The General Ross County Chat Thread

So are we expecting any last minute, left-field transfers today? I wonder if we might dip into the loan market, that's normally where the movement is on deadline day. A young, hungry striker from down South somewhere sounds good to me.

The Jailender on Twitter with a scary one

"Also hearing today that Ross County's Mihael Kovacevic is rumoured to have signed a pre-contract agreement with Hibernian"

If it's true what the hell are the club doing not having started these negotiations for at least another year by now. I realise you don't want to risk having SPL wages in the First Division, but it's looked clear that Dundee were heading down by the end of November, they had a month before PCA's could be negotiated. Losing Kova & Brittain is just disappointing. Signing fancy Serbians & Germans & Swiss & Greek lads is fine & all but I don't know why we can't do more to keep some of the folk already at the club.

The Jailender on Twitter with a scary one

"Also hearing today that Ross County's Mihael Kovacevic is rumoured to have signed a pre-contract agreement with Hibernian"

If it's true what the hell are the club doing not having started these negotiations for at least another year by now. I realise you don't want to risk having SPL wages in the First Division, but it's looked clear that Dundee were heading down by the end of November, they had a month before PCA's could be negotiated. Losing Kova & Brittain is just disappointing. Signing fancy Serbians & Germans & Swiss & Greek lads is fine & all but I don't know why we can't do more to keep some of the folk already at the club.

fearNot2.pngguinness.jpg

Assuming all business has been done, this is how the squad looks for the rest of the season:

Goalkeepers

Mark Brown

Michael Fraser

Defenders

Mihael Kovacevic

Andre Hainault

Scott Boyd

Grant Munro

Branislav Micic

Evangelos Ikonomou

Midfielders

Ivan Sproule

Richard Brittain

Rocco Quinn

Paul Lawson

Stuart Kettlewell

Mark Fotheringham

Martin Scott

Iain Vigurs

Alex Cooper

Strikers

Sam Morrow

Gary Glen

Steffen Wohlfarth

Steven Ross

And the usual under-20s that appear on the bench: MacPhee and Dingwall

The team still looks weak up front so fingers crossed that the guy from Grasshoppers gets confirmed before the window shuts. That winger from Charlton wouldn't be bad either, even if it is just for the numbers.

The team still looks weak up front so fingers crossed that the guy from Grasshoppers gets confirmed before the window shuts. That winger from Charlton wouldn't be bad either, even if it is just for the numbers.

As I said in another thread, we only had one more move lined up for today for a striker but it fell through this morning due to failing to get international clearance in time. Anything else that happens now is a last minute deal, and perhaps a panic buy/loan. I wouldn't get too excited.

We've done well this transfer window by punting all the fringe players and adding 5 new ones. Ikonomou and Sproule the stand outs so far. Would have liked one more striker though!

In

Ivan Sproule (Hibs)

Evangelos Ikonomou (Atromitos)

Andre Hainault (Houston Dynamo)

Steffan Wohlfarth (SV Wehen)

Branislav Mcic (Sion)

Out

Russell Duncan (Brora Rangers)

Joe Malin (Elgin City)

Steven Craig (Partick Thistle)

Colin Mcmenamin (Greenock Morton)

Kurtis Byrne (Dundalk)

Mark Corcoran (Stenhousemuir)

Marc Fitzpatrick

Jon Bateson

Ross Tokely

Edited by staggy4life

I'm a football fan. It's my job to panic & over-react with a complete disregard for rational thought!

:lol:

Try not to worry too much. Remember last January when Boyd and Vigurs both signed PCA's? Rumours spread far too easily these days.

While negotiations are taking place, no-one needs to know but the player and the other club. The current employer doesn't need to give permission or consent, that's the premise of the Bosman ruling in the first place. When the deal is done that is when the player tells everyone.

The rules in the latest Football Manager game suggest that a PCA signed for another club within the same country within the UK allows for the PCA to only be signed a month before the end of the current contract, but six months for cross-border. If correct, that would mean Brittain couldn't sign a PCA with six months to go! I don't think that can be correct.

Edited by bunglebonce

While negotiations are taking place, no-one needs to know but the player and the other club. The current employer doesn't need to give permission or consent, that's the premise of the Bosman ruling in the first place. When the deal is done that is when the player tells everyone.

The rules in the latest Football Manager game suggest that a PCA signed for another club within the same country within the UK allows for the PCA to only be signed a month before the end of the current contract, but six months for cross-border. If correct, that would mean Brittain couldn't sign a PCA with six months to go! I don't think that can be correct.

That was kind of my point. It's why PCA rumours aren't the way to go on, say, Sky Sports or BBC rumours pages. You are much better off going with, oh, Jamie Ness or Momo Sylla. :wink: Once it's been signed the player needs to inform his employers. Our Swiss adonis, as opposed to our Greek, Canadian or German adoniseseses, is going nowhere. I actually think he's a terrific player that we would be well advised to sign up though.

I think we're all kinda on the same wavelength. The point I was alluding to is that there's no point buying into the rumour that Kova's signed a PCA when there's been absolutely no announcement from anyone. Best not to panic and just wait and see. With regards the 1 month PCA rule, I think that's something that applies to England, not to Scotland.

I would like to echo the sentiments of others though. It's all well and good signing new players and cutting the dead weight (although I thought fitz could still do a job for us) but at some point we need to start looking after our own. Having to build an entirely new squad in the summer does not bode well for next year, just look at QPR and other clusterfuck organisations like them.

My favourite thing about this thread now is that because of the new forum layout and that yoda started the thread, each page is accompanied by a picture of Wohlfarth downing 2 litres of beer...

I spent a lecture today counting the bookings for each player :geek

Quinn = 7 yellow cards (has already served 1 suspension)

Vigurs = 6 yellow cards (needs to serve 1 suspension after yellow vs Hibs)

Boyd = 5 yellow cards

Kettlewell = 5 yellow cards

Munro = 4 yellow cards

Brittain = 4 yellow cards

Fotheringham = 4 yellows cards

Kovacevic = 3 yellow cards

Okonomou = 1 yellow card

Scott = 1 yellow card

Cooper = 1 yellow card

I used the SPL website rather than the sometimes unreliable BBC.

Edited by yoda

I spent a lecture today counting the bookings for each player :geek

Quinn = 7 yellow cards (has already served 1 suspension)

Vigurs = 6 yellow cards (needs to serve 1 suspension after yellow vs Hibs)

Boyd = 5 yellow cards

Kettlewell = 5 yellow cards

Munro = 4 yellow cards

Brittain = 4 yellow cards

Fotheringham = 4 yellows cards

Kovacevic = 3 yellow cards

Okonomou = 1 yellow card

Scott = 1 yellow card

Cooper = 1 yellow card

I used the SPL website rather than the sometimes unreliable BBC.

So when will Vigurs serve the suspension, against Dundee?

Spot on re: BBC. I got berated by a Thistle fan on Twitter for suggesting they had the second worst disciplinary record in the SFL, when they were third - I used the Beeb for some red card counts.

Regarding Forwards and whether we have enough of them, I'd count Sproule as a Forward. In the Second half on Wednesday he was playing alongside or further forward than Fans Favourite Morrow for at least a while (by my watch). He can finish.

We have Ross, Glenn, FF Morrow, WoolFart & Sproule. None too shabby.

Cooper Vigurs, Quinn and even Brittain are good in Really Quite Forward roles too.

If we had any more Forwards, at least 1 or 2 of them would rarely / never get a game. So we're no better off. Players, especially Forwards, need to get a decent run of appearances to be at their best.