The General Ross County Chat Thread

Del's obviously seen something. Barrowman's record was horrendous before he came to us. He'd never scored more than one goal for any one team, yet here he is on his way from us to the SPL for a second time. The teams certainly going to look a bit different next year though.

Del's obviously seen something. Barrowman's record was horrendous before he came to us. He'd never scored more than one goal for any one team, yet here he is on his way from us to the SPL for a second time. The teams certainly going to look a bit different next year though.

Er, Barrowman scored a shiteload in a pub league, scored what, 5 goals last year, and I don't recall him being a goal machine the previous season either. Theres not much in the way of statistics there pointing that he was up to a great deal in this league. Don't let that stop you from trying to paper over the cracks of an awful signing though.

Edited by Lambies_Apprentice

A good point that. We seem to have become a team over the last few years who attract players who have taken knocks or have suffered setbacks in their careers who then thrive under us, time will tell..

Any word on Swankie?

Edited by tintax

Er, Barrowman scored a shiteload in a pub league, scored what, 5 goals last year, and I don't recall him being a goal machine the previous season either. Theres not much in the way of statistics there pointing that he was up to a great deal in this league. Don't let that stop you from trying to paper over the cracks of an awful signing though.

Helped us on our way to a Cup Final too, and a few Challenge Cups. Nice to get to finals.

Think I heard something about Barrowman being away to the SPL now, isn't he? Didn't score many last year but was still far & away our best forward in an abysmal year, he'd have had a chance to score a couple more if the rest of the team weren't fucking horrendous at times.

Don't expect this new guy to set the world on fire, but also don't imagine him to be any worse than Craig, Wood or Di Giacomo.

he'd have had a chance to score a couple more if the rest of the team weren't fucking horrendous at times.

^^^ This.

Dunfermline saw enough from him to think he can do them a job in the SPL. Same as when he moved to the dump. He was however, played there in the wrong system, for a team that were dreadful at the time. Some players suit some systems and a certain ethos more than others. Del seems to be able to get the best out of some of these guys. (I say some, because Corcoran and a few others would destroy my argument otherwise). Remember, Gardyne was another one who was completely written off by Morton fans, and we were getting semi decent offers for him last summer, and I'm being led to believe we've had a couple this summer too. I'm not concerned about the strikers we've signed. Roy has opened up the cheque book, and Del is bringing in whoever he can to make a push for the top. There's always January...

Colin McMenamin just tweeted:

"More good news for county fans. Sure to be official soon"

I'll guess Rocco Quinn has signed.

Seems a likely bet. Quinn will do well at County. He's not going to run up and down the park like a headless chicken so some see him as lazy but he is a very good passer of the ball and a decent playmaker. He could certainly do the Gardyne role in between striker and midfield. We sometimes used him in that position and he did it well. Alternately he could be an out and out central midfielder and pull strings from deeper. He is NOT in a million years going to fulfil a wide role though.

Seems a likely bet. Quinn will do well at County. He's not going to run up and down the park like a headless chicken so some see him as lazy but he is a very good passer of the ball and a decent playmaker. He could certainly do the Gardyne role in between striker and midfield. We sometimes used him in that position and he did it well. Alternately he could be an out and out central midfielder and pull strings from deeper. He is NOT in a million years going to fulfil a wide role though.

Going by that he seems like a cross between Lawson and Gardyne. Still concerned at our ridiculously large squad and not many wide players.

I've not seen Byrne before but I can imagine he'll be better than an upfront Di Giacomo.

Perhaps Di Giacomo has gone backwards drastically since I last saw him play a couple of years back but I would have said he is a much better player than Byrne. We had Byrne on loan at the end of last season and he missed a sh*tload of chances, hitting the keeper or putting the ball wide every time he was on through on goal. Was similarly hopeless in a previous loan spell at Stirling although his record at East Fife was good. Pretty surprised he got a deal with a First Divison club. Also surprised no First Division club has given a chance to Mikey McGowan who was with us last season, an excellent wide player.

Perhaps Di Giacomo has gone backwards drastically since I last saw him play a couple of years back.

He has. Had a decent 6 month start to his County career a couple years ago up front but the next 18months he was very poor. Far better wide right.

Perhaps Di Giacomo has gone backwards drastically since I last saw him play a couple of years back but I would have said he is a much better player than Byrne. We had Byrne on loan at the end of last season and he missed a sh*tload of chances, hitting the keeper or putting the ball wide every time he was on through on goal.

Di Giacomo would be through on goal and run to the corner flag. Therefore Byrne is certainly better than Di Giacomo in that aspect.

So rumour is we have signed Quinn. Good signing imo, he is a good attacking midfielder and fills the gardyne role.

We need someone who naturally plays out wide.. swankie would of been good. Any word on that??