The General Ross County Chat Thread

So rather than playing one of your centre-forwards wide right, you'd rather sign a centre-forward and, er, play him wide right?

Would this be the Gavin Swankie that played on the wing at this level for Dundee (and I presume Saint Johnstone)? Or a different one?

He fell into the trap of being a skilful striker hence being shoe-horned onto the wing.

23 goals last season suggest he'd be a bit wasted on the wing.

Well not really, because with the greatest of respect, the Third Division isn't an accurate representation of how well a player will do in the First Division.

Wide-right in a 4-2-3-1 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. It did the job for Dene Shields when he was meant to be a centre-forward.

I miss Dene Shields. I know it was in the 2nd Division but he was great wide-right that season. Pity about his bad injuries.

Swing and a miss.

Luckily we got our first choice signing target because he turned your lot down - otherwise your lolztastic moniker might be playing regularly rather than being a sub. Nothing to lose for us while you rely on Mr Mercenary as your sole candidate for goals.

Would that be the 'hot-shot' who has barely done anything in 4 years?

Would that be the 'hot-shot' who has barely done anything in 4 years?

The story of Colin McMenamin's career. Guffaw.

You offered a contract and he knocked it back, so if he isn't a hot-shot why did Adams want him?

Edited by vikingTON

...because County have an awful record of signing forwards who flatter to deceive. Luckily for us, your lot got him and we got the proven striker.

None of the injuries are recurring problems and he was a far better player than McMenamince has ever been prior to those.

More like you got second pick in the raffle while we got first and third.

Well not really, because with the greatest of respect, the Third Division isn't an accurate representation of how well a player will do in the First Division.

That goes without saying but if someone does score that many goals playing as a centre-forward (first player to score over 20 goals in the third since the crazy Gretna days) even at that level, it's a bit daft signing him only to stick him on the wing.

I think VT is deflecting. On paper Ross County look very strong squad-wise this season. It's not like McMenamin is their sole striker, they have several other decent options up there.

Didn't McMenamin score 7 or 8 goals in 15 games for Queens?

Hardly a shit return for a team that was really struggling through that period. If he gets good service he's a proven goalscorer at 1st division level.

Perhaps Di Giacomo has gone backwards drastically since I last saw him play a couple of years back but I would have said he is a much better player than Byrne.

The thing is with Di Giacamo, he will play quite well until the clocks go back in October, and you won't see anything from him until the go forward again in March.

For what ever reason, during his time with County he simply didn't do anything dduring the winter months.. In fact at one game the fastest I saw him run, was when he got subbed off, and he made his way to the warm shower.

I supppose the warmer climate on the Scottish Riviera that is Greenock, then Morton may just get a few extra weeks out of him during the season.

I think VT is deflecting. On paper Ross County look very strong squad-wise this season. It's not like McMenamin is their sole striker, they have several other decent options up there.

They have options but how many of them are prolific goalscorers?

County have an abundance of midfielders and attacking players, second strikers, call it what you want, but they appear dangerously reliant on a fairly average striker to get the goals: the major failing of last season. That's what they don't seem to get about 'di Jokamo' (the worst pun of the week ;)) - he's only a replacement for Stewart Kean so if he turns out to be at his worst, still probably an improvement on what we had. Getting Jackson too is an improvement on what we had. Is replacing (as it seems) Barrowman with McMenamin an improvement? Not convinced.

If Steven 'fucking' Craig gets his arse into gear and stays fit then maybe we will look a bit better up front. However, I would say we have no real options unless Byrne (who just seems to be here to make up the numbers) is semi-decent, and Morrow isn't actually as shit as everyone says he is.

What's the story with the young Wood chap? He's looked a good footballer when I've seen him. Maybe a bit tricksy for the SFL Hammerthrowing 1st Division but decent all the same.

:blink:

Think you might have the wrong bloke.

What's the story with the young Wood chap? He's looked a good footballer when I've seen him. Maybe a bit tricksy for the SFL Hammerthrowing 1st Division but decent all the same.

Wood was very good at being an impact sub last season, and his physical presence was useful sometimes, especially in the replay against Hibs. He offered something different. I liked him in the 09/10 season.

However since the start of the 10/11 season he seemed to lose a fair bit of weight and just looked incredibly sluggish. He can no longer hold a man off the ball, and he can't even jump for a header. He's turned from something promising, into an utterly abysmal footballer.

Eh ? Are we talking the same Garry Wood here ?

The main problem we have with the Garry wood we have, is his pace.... It's such that the contenental drift can catch him after a five yard head start !