The General Ross County Chat Thread

We have Alex Cooper on trial, any COunty fans have opinions on him one way or the other?

Liverpool paid us lots of spondoolicks for him, hundred grand I think. He was exceptionally highly rated inside the club, but as was said before, chocolate joints. He's Neale's son, incidentally.

I thought County's Number 5 played a blinder against Clach last night, and got himself on the scoresheet with a nicely taken goal.

His name escapes me now, but there was something familiar about him - felt I'd seen him before somewhere.

County should do well this season with signings like him and that Russel Duncan guy looked very useful too.

I thought County's Number 5 played a blinder against Clach last night, and got himself on the scoresheet with a nicely taken goal.

His name escapes me now, but there was something familiar about him - felt I'd seen him before somewhere.

County should do well this season with signings like him and that Russel Duncan guy looked very useful too.

I agree that he looked like a very promising young player. Played a bit of a free role in the second half too, something of a playmaker it would seem.

Thought Clach were very well organised last night and already look fitter and more competitive than last season. They had nothing at all up front to bother Ross County and consequently the ball was always coming back at them but that will change once they get Gordy Morrison back in the team. Unfortunate he wasn't playing last night as he would have at least given the County backline some defending to do. I thought McMenamin looked miles off the pace for County and that they could do with more in the wide areas (and more pace up front too) but still very early days in fairness. The centre of the County midfield looked pretty strong.

Was number 4 Flynn? I know it's hard to really judge him when Clach didn't threaten but he was composed with the ball at his feet, strong in the air, kept talking and dealt easily with the little threat Clach posed. Hadn't seen him before and he looked like a guy with all the requirements to be a very good defender.

Edited by Waspie

Munro was my Motm last night. I thought he was different class, and proved yet again he can also provide a goal scoring threat.

Given the problems ICT are experiencing in recruiting players just now, I just hope Terry Butcher's decision to free him doesn't come back and bite his arse.

I've a funny feeling that it might.

Munro was my Motm last night. I thought he was different class, and proved yet again he can also provide a goal scoring threat.

Given the problems ICT are experiencing in recruiting players just now, I just hope Terry Butcher's decision to free him doesn't come back and bite his arse.

I've a funny feeling that it might.

We'll let you have Gary Wood if that helps? :ph34r:

McMenamin looked alright, certainly a lot better than Sam Morrow.

We've got to give the guy a chance. It wouldn't be the first case of a player being slaughtered by opponents only to come good for us. Boyd being the most obvious recent example.

We've got to give the guy a chance. It wouldn't be the first case of a player being slaughtered by opponents only to come good for us. Boyd being the most obvious recent example.

Boyd wasn't terrible at all, nor was he great, but he was a far better player than Morrow.

Edited by Lambies_Apprentice

Boyd wasn't terrible at all, nor was he great, but he was a far better player than Morrow.

We got a fair bit of stick for that deal, as I recall. Either way, Boyd is a far better player now than the one we were told we were getting. Morrow may end up dire, but we've got to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure Partick fans are the same, sometimes we turn against a guy and he doesn't stand a chance. John Fraser being one example of that. David Winters another.

Boyd was a very nervous player when he was here, I wasn't sorry to see him go, and hes matured since.

To be fair I hated the Grehan signing for us and his kinda growing on, but as far as I've seen some people won't really give him a chance.

Edited by Lambies_Apprentice

There are some valid points on here.

Flynn's an excellent player, probably better than Boyd. His long diagonal passes are improving all the time, but that's the icing on the cake. I can see Adams showing loyalty to Boyd, but both are very good defenders and it's good to have competition in defence.

I wasn't sure if Munro would be that much better than we have, but he was class last night.

McMenamin doesn't look sharp yet, but he still showed how good his technique can be compared to what we've had before. I'm definitely encouraged by last night's showing.

Waspie mentioned the lack of pace up top and substance on the wings. That's a bit of a perennial problem. I don't know what is going to happen about that (probably nothing at this stage). Rocco Quinn's crossing from the right was promising, but he was playing on the right of a midfield diamond and doesn't have the other attributes to shine wide-right in a 4-2-3-1, for example. Corcoran did look nippy for the first time in a while . Scott Morrison returning to left-back will help matters; Fitzpatrick isn't an attacking full-back.

I'm looking forward to the season, but there are going to be some squad balancing issues along the way.

Edited by bunglebonce

Oh I'll give him a chance. He's already a vast improvement on Steven Milne because he can control a football.

tumbleweed.jpg?w=360&h=351

This thread had fallen to the third page.

To keep County fans amused, I have a link to a season preview done on my site here.

Hey BB, top blog as usual, but Sam Morrow came from Tranmere not Hibs. Apologies if its already changed, but even if i'm wrong at least its one more post to keep this thread on the front page ;)

Edited by dingdong1929

To keep County fans amused, I have a link to a season preview done on my site here.

It's an interesting read. I am however shocked by references to Rocco Quinn as "right sided" and "an excellent crosser of the ball". Rocco's an excellent passer of the ball, I'm a big fan and I think we really missed him when he wasn't playing (after Stevie Tosh was injured anyway), but I can't recall seeing him even try to cross a ball in two years here! He played through the middle, never ever played a wide role. He sometimes played the deep midfielder role, pulling strings and picking passes. He sometimes was even pushed up as a link between midfield and a solo striker when we played with one up top. He could do both very well, but I never saw him as a wide player and don't particularly recall him playing wide for Accies or St Johnstone either. I'll be surprised if County use him that way. Is that where he's played pre-season?