The General Ross County Chat Thread

Ross County have signed 22 year old former Excelsior winger Darren Maatsen. Manager Derek Adams said " I am delighted to have signed Darren. He is a quick and skilful player who will suit our style of play next season."

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but is he suggesting a different tact for the coming season there? I suppose we built ourselves around being solid at the back last year, is he aiming to be much more dangerous going forward this time?

Edited by Spain

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but is he suggesting a different tact for the coming season there? I suppose we built ourselves around being solid at the back last year, is he aiming to be much more dangerous going forward this time?

You know I can't resist a question like that!

It will most certainly be evolution rather than evolution.

In my opinion, these are some of the best things about Derek Adams's Ross County over the years, which can be found in most of his teams:

• Pressing the opposition in midfield
  • Having at least one midfielder to switch the play to the flanks
  • Playing a deep midfielder to link defence to midfield
  • Encouraging the full-backs to get forward
  • Most recently, breaking play with surprise interceptions and breaking fast.

We should still see all of those things going into next season (the last point particularly), but the evolution will be in playing wide forwards who can successfully take the game to the defence, rather than midfielders who can function out wide. The one thing that stands out in the Maatsen Youtube vid is how often he nicks the ball off the full-back and sprints beyond him with the ball - this is something that County were very effective with in the second half of last season. With a pretty useful right foot on him, Sproule might have to fight for his place in the team.

I don't know if the shape will change much, although I guess Meulens might be best suited playing off a number 9.

As it stands, I see the first team like this:

Brown

Kovacevic Boyd Munro Micic

Brittain*

Quinn Kettlewell

Maatsen Glen de Leeuw

*Assuming Brittain stays. That's the perfect role for him. I'm sure it's known that I had reservations about Lawson and Brittain playing in the middle together, but Brittain was pretty much fantastic when he played there exclusively, especially in his defensive duties. He's a functional player though, not creative. Although he can pass the ball 10 yards as well as the next player, he plays around a shape and doesn't penetrate it. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

If I were the manager from Monday, I think the positions in bold would be my priority targets.

1. A 190cm+ ball-playing centre-back might be a pipe-dream, but it would improve the defence immeasurably.
  2. Ketts and Quinn together would probably be the highest endurance midfield duo around, but without Vigurs's grace then a lot of creativity will be lost. I think Stuart and Rocco will be competing for the same position in a sense - I think the midfield needs balanced by a play-maker.
  3. A physically imposing centre-forward who can distract the centre-backs and can help the ball stick up front when necessary, like a Tadé clone.

I think the romantic in me wants to see a return to the Second Division glory days of playing four forwards in a 4-2-3-1, like what Motherwell and at times ICT have done recently. Maybe that's what Derek is planning after all?

Edited by bunglebonce

I had to give you something to do to occupy your Friday night ;)

An interesting discussion I had today, but apparently Micic is meant to be a CB, not a LB. He is "comfortable" there though.

I haven't looked that much into Meulens, but do you think he'd fit into the playmaker role?

Not to get your hopes up, but I have a gut feeling the Hainault and Oiko deals aren't completely dead yet, and Adams is still playing the long game and the media. Certainly Hainault is that 190cm+ ball-playing CB you're so desperate for. This isn't via my normal "sources", but just a feeling I've got from the wording that's been used. The Micic as CB thing is the only thing that came from my uber-reliable source recently. We got interrupted just as my Spanish inquisition was starting. I'll try again in a couple of days.

Derek certainly has been good at evolving the team to suit the requirements at the time. Despite everyone else's apprehension, I'm quite hopeful and excited for next season.

I think today's signing will see Sproule as an impact player. Last season we had Cooper playing on the right more than was ideal. Matsen's certainly a right sided midfielder at not a forward judging by everything I've seen online of him. We're a striker, a left back and a utility defender away from a decent squad, assuming Brittain is unable to move to St Johnstone.

Actually, Adams m.o for midfielders is to sign them as bit part players initially, before giving them a regular and influential role - his coaching is all about repetition and knowing roles. So, I suspect the midfield Statto has outlined is pretty close to the money, with Sproule on the right 75% of the time.

Edited by Savage Henry

I think today's signing will see Sproule as an impact player. Last season we had Cooper playing on the right more than was ideal. Matsen's certainly a right sided midfielder at not a forward judging by everything I've seen online of him. We're a striker, a left back and a utility defender away from a decent squad, assuming Brittain is unable to move to St Johnstone.

Actually, Adams m.o for midfielders is to sign them as bit part players initially, before giving them a regular and influential role - his coaching is all about repetition and knowing roles. So, I suspect the midfield Statto has outlined is pretty close to the money, with Sproule on the right 75% of the time.

Agreed with Adams bleeding players in technique. Provided the Brittain saga gets sorted, I too could certainly see Brittain, Quinn & Kettlewell being the central combination for the first few games, before working in Meulens or whoever else he would bring in.

Although, with Partick & St. Mirren early on we may well see Adams go for it a little earlier than normal.

Edited by Spain

You know when a player signs for County, because he suddenly pops up on your Facebook as having "mutual friends".... TJE, S4L and another.... :rolleyes:

To be fair, De Leeuw added me...

Edited by staggy4life

An interesting discussion I had today, but apparently Micic is meant to be a CB, not a LB. He is "comfortable" there though.

That was the impression that was given when he first joined, but from the outside looking in he doesn't seem to have been in contention for the centre-back position to date. He might yet turn out to be Munro's heir.

I haven't looked that much into Meulens, but do you think he'd fit into the playmaker role?

Wikipedia has him classified as a forward but describes him as a midfielder. The ever unreliable transfermarkt.co.uk has him as a striker and right-winger.

The vid I linked to earlier in the clip shows him playing in a training match. He wears 9 but he drops deep to play one-twos. He doesn't look big nor quick enough to play up front on his own.

Not to get your hopes up, but I have a gut feeling the Hainault and Oiko deals aren't completely dead yet, and Adams is still playing the long game and the media. Certainly Hainault is that 190cm+ ball-playing CB you're so desperate for. This isn't via my normal "sources", but just a feeling I've got from the wording that's been used. The Micic as CB thing is the only thing that came from my uber-reliable source recently. We got interrupted just as my Spanish inquisition was starting. I'll try again in a couple of days.

I'll forget I read that. I don't want my delicate heart broken twice.

You know when a player signs for County, because he suddenly pops up on your Facebook as having "mutual friends".... TJE, S4L and another.... :rolleyes:

The Lion added me too, after I liked a post on his page!

which was an added bonus as he frequently posts pictures of his 'Lioness' :wub:

The Lion added me too, after I liked a post on his page!

which was an added bonus as he frequently posts pictures of his 'Lioness' :wub:

What?! I'm going to get "liking"!

I hope we'll be busier in the market next week, what with having only 4 defenders, 2 strikers and a lack of centre midfielders and our first game is only in little over 10 days!

I'm hoping/sure the management have players lines up though..

All quiet so far, ho hum.

When does the training start, the end of this week or sometime next? I read in the P&J that ICT start theirs on Thursday. I expect that whoever is likely to sign will be among the squad, until they are announced after 1/7/13.