The General Ross County Chat Thread

I must admit, I thought it was a bit of an odd signing too considering the resources we already had in midfield, but I trusted Del had a plan in mind. I've been pretty unimpressed with him though any time that I've seen him. For example, the St. Mirren game he was sent out with the chance to prove himself, and just didn't do himself any justice. It's a shame it hasn't worked out for him, but it's no major loss.

While talking of central midfielders though, I'd like to point out that while he wasn't on the pitch for long against Partick, I was actually pretty impressed with Flynn playing there. He seemed confident enough on the ball, and the vision to play that through ball for Craig (the one he just ran out of time to get away before the keeper closed him down) was surprising. A possible new job for the big fellow?

Wonder if his performance there had any bearing on Adams feeling more comfortable letting Duncan go on loan? I didnt get up north to see the game, but I've heard pretty good things about how Flynn played.

Wonder if his performance there had any bearing on Adams feeling more comfortable letting Duncan go on loan? I didnt get up north to see the game, but I've heard pretty good things about how Flynn played.

Perhaps. I just didn't sense any desire to even attempt to work his way into the squad, and apparently most of the season he just hasn't been showing it in training, which is a shame.

As I said with Flynn, I was very surprised by how comfortable he looked there, and mainly the ball that he threaded through for Craig. It wasn't a defenders punt, it was a perfectly weighted through ball that Craig was just a yard short of tucking away. He looked pretty composed too, passing it neatly sideways when any pressure was applied instead of just punting it.

As I said with Flynn, I was very surprised by how comfortable he looked there, and mainly the ball that he threaded through for Craig. It wasn't a defenders punt, it was a perfectly weighted through ball that Craig was just a yard short of tucking away. He looked pretty composed too, passing it neatly sideways when any pressure was applied instead of just punting it.

It shouldn't be surprising at all. Flynn's distribution at the back has always been first class. His long diagonals to the right wing are stupidly good for a SFL defender. Him being a natural centre-back will help him stay disciplined in front of the back four, in theory. It'd take longer than a 5 min cameo to really tell if he's good for the nuances of the holding position, but the signs are good.

Edited by bunglebonce

Russell Duncan was a great servant for us. COuld be that he just didn't fit into County's XI this season. Who normally plays central midfield for you?

Lawson and Kettlewell. Lawson the deep-lying play-maker; Kettlewell the box-to-box player. They haven't lost a league game together since Feb '10.

Duncan never fitted in, because County's system has always relied on swift passing to the flanks from the base of midfield or threaded balls to the forwards. Kettlewell does his blood and thunder part, slightly further up the pitch.

Russell Duncan was a great servant for us. COuld be that he just didn't fit into County's XI this season. Who normally plays central midfield for you?

One of the guys at work is an ICT fan and he says the same. He would rather have Duncan back in Inverness than Munro, which on what I've seen this season is astonishing.

It shouldn't be surprising at all. Flynn's distribution at the back has always been first class. His long diagonals to the right wing are stupidly good for a SFL defender. Him being a natural centre-back will help him stay disciplined in front of the back four, in theory. It'd take longer than a 5 min cameo to really tell if he's good for the nuances of the holding position, but the signs are good.

That's an interesting option. The Lawson role has been best carried out by Lawson and in his absence Brittain. I had not considered Flynn as another possibility there. It could really work, but he may take time to learn to always be in the right place - especially being available for defenders passing forward. As a defender himself he should get that pretty easily though.

The boy can strike a shot at goal too! Nearly scored on Tuesday.

It's good to have choices.

That's an interesting option. The Lawson role has been best carried out by Lawson and in his absence Brittain. I had not considered Flynn as another possibility there. It could really work, but he may take time to learn to always be in the right place - especially being available for defenders passing forward. As a defender himself he should get that pretty easily though.

The boy can strike a shot at goal too! Nearly scored on Tuesday.

It's good to have choices.

I thought he played there on occasion for Dundee? He's certainly not a full back though, I'm glad that experiment was swiftly ended.

We have a very small squad, so I find it surprising we would let him go out on loan.

Flynn played 5 mins against a tired Thistle team, so no way you can say he can play there from that 5 minutes.

Next week Vigurs is out suspended. If we have two players( Defenders/Midfielders) injured in the next two games we would have to really shuffle the team about for the Falkirk game.

Don't know where that came from. Could have sworn he was on trial with them before we signed him.. Evidently not.

I'm almost certain he had a trial at Dundee, during the Melville era. A few Dundee fans kicked up a fuss claiming that Dundee couldn't afford his wages and County must be breaking the bank to sign him.

It has been noted on otb that adams is up for the running of manager of the year. I do realise that while its not a big award I would like to see him get the award as he clearly deserves all awards that will come his way for the turnaround that he has achieved at the club.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/

Edited by smd-staggie

We have a very small squad, so I find it surprising we would let him go out on loan.

Flynn played 5 mins against a tired Thistle team, so no way you can say he can play there from that 5 minutes.

Next week Vigurs is out suspended. If we have two players( Defenders/Midfielders) injured in the next two games we would have to really shuffle the team about for the Falkirk game.

I imagine he may have played there during training, with a view to seeing if he can play there at all... So it's based on training and 5 mins against a tired Thistle team wink.gif

Edited by dingdong1929

Zonal Marking's most recent edition of his video analyses concentrates on Newcastle's central midfield partnership between Tiote and Cabaye.

http://www.zonalmark...5/tiote-cabaye/

These thoughts are relevant to Ross County. I'm not convinced Morton would have scored their first goal had Kettlewell been on the pitch. Not for Kettlewell's defensive nous, but because Lawson plays deeper of the two. Lawson and Quinn don't have the same understanding - yet - and the last picture on my Morton blog shows both of them playing in line with each other, with a huge gap in front of the defence.

Vigurs and Quinn were together for Ayr's late equaliser, after Lawson was taken off. I'm not saying Quinn is a bad player, but rather it can be risky disrupting an effective midfield partnership and County have arguably lost out on a couple of wins because of it.

Edited by bunglebonce

Don't know where that came from. Could have sworn he was on trial with them before we signed him.. Evidently not.

Yeah, he was on trial with us. He played in the same trial game as Rhys Weston who we obviously signed (and is now captain).

We did try to sign Flynn but apparently could not afford his wages.

Maybe I'm totally wrong here Bunglebonce, but I think Quinn and Lawson are very similar players. I expected Lawson - rather than Kettlewell - to be replaced by Quinn on Tuesday night. I've noticed in a couple of away games that when Quinn has come on, he'll sit deeper and sort of play the "Lawson" role. However there have been other times when he hasn't played that role.

Just an observation but I could be way off.

Edited by yoda