or every Irishman “Paddy”. Was in the military and it’s extremely common to be called a Jock or a Sweaty. 

John Bull or “John” is probably the closet to a name for an Englishman. think it was commonly used in the past but died out as I’ve rarely heard it used. 

Can’t say I agree with this.  I was also called Jock.  Didn’t find it offensive at all.  Loads of lads had nicknames based on where they are from (scouse, manky etc.)

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Can’t say I agree with this.  I was also called Jock.  Didn’t find it offensive at all.  Loads of lads had nicknames based on where they are from (scouse, manky etc.)

And that’s fine if they choose to go by that name but to walk up to a person you don’t know and call them Jock, Paddy, Scouse etc based on where they’re from without bothering to learn if they are happy to be called that is the height of ignorance. 

10 minutes ago, Left Back said:

What if they were from Pakistan?

Edited by Granny Danger

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What if they from Pakistan?

Totally different thing but then you know that.  There’s always an exception where a particular form of behaviour is acceptable 99% of the time and not the other 1%.

The shortened form of that name has always been a derogatory term to people of a certain skin colour.  Ironically it would mostly have been used against people from another country who have zero love for the Pakistani people.

No-one ever called anyone Jock or Taff because of their skin colour.