Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm not sure, but I can't claim it (pension credit) as my state pension is above the limit for claiming pension credit.

Can't be certain since I haven't been involved in this area for quite a while, but I think Guarantee Pension Credit is higher than the maximum state pension. Fairly sure there are several welfare rights experts posting on P&B who can confirm or contradict this.

43 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

According to reports, huge numbers of people over 50 have decided to permanently retire during the last 2 years.

That's a lot of bodies permanently lost from the workforce.

Many of this age group will have paid off their mortgages and seen their kids leave home and will have downsized both in terms of selling their family homes and in terms of monthly outgoings.

Recent price increases might see some coming back into the workplace temporarily until things settle down again but there's a huge hole to fill in the employment market. And that's on top of countless EU workers who are no longer here.

Policies that protect asset prices and returns on assets held by (relatively) wealthy people by suppressing inflation and real interest rates at the expense of full employment made this possible. 

If real interest rates rise in response to perceived and/or real inflationary pressures, the returns on other asset classes will come down and will reduce their price. 

A tidy portfolio of buy to let and trackers could be worth a lot less this time next year. 

So in might not just be the expense side of the household budget that brings people back into work. 

42 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

What add-ons are you talking about?

The Graduated Pension scheme was replaced in 1978 by SERPS which has also ended.

Thanks- yes SERPS. Okay, it’s ended but if you paid into it you still get something for the contributions.

I think  I better butt out of this as I’m obviously way out of date and can’t really be bothered researching it.

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Or they could be worth a lot more.

We've been waiting on this housing market correction for the best part of 3 decades now and other than a minor blip in 2008 which has now been entirely recovered from (and some), we're no closer to it happening.

I'm afraid it's going to take a political class who actually want to do something about it to correct things properly. Problem is it would appear that most of them are balls-deep in property ownership themselves.

Possibly. 

You assume that the political class can control this as they'd like in extremis. 

We currently have full employment and inflation, which suggests that there's a good chance they've fucked it. 

Maybe they'll find a way but i hope not. 

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Well they could if they wanted to.

Our political classes could end the problem of spiralling house prices and spiralling rents by announcing a ban on all Buy to Let properties, flooding the country with new social housing which would be under covenant to never be sold and also banning all foreign property ownership.

As for full employment and inflation, those are two separate problems. They have little control over inflation right now because it's about global fuel prices - they just need to make sure they don't see too many pay-rises which would exacerbate inflation. Some of the staff shortages are global issues. They can be held responsible for Brexit though (which is the main part). All of those staffing and inflationary issues are and will eventually be recoverable. It's only a matter of figuring out how long it'll take to fix and who is going to suffer for it until that happens.

That's not how they'd like to control asset prices though. I like your fairy story, but it won't happen.

There is a strong and persistent negative correlation between changes in inflation and changes in unemployment. So they're not separate problems. How they're linked is a bit more of a mystery. 

Global fuel price contributes to inflation but isn't all. Brexit isn't just about labour. Balance of trade deterioration has reduced the relative price of sterling increasing the cost of all imports, including but not limited to fuel. 

Traditionally the government would be raising interest rates to control inflation. That can work by suppressing demand, where there's more of a demand component than there appears to be now. It can also work by raising demand for Sterling gilts internationally (so increasing exchange rates and making imports cheaper). 

If they do that then they'll inevitably hurt asset prices. I don't know if they will do that but the cental bank has indicated that they will (but they might be hoping that the stated intent will have the desired effect. 

Britain is doing worse than most peers on inflation and growth due to incompetent management. It's really unlikely that we'll get competent any time soon. 

Politics turning into mob rule is really the last thing we need right now, but it's happening. 

These are dangerous times. 

5 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Howling at the "Wife stands by Vicar despite affair with local parishioner" energy emanating off this photo. Honestly, just look at it. Textbook "betrayed wife turns to bottle but stands by man" vibes.

image.png.674584e405b70ea8c164d0c602917986.png

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

What's the opposite of virtue signalling?

Bigotry broadcasting?

What are they up to, drinking in the middle of a working day whilst the country spirals into the shit. But aye we should be going after a few benefit cheats. 

Screenshot_20220712-173010.jpg

Couldn't help but hear David (arse) Davis endorsing Mordaunt, with all the usual shit like honesty, integrity, making a fresh start, blah fucking blah, stating that she is very popular in Scotland.

How many in Scotland had heard of her up until now, and how many actually like her?

7 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Howling at the "Wife stands by Vicar despite affair with local parishioner" energy emanating off this photo. Honestly, just look at it. Textbook "betrayed wife turns to bottle but stands by man" vibes.

image.png.674584e405b70ea8c164d0c602917986.png

Bigotry broadcasting?

image.jpeg.b45cf4e8e5df2490ba7c691c89072b6b.jpeg

19 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I might be being whooshed here, but Morgan is the biggest virtue signaller around- witness his fawning over Captain Tom. 

Maybe i'm not taking this seriously enough or don't understand the internet slang right. 

He signals a complete lack of any virtues whatsoever to me and signals that he's a massive c**t.