The General Ross County Chat Thread

5 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Big lump of shite that doesn’t score. Aye, he’ll be with us in no time.

Tbf, that's not strictly true.

Prior to his taking the huff this season he'd scored 41 goals in 99 games over the 20/21 and 21/22 seasons. 26 goals in 50 games last season had his stock pretty high but it seems no one was up for paying the fee Morecambe were looking for.

Those two seasons definitely stand out as being an exception for him though.

The story is being reported by Alan Nixon so you can take as much or little of a pinch of salt with that as you want. We've been quoted as also having an interest in bringing him in on a PCA.

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/12/19/ross-county-make-bid-for-motherwell-and-forest-green-rovers-target/587859/

We were the Scottish club quoted as having an interest in the story that ran on December 11th re: Forest Green so there’s been a bit of chat about him on our thread

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/league-one-club-rivalling-scottish-premiership-outfit-for-morecambe-talisman/

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, that's not strictly true.

Prior to his taking the huff this season he'd scored 41 goals in 99 games over the 20/21 and 21/22 seasons. 26 goals in 50 games last season had his stock pretty high but it seems no one was up for paying the fee Morecambe were looking for.

Those two seasons definitely stand out as being an exception for him though.

The story is being reported by Alan Nixon so you can take as much or little of a pinch of salt with that as you want. We've been quoted as also having an interest in bringing him in on a PCA.

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/12/19/ross-county-make-bid-for-motherwell-and-forest-green-rovers-target/587859/

We were the Scottish club quoted as having an interest in the story that ran on December 11th re: Forest Green so there’s been a bit of chat about him on our thread

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/league-one-club-rivalling-scottish-premiership-outfit-for-morecambe-talisman/

The fact he’s taken the huff and chucked it is enough of a red flag about the guy. Will obviously back him if he were to sign, but not expecting fireworks.

1 hour ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I see MacKinnon and Wright have been recalled early from their loan spell at Montrose.

They both got good game time there so are they back for the squad or maybe a loan out to a Championship team?

Do you know of any championship clubs that are desperately short of players?

1 hour ago, Rcfc fan said:

he’s not perfect and can have the odd blooper but generally he is decent.

I think the phrase is “damned by faint praise”. A 3 1/2 year contract for a keeper that is “generally decent” doesn’t fill me with hope for an improved squad. As you say he is generally decent, but his distribution isn’t great. In a team that’s scoring loads of goals it is probably liveable, but unfortunately that’s not where we are. It smacks to me of preparation for the Championship and a hope that we can bounce back as before.

21 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

I think the phrase is “damned by faint praise”. A 3 1/2 year contract for a keeper that is “generally decent” doesn’t fill me with hope for an improved squad. As you say he is generally decent, but his distribution isn’t great. In a team that’s scoring loads of goals it is probably liveable, but unfortunately that’s not where we are. It smacks to me of preparation for the Championship and a hope that we can bounce back as before.

Can’t say it smacks of a return to the championship as Laidlaw never played for us in the championship , there’s nothing to say we won’t bring in another keeper in those 3.5 years as top choice or to fight with Laidlaw for the position 

3 hours ago, Rcfc fan said:

Can’t say it smacks of a return to the championship as Laidlaw never played for us in the championship , there’s nothing to say we won’t bring in another keeper in those 3.5 years as top choice or to fight with Laidlaw for the position 

I think you miss my point. If you’re anticipating relegation you need to ensure a core of your squad stay to give you a base to build on. Players out of contract at the end of a season when a team’s relegated tend to look to stay in the top league.

Would Laidlaw sign a one year deal while we’re bottom of the league? Probably less likely, so you offer him a better deal than you would do if you’re confident of staying up and looking to improve the squad. As it was said, he is generally decent. Enough for the Championship, but imo not great for the top league.