The General Ross County Chat Thread

I'm not a big fan of Woods either. He's perhaps a bit better than McShane, but then McShane's younger, has only just stepped up and has potential.

I hope to hell we don't let him anywhere near set-pieces.

Or penalties. Boyce is our penalty guy now.

Relieved to see the above posts, bit of a Woods love-in on OTB, which I just dont get.

I never took to him, and my last impression was of him away to Killie where he was honking. Some 'Laugh-out-loud they were so bad' set-pieces, set-up a Killie goal with a really badly hit 'clever' pass to no-one, and was regularly over-run. All this compounded by Rocco coming on for him at h-t and scoring, and it being Brittains last game.

He does look good in bursts, but given we have enough midfielders I don't really see the point.

All that said, the balance of our central midfield has maybe been our weak spot so far this season (albeit thats looked better with Rocco in there).

If Woods helps address that, and the other midfielders are content to accommodate his place in the squad, then fair play.

In Jim we trust, etc. etc.

Edited by dingdong1929

Another 'long term' deal for Woods as well (2 years plus option of a 3rd). Is that part of the reason you guys have had a more solid start? I see a lot of your signings this time round have been on 2 year contracts unlike the one year deals the Dutch lads got a season or two back. Oddly enough the tables seem to have turned in that aspect as we're now the side handing out short term contracts to players.

Another 'long term' deal for Woods as well (2 years plus option of a 3rd). Is that part of the reason you guys have had a more solid start? I see a lot of your signings this time round have been on 2 year contracts unlike the one year deals the Dutch lads got a season or two back. Oddly enough the tables seem to have turned in that aspect as we're now the side handing out short term contracts to players.

County and Caley are almost certainly after the same players, and we're also competing with similar size clubs down south. Giving an extra year is the only way we'll get them to come up, even if we aren't paying the same sort of wages. Andrew Davies is a case in point; there's no way County are paying him anything close to what he was on at Bradford, and I'm sure other Premiership teams were offered him, but the extra year on the contract clinches the deal.

What was Steven Saunders like with you guys? Apparently he's training with us...

Chocolate ankles. Decent centre half. Never, ever a right back. Despite what he seems to think. He's not a patch on our current centre backs, but I daresay he could do a job for six months.

Relieved to see the above posts, bit of a Woods love-in on OTB, which I just dont get.

I never took to him, and my last impression was of him away to Killie where he was honking. Some 'Laugh-out-loud they were so bad' set-pieces, set-up a Killie goal with a really badly hit 'clever' pass to no-one, and was regularly over-run. All this compounded by Rocco coming on for him at h-t and scoring, and it being Brittains last game.

He does look good in bursts, but given we have enough midfielders I don't really see the point.

All that said, the balance of our central midfield has maybe been our weak spot so far this season (albeit thats looked better with Rocco in there).

If Woods helps address that, and the other midfielders are content to accommodate his place in the squad, then fair play.

In Jim we trust, etc. etc.

On balance, I would take Woods of last season over Rocco of this season. Both are prone to occassional silly errors, but for me Woods is more likely to be actively involved in link up play, and Rocco is more likely to give away a free kick in a dangerous area.

On balance, I would take Woods of last season over Rocco of this season. Both are prone to occassional silly errors, but for me Woods is more likely to be actively involved in link up play, and Rocco is more likely to give away a free kick in a dangerous area.

Thats probably fair, certainly with regard to link-up play, although I would add/counter Quinn is also more likely to make an important tackle in defence, and less likely to insist on scooping a shite free-kick out of play ;)

But aye, for a place in the first XI, I can totally see the argument for including Woods. Its the case for adding him to a squad that already has 4 centre-mids that I dont really get.

I wasn't a fan of Woods. As anyone who stood near to me at games would agree with. McShane will, ultimately, become a better player than Woods but lacks experience (perhaps McIntyre wasn't overly keen on starting two centre-midfielders aged 22 - Irvine and McShane). We* can assume, based on McIntyre's work so far, that he likes one runner in the centre of midfield (Irvine, and maybe Murdoch) so Woods offers cover/replaces the "passer" in McShane. Quinn can do both but wouldn't be my first choice for either position.

Maybe his signing is, what I like to call, "Jimmy Scott Syndrome" (after the footballer, Martin "Jimmy" Scott, who was signed on-loan from Hibs in our first season in the SPL for no obvious footballing reason) and he's got a "Banter" rating of 18.

*I, yoda, can assume

Edited by yoda

Maybe his signing is, what I like to call, "Jimmy Scott Syndrome" (after the footballer, Martin "Jimmy" Scott, who was signed on-loan from Hibs in our first season in the SPL for no obvious footballing reason) and he's got a "Banter" rating of 18.

Maybe... I did hear that Woods is a bit of poser and thinks a bit much of himself. Hopefully you're right though and he'll be entertaining the others with wild tales of Shrewsbury, his dug, and that time he set up Kilmarnock with a goal just for the craic.

Woods was a very good player for us. Really clever midfielder. Possibly the fastest and fittest player last year. The odd error doesn't make him a bad player. Easily better than Rocco imo.

I am delighted he is back

Possibly the fastest and fittest player last year? Ahead of Irvine, Curran, Fraser, even Gardyne etc. That cant be right... :unsure2: Surprised by that one. That feedback from training, or just based on watching games?

Would agree he's a clever midfielder though, at times he has a great touch and technique.

Edited by dingdong1929

Possibly the fastest and fittest player last year? Ahead of Irvine, Curran, Fraser, even Gardyne etc. That cant be right... :unsure2: Surprised by that one. That feedback from training, or just based on watching games?

Would agree he's a clever midfielder though, at times he has a great touch and technique.

He is very quick. Long stride can catch you out

County and Caley are almost certainly after the same players, and we're also competing with similar size clubs down south. Giving an extra year is the only way we'll get them to come up, even if we aren't paying the same sort of wages. Andrew Davies is a case in point; there's no way County are paying him anything close to what he was on at Bradford, and I'm sure other Premiership teams were offered him, but the extra year on the contract clinches the deal.

Davies is a strange one. Has had a great start (apart from the penalty) and you would think he would have been on a better wage at Bradford. He would have been offered two years in England, so that point isn't really valid. Perhaps he just wanted the serene Highland life.

Woods was a very good player for us. Really clever midfielder. Possibly the fastest and fittest player last year. The odd error doesn't make him a bad player. Easily better than Rocco imo.

I am delighted he is back

post-31463-Clint-Eastwood-crying-gif-cri