The General Ross County Chat Thread

dd: Yeah that was just lazy referencing.

SD: That's where I saw him, on the right side of a midfield diamond, pulling wide and putting some excellent crosses in. I know he's a very good passer of the ball, because he has always stood out since his time at Livi, but if Brittain can be converted into a right-sided midfielder then I don't see why Rocco can't.

If he wants a slot in the centre, he's got competition from Brittain, Lawson, Kettlewelll, Duncan, Fitzpatrick and Vigurs.

tumbleweed.jpg?w=360&h=351

This thread had fallen to the third page.

To keep County fans amused, I have a link to a season preview done on my site here.

That was quite an interesting read. Adam looks like he is setting his team up to play a narrow midfield diamond without a lot of width which must mean he sees the direct approach through the middle as likelier to produce goals in this division. Compare and contrast that with the approach of Alan Moore at Morton who makes no secret of his preference to get the ball on the wings to players who can beat a fullback and hit the byeline. I suppose that approach is not surprising considering Moore was a winger himself (and a pretty good one!).

Most teams in the league are fairly solid in central defence but on the other hand, McMenamim is one of the better strikers so maybe Adam's approach is sound. I think Morton's approach may well yield more goals but against a team like County, the could find themselves outnumbered in central midfield, especially in defensive situations. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out

It's gone quiet cause there's very little happening right now. Only 8 days to go until our first competitive game though. Can't wait, feels like it's been ages.

I had a wee look into the stats because of one of the threads in the cup forum, and I've noticed that from the start of the 08/09 season until now (including the two games already drawn this year) our cup draws are as follows:

22 Home Draws

7 Away Draws

4 Neutral Venues (Finals & Semi's)

With two of the away draws only being Caley & Elgin.

If you take into account we took both Dundee Utd & Hibs to replays back to Victoria Park (and once had to go to a replay in Dumbarton) it becomes:

24 Home ties

8 Away ties (1x Caley, 1x Elgin)

4 Neutral Ties.

So if you ignore the neutral games, we've only had to leave the Highlands/Moray area for 6 out of 32 cup games.

Damn, that's some good luck!

So staggies, which of our new players are you most looking forward to seeing?

I personally think Mcmenamin will be a very good acquisition for the team.

Michael Fraser and Russell Duncan.

The former so I can see for myself if he is a good signing or not, and the latter because I think he will be an outstanding player for us this season.

Michael Fraser and Russell Duncan.

The former so I can see for myself if he is a good signing or not, and the latter because I think he will be an outstanding player for us this season.

I have a fear Duncan's just going to be Stuart "Steve" Kettlewell with a little more level-headedness.

I think Grant Munro will be an excellent signing. I'm still really surprised ICT let him go.

But the most important player may well be McMenemin. If he stays fit (and Barrowman missed half of last season) and can score semi-regularly, we'll have a good season. If not, we're going to draw half our games.