The General Ross County Chat Thread

2 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Instead, we’ve now more strikers than Network Rail. I like the fact that, last night, we just went f**k it and launched everyone up front at once. It might make games more entertaining, if anything.

Sims had a free header on which he barely connected, but I don't remember any of the centre forwards having a chance created for or by them last night. Brophy had a couple of long range snapshots easily blocked. I worry about how chances are going to be created, even more so if three strikers are going to be on the pitch trying to not get in each other's way.

9 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

I know he’s only played one game but I think we missed Kenneh last night. If we’re going with three strikers we’ll rely on the midfield to create chances. Without Kenneh there was only Dandha creating anything from midfield. 

I tend to agree.  I think Kenneh is an improvement on Tillson.  Tillson offers very little going forward whilst what I saw of Kenneh he strives to disrupt then push forward, per the example of our first goal on Saturday.

I am still raging about Johnson being sold and Randall replacing him.  Randall clearly has no left foot, so why on the overlap he continually cuts in onto his weaker foot and lose all momentum is beyond me.  At the risk of sounding like a West Stand worthy, "get the ball in the box mun".  

10 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

I am still raging about Johnson being sold and Randall replacing him.  Randall clearly has no left foot, so why on the overlap he continually cuts in onto his weaker foot and lose all momentum is beyond me.  At the risk of sounding like a West Stand worthy, "get the ball in the box mun".  

I think County deliberately tried to isolate Lewis Stevenson at the back post. There were two cross-field balls in the first half that had Randall with free headers to nod back across goal, but he fu**ed it both times. He offers nothing in the final third, which is a problem in a team with no other width and too many strikers, but he is a trusted lieutenant to the manager in other respects so I can't see him being dropped in a hurry.

Owura Edwards played that wing-back role before the world cup break, so maybe when he gets over his injury he will get a chance there again.

Edited by bunglebonce

8 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

We have signed Gwion Edwards on loan from Wigan until end of season, plays on the wing 

Dont know what happened there. Seemingly a deal was done for Charlton to sign him from Wigan a couple of days ago. How can we take him on loan now the transfer window has shut

4 minutes ago, sting said:

Dont know what happened there. Seemingly a deal was done for Charlton to sign him from Wigan a couple of days ago. How can we take him on loan now the transfer window has shut

My guess is that it was faxed through before the deadline closed but they wanted to wait for international clearance before announcing it.

There are going to be a few in the squad left kicking their heels at this rate. The Scottish lower league's loan window is still open in February though, for what it's worth.

9 minutes ago, sting said:

Can only assume the deal was done before window closed, but they held up announcing it for personal or other reasons.

On 31/01/2023 at 23:55, Matty-RCFC said:

I’m sorry, I just don’t know if I share everyone’s optimism about Simon Murray. I think he’s coming to the end of his prime and there’s absolutely zero resale value there either. Also, Owen Coyle was saying to Sportsound prior to the Caley game tonight that Murray had been offered a “contract that Queen’s couldn’t get close to”. This is Queen’s Park who are not short of a bob, so you’d have to assume he’s now on a decent wage at County. As always, I’ll back the guy to the hilt, but I think we could definitely have got more bang for our buck.

Aye I’m genuinely curious to know roughly what type of contract county have offered here. No doubts he’d of been our highest earner but I heard that county had offered him a 3 year deal? Can’t begrudge him taking that deal at 31 if that’s the case. Bit of a risk for county giving that type of contract you think? Wouldn’t say he’s exactly premiership proven but I’d imagine he’ll do a job, he’s in the form of his life so good luck to him 

Can’t say I could bare to see him in the relegation play offs playing against us

Edited by qpfc

3 hours ago, qpfc said:

Aye I’m genuinely curious to know roughly what type of contract county have offered here. No doubts he’d of been our highest earner but I heard that county had offered him a 3 year deal? Can’t begrudge him taking that deal at 31 if that’s the case. Bit of a risk for county giving that type of contract you think? Wouldn’t say he’s exactly premiership proven but I’d imagine he’ll do a job, he’s in the form of his life so good luck to him 

Can’t say I could bare to see him in the relegation play offs playing against us

Have heard 3 years and expenses paid so he can continue to stay in Dundee. If that's true or not, I dunno.

10 hours ago, AndyX said:

Can play as wing-back apparently. I'd guess that's the plan. If there is a plan.

There's an interview with him from late 2019 where he states his favoured position is as a (right-footed) left winger, but that he has played wing-back and full-back before and, as is usually said by players out of position, he will play wherever asked.

Transfermarkt has his position as a right-winger almost exclusively since that interview.

Whoscored rate his defensive work. He has almost as many yellow cards as combined goals and assists in his 195 League One appearances. That more than anything suggests to me that Malky has an eye on Gwion being flexible between being the wing-back in the 3-4-1-2 and winger in whatever multi-striker concoction has to be conjured to fit everyone in.

1456691455_Screenshot2023-02-02at22_24_55.thumb.png.b66ec7a299490599b7b4aa788ab1fb71.png

Edited by bunglebonce

Think the 433 will work better with the presence of kenneh in the middle , wouldn’t try it tomorrow right enough 

I’d go tomorrow with

laidlaw

randall

watson

baldwin

iacovitti

ETA Harmon

kenneh

Loturi

dhanda

brophy 

white

callachan dropped as he’s been poor , loturi was pretty good coming on the other night

Edited by Rcfc fan

38 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

Think the 433 will work better with the presence of kenneh in the middle , wouldn’t try it tomorrow right enough 

I’d go tomorrow with

laidlaw

randall

watson

baldwin

iacovitti

kenneh

Loturi

dhanda

brophy 

white

callachan dropped as he’s been poor , loturi was pretty good coming on the other night

You don't think we'll need 11? 😉