The General Ross County Chat Thread

Can anyone tell me how our ex players McMenamin and Quinn are getting on for you ?

Quinn has been a good signing for County. I would rate him just behind Munro in terms of the quality of the summer signings. He's a good passer of the ball and when he has dropped deep he has done a decent job at getting stuck in. I like him as a player.

McMenamin has been a strange one. He hasn't scored a league goal yet which is very disappointing, but he's doing all the dirty work in the final third. I think him and Morrow could form a good partnership, although I haven't seen either of them play together competitively.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the squad, the only position County don't have adequate cover for is right-back (and goalkeeper). Maybe this can be sorted in January but it's a certainly great to have decent depth in the squad, but also to have decent/good First Division players as cover.

I have read in a couple of places that we do not have any cover at RB if Gary Miller isnt fit. Why is Scott Morrison not considered adequete cover?

I have read in a couple of places that we do not have any cover at RB if Gary Miller isnt fit. Why is Scott Morrison not considered adequete cover?

Because his right foot isnt terribly good.

Boyd is tidy at RB imo, but is maybe too valuable in the middle now? I'm not a fan of Flynn at RB, but wouldnt have many worries with him alongside Munro, with Boyd at RB. That sounds a pretty solid option to me.

Lawson and Kettlewell seem to have been shunted in there a few times I think, but neither impressed me. Maybe Brittain could do a job back there? Replacing him in right mid with Craig would maybe leave us pretty exposed down that flank. But could try someone else at RM (whoever out of Lawson or Quinn wasnt playing?) to help Brittain. There's a few options and I'm not too worried about it... :unsure:

Dont be mislead by the emoticon chappy, I'm genuinely not too worried. But I didnt want to put a smug looking emoticon thing, as there is obviously some apprehension, and I'm addicted to little smiley yellow faces (like all good Dennis Hopper wannabe's ;) )so had to stick something in there.

Edited by dingdong1929

I was having this conversation earlier today (and I think I may have posted it somewhere too), but I agree, Boyd is certainly our best option at RB should anything happen to Miller, and slot Flynn into the centre. All of the names you've mentioned dingdong were the ones I mentioned also. The only one I've thought of just this second is Duncan. Is he right footed? Being quite a defensively minded midfielder perhaps he would be RB material also?

I was having this conversation earlier today (and I think I may have posted it somewhere too), but I agree, Boyd is certainly our best option at RB should anything happen to Miller, and slot Flynn into the centre. All of the names you've mentioned dingdong were the ones I mentioned also. The only one I've thought of just this second is Duncan. Is he right footed? Being quite a defensively minded midfielder perhaps he would be RB material also?

Jeez, I keep forgetting about Duncan! Like a right sided Fitzpatrick. Good shout Spain, worth tentatively asking some Caley fans...? Probably have to put up with a lot of Sophia/Sandy Cromarty type wankage. So probably not worth it... rolleyes.gif

In fact, f**k THAT! I'm going in Spain! I'm going to ask questions of them and I expect answers! Diplomatic, tentative questions in the hope I get reasonable answers! BRING IT ON!!!!

ICHC_BringIt.jpg

Bring the pussy jokes too cool.gif

Edited by dingdong1929

I add my agreement to that. Lawson was merely okay at RB. Didn't like Kettlewell there. Brittain would likely do fine. The problem with all of them is that no-one has anything close to the pace of Miller. Who's fastest out of Boyd, Flynn, Lawson, Duncan & Kettlewell? I suspect it's Boydy or Flynn.

Got a couple of good responses already, this excellent response was from RiG :

"Russell actually came to us as a forward believe it or not. He had a cracking record at Stoneywood Juniors but when he came to us from Aberdeen he soon settled into his now well known holding midfield role. He has actually filled in at right back quite often. Usually after a Tokely sending off :lol: He has never really disgraced himself there. He doesn't excel of course and he doesn't have the pace to get up and down the line to support the attack but provided he was given adequate defensive support if faced with a pacey or tricky winger he would do a solid job. "

Couldn't get the multiquote to work across the forums... sounds good though! Between Boyd and Duncan (maybe also Brittain) I'm pretty confident with the cover :)

In fact, f**k THAT! I'm going in Spain!

A phrase I'm always afraid to hear.

I add my agreement to that. Lawson was merely okay at RB. Didn't like Kettlewell there. Brittain would likely do fine. The problem with all of them is that no-one has anything close to the pace of Miller. Who's fastest out of Boyd, Flynn, Lawson, Duncan & Kettlewell? I suspect it's Boydy or Flynn.

If I remember correctly, was it not Boyd's mazy and pacy runs at right back in a derby game that earned him the "Ginger Pele" nickname?

Got a couple of good responses already, this excellent response was from RiG :

"Russell actually came to us as a forward believe it or not. He had a cracking record at Stoneywood Juniors but when he came to us from Aberdeen he soon settled into his now well known holding midfield role. He has actually filled in at right back quite often. Usually after a Tokely sending off :lol: He has never really disgraced himself there. He doesn't excel of course and he doesn't have the pace to get up and down the line to support the attack but provided he was given adequate defensive support if faced with a pacey or tricky winger he would do a solid job. "

Couldn't get the multiquote to work across the forums... sounds good though! Between Boyd and Duncan (maybe also Brittain) I'm pretty confident with the cover :)

From that, he sounds comparable to Lawson and Kettlewell. So Boyd would probably still be the answer to any injury/suspension to Miller unless Adams has another trick up his sleeve somewhere. Some of the Caley posters can be reasonable, but if they weren't bottom of the SPL and we weren't top of the First, I suspect Sofia and Sandy would be slavering in here already.

If I remember correctly, was it not Boyd's mazy and pacy runs at right back in a derby game that earned him the "Ginger Pele" nickname?

You're half correct. It was a game away to Dunfermline, 3-3 draw I think. Boyd went on a great run down the right wing and crossed for Vigurs to score a peach. Me, county-mad and Dalrystag got the chant going I think.

You're half correct. It was a game away to Dunfermline, 3-3 draw I think. Boyd went on a great run down the right wing and crossed for Vigurs to score a peach. Me, county-mad and Dalrystag got the chant going I think.

That must have been about the time of the first away derby then? I'm pretty sure that's when I first heard the use of it. Chances are it was from you lot, saw a lot of DalryStag that season with the cup run and the like.

I'd imagine it'd be Flynn or Kettlewell. Duncan still looks overweight to me. Flynn's genuinely quite quick, and I'm pretty certain he played at right back a couple of games this season. Queens Park at home being one. Looked awful there, but I'd imagine he's first dibs.

Looked awful there

Yes, yes he did. So hopefully he doesn't have "first dibs". I'd much rather put him in the centre and shift Boyd to the right if the situation arose.

Edited by Spain

• 2 weeks later...

Duncan is probably better than Kettlewell. There, I've said what we were all thinking. Fitzpatrick can offer cover at left-back.

Oops.

Duncan, an upgrade on Kettlewell? About the same.

:angel

I think Duncan's ten times the player Kettlewell is. Kettlewell's going to be back to his benchwarming role from the first half of last season.

Oops.

:lol: I've never even heard of Kettlewell.

:P To be fair Duncan has hardly played but Kettlewell has been outstanding this season especially in the last month or so.

Question: What would the situation be if County were to be promoted this season? Still early days I know, but I'm curious. Would fans be allowed in the standing areas for SPL mathces or would seating have to be installed asap? Good luck to yous btw, hope you go up.