The General Ross County Chat Thread

15 hours ago, Pm18180 said:

Jake Eastwood has been recalled by Sheffield United and we are looking to loan out Alex Samuel according to the P&J.

Both sounds fine to me , interesting we want to loan samuel rather than sell , malky obviously feels he still has something to offer

16 hours ago, Pm18180 said:

Jake Eastwood has been recalled by Sheffield United and we are looking to loan out Alex Samuel according to the P&J.

Absolutely bewildering that Eastwood was signed in the first place if the Blades expected him to get any playing time..

2 hours ago, Rcfc fan said:

Both sounds fine to me , interesting we want to loan samuel rather than sell , malky obviously feels he still has something to offer

I wouldn't read too much in to that. He's barely played in 18 months so needs to get back up to speed. He's got 6 months left on his contract, so if he can go out on loan at get some game time at a lower level then that puts him in a better position to get a new club in the summer. If he impresses, then we could offer him a new deal (but I don't think anyone considers that likely).

No one is going to want to take him off our hands as things stand so we'll need to pay the remainder of his contract regardless - either by paying up now and releasing him or going down the loan route, so the latter makes sense. It might even be possible for a loaning club to pay a percentage of his wages, but that'd probably depend on how much demand there is for his signature.

Laidlaw's alright. I think there's probably better out there, but other parts of the side are in far worse shape than goalkeeper.

Said it on the match thread but probably more suitable for here. I’m actually sitting hoping Livi go on and score again at times today to make the results seem worse and hopefully the pressure mounts. I actually don’t care what the score is anymore and that’s a pretty sad thing to say when you’re paying £300 for a season ticket or whatever it was this year. I will certainly not be back until he is gone and I assume I won’t be the only one.

On 06/01/2023 at 09:29, Rcfc fan said:

Loan with a view to a permanent move I’d reckon.  I also reckon he’ll go down as one of the least talented players to represent County in the top flight, which is saying something.  

Roy, Fergie and Malky have made a real honking mess of this version of a Ross County rebuild. It looks like it’s heading there same way as the Coyle, Fergie and Ketts experiment.

It’s obviously not easy too keep County as a Premiership club year after year, but it’s been really stale at County for years, that’s in my opinion. There’s clearly still plenty folk obviously thinking otherwise as the club are still well supported.  

4 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

Just as well we signed quite a few of these duds up for 2-3 years. 

Aye, there's been years where we've had players you'd want on a long-term deal rather than losing them after 12 months but this squad ain't it. Honestly, it's vibes of the Alex Smith days when we had some utter dross on 2 or 3 year deals.

Where does the club go from here?

A miraculous turnaround seems unlikely. Mackay had several weeks to work with them over the World Cup break, including a training camp in Spain. That was the opportunity to drill his philosophy (such as it is) in to the group, to properly bed in the new players. Since then it's one goal and one point from five games.

So if Mackay is to save the club from relegation, Macgregor needs to throw some cash at it and hope Mackay's contacts can throw up some new Joe Hungbos and Harry Clarkes.

Would a new manager get a better tune out of this squad? Debatable. But without investment we're going down anyway.

Maybe the long term project of Mackay's backroom restructuring is worth it in Macgregor's eyes? Go down, trust the foundations that have been put in place and come straight back up? That's by no means guaranteed.

Maybe it'll cost too much to sack him? I imagine he's on a decent wage. 

Mackay used to talk a good game, but he's increasingly sounding like a snake oil salesman. It'd be good to seem him go soon and we can put this whole sorry chapter behind us.

19 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

Just as well we signed quite a few of these duds up for 2-3 years. 

18 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Said it on the match thread but probably more suitable for here. I’m actually sitting hoping Livi go on and score again at times today to make the results seem worse and hopefully the pressure mounts. I actually don’t care what the score is anymore and that’s a pretty sad thing to say when you’re paying £300 for a season ticket or whatever it was this year. I will certainly not be back until he is gone and I assume I won’t be the only one.

Is this the St Johnstone thread?

1 hour ago, NorthStand10 said:

Is there some kind of succession plan in place for Ross County post Roy Macgregor? As clubs go you do appear to be far more reliant on one individual than most other Scottish clubs

Mid table championship, most likely.  

1 hour ago, NorthStand10 said:

Is there some kind of succession plan in place for Ross County post Roy Macgregor? As clubs go you do appear to be far more reliant on one individual than most other Scottish clubs

Yes and no.  Macgregor has invested in our infrastructure more than spunking money away on players chasing a pipedream, ala Gretna.  We have a great wee ground which is fit for purpose, good training facilities and backroom hospitality space.  However he has also put his hand in his pocket when its needed.  I dont think the Club would sink without him, but whether it would be sustainable without his financial clout is debatable.  I also dont think he is the kind of guy who would just disappear without some sort of succession plan.

In short, I dont have a clue.

20 hours ago, NorthStand10 said:

Savage Henry is right, County without McGregor will fall off back to where we were in the 2000s: in a good year challenge for the Championship playoffs, in a bad year get relegated to League One.

The club should be sustainable if people accept the need to cut back & we don't "chase the dream". Big if mind, after a decade spent mostly in the top flight I'd imagine some folk have gotten used to it, especially younger fans who are blessed to not remember the Alex Smith & Scott Leitch year(s)

20 hours ago, NorthStand10 said:

To add to what others have said, as well as having a pretty solid physical infrastructure in place, part of the motivation for the Malky Mackay project was to put a proper football infrastructure in place - recruitment department, sport science etc. That's all with a view to making the club more sustainable in the long run (although self-sustaining at Premiership level is a pipe dream, and I expect recognised as such).

Things would be very bad if Macgregor's support was pulled overnight, but there's no reason to expect that would happen. If they can close the gap between what the club brings in and what is spent, that puts the club in a better position for when the subsidy eventually dries up.

The difficulty in the short term is that it looks like this approach is condemning us to relegation. Whether it's been badly executed, or simply inevitable due to the the budget available is a matter of opinion (in reality it's probably somewhere in the middle). Additional investment this month from Macgregor could save us from relegation, but that's entirely up to him.

We've certainly no right to expect Premiership football in perpetuity. It'll come to an end sooner or later.

Good to hear your views, on the current footballing side of things I do think you’ve a good chance of avoiding the drop automatically if you can find goals from somewhere but that’s easier said than done. Confidence must also be lacking.

There’s little chance any premiership club is taken in a play-off by a championship side this season imo so I wouldn’t worry about that.