The General Ross County Chat Thread

2 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

I think Randall's best position for us is on the right side of a three so there is absolutely scope to play them both at the same time. 

Ideally on Saturday we line up like this:

image.png.2064f102d355958b0a2c06ec4b2eba41.png

Already our big name winter signing is looking like a bit part player at best.    I’ve always thought  crap teams should play 4-4-2,  and if we aren’t going to play Sims we could go 4-3-1-2, thus eliminating Randall completely.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Already our big name winter signing is looking like a bit part player at best.    I’ve always thought  crap teams should play 4-4-2,  and if we aren’t going to play Sims we could go 4-3-1-2, thus eliminating Randall completely.

I think with Murray it's unfair to assess how he'll be after a few weeks at the club. He'll get plenty game time but as of right now I think you'll be hard pressed to find any County fan that would have him over White or Brophy at present. 4-4-2 would absolutely kill us in the middle of the park and makes Dhanda (our best player imo) ineffective. 4-3-1-2 is certainly an option but I think Randall kind of has to play in that system otherwise you're playing a winger or a centre half there. Ultimately 3-5-2 is our best set up but the biggest concern I have with it is the centre halves going long unopposed, I have no problem with long passes if they are exactly that, passes. However the recurring theme seems to be shelling it into the channel or central and hoping White can knock it down so the likes of Dhanda, Brophy, Murray etc can do anything with it. 

Our squad isn't terrible and I back us to show a bit of quality on Saturday.

13 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

I think with Murray it's unfair to assess how he'll be after a few weeks at the club. He'll get plenty game time but as of right now I think you'll be hard pressed to find any County fan that would have him over White or Brophy at present. 4-4-2 would absolutely kill us in the middle of the park and makes Dhanda (our best player imo) ineffective. 4-3-1-2 is certainly an option but I think Randall kind of has to play in that system otherwise you're playing a winger or a centre half there. Ultimately 3-5-2 is our best set up but the biggest concern I have with it is the centre halves going long unopposed, I have no problem with long passes if they are exactly that, passes. However the recurring theme seems to be shelling it into the channel or central and hoping White can knock it down so the likes of Dhanda, Brophy, Murray etc can do anything with it. 

Our squad isn't terrible and I back us to show a bit of quality on Saturday.

That’s all fair.  I don’t think the squad is terrible.  I just think it’s strangely aimless.  

2 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

Ultimately 3-5-2 is our best set up but the biggest concern I have with it is the centre halves going long unopposed, I have no problem with long passes if they are exactly that, passes. However the recurring theme seems to be shelling it into the channel or central and hoping White can knock it down so the likes of Dhanda, Brophy, Murray etc can do anything with it. 

I agree in as much as 3-5-2 gets most of the best players in their best positions. However there are two big issues with it from an attacking point of view, one of which you identified:

1) The long balls from defence. Iacovitti loves a ball into the channel for people to chase. Harmon and Randall too. It’s a deliberate tactic too, whether pressed or not. Why play a playmaker when the ball by-passes him for percentage football. In this age you need one, arguably two of the centre-backs to be able to step out with the ball. County don’t do that.

2) You can’t win enough matches to survive when playing with two strikers who are supplied by wing-backs who don’t cross. Harmon averages 0.9 key passes per match (ie nearly one pass that results in a shot). Randall is 0.2. Harmon has been quite productive but hasn’t been so consistently good recently. You know what you’re going to get with Randall ie nothing going forward. So much depends on Dhanda and/or Loturi to drift into the outside right channel to put crosses in. The long ball tactics don’t help get them into good positions.

There needs to be a shift in the team’s passing patterns, or they’re goosed I reckon. Pray for one of Brophy’s snapshots going in.

Edited by bunglebonce

13 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

I agree in as much as 3-5-2 gets most of the best players in their best positions. However there are two big issues with it from an attacking point of view, one of which you identified:

1) The long balls from defence. Iacovitti loves a ball into the channel for people to chase. Harmon and Randall too. It’s a deliberate tactic too, whether pressed or not. Why play a playmaker when the ball by-passes him for percentage football. In this age you need one, arguably two of the centre-backs to be able to step out with the ball. County don’t do that.

2) You can’t win enough matches to survive when playing with two strikers who are supplied by wing-backs who don’t cross. Harmon averages 0.9 key passes per match (ie nearly one pass that results in a shot). Randall is 0.2. Harmon has been quite productive but hasn’t been so consistently good recently. You know what you’re going to get with Randall ie nothing going forward. So much depends on Dhanda and/or Loturi to drift into the outside right channel to put crosses in. The long ball tactics don’t help get them into good positions.

There needs to be a shift in the team’s passing patterns, or they’re goosed I reckon. Pray for one of Brophy’s snapshots going in.

I had never considered playing Randall at RCB, but with rank rotten stats like that from a genuine full back it's maybe not the worst idea. He's been so frustrating this season, getting into decent enough positions down the right wing only to pass the ball backwards and ultimately see it shelled forward into no man's land by one of the CBs.

Its interesting you think its a deliberate tactic.  I always assumed that its because a lack of confidence had spread through the defence for whatever reason, perhaps fearful of a calamity the like of which Baldwin has been responsible for this season.  Now that we seem to be playing 2 up top, I see no reason why White's strike partner, whoever it may be, should not drop deep and create another option for a midfield pass.  Liam Boyce was the expert proponent of this.  However, as you mentioned that does still rely on someone carrying the ball and making the pass safely.

I absolutely agree we're not making enough of wide spaces. I think Harmon is a good up and down wingback but his productivity as you say is lacking. 

I think G. Edwards totally shifted the dynamic last weekend where we had someone directly looking to get himself or the ball into the box when in wide spaces so I'd like to see him come in. 

I've been hypercritical of our central midfield all season but over the last few months it's sort of dawned on me that a key issue they face is that they're watching the ball fly over their heads the majority of the time. 

We've seen games this year where we've done well and tried to play, Hibs away being one that comes to mind. 

41 minutes ago, central staggie said:

I had never considered playing Randall at RCB

Believe it or not he has played there a good amount this season already. When we play Owura at RWB, Randall has often been the RCB.

12 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

Believe it or not he has played there a good amount this season already. When we play Owura at RWB, Randall has often been the RCB.

I've genuinely watched just about every game this season, too.

For my 2 cent, he needs dropped or moved from RWB. Would be happy enough to see him start in the back 3 tomorrow if it meant Gwion Edwards played in front of him.

What a result , faultless yesterday and it could’ve been even more goals the var ruled out one was literally by a hair! , brophy has fair hit the ground running for us and boy did we need it, 2 goals and 2 assists yesterday for him. United are about as bad a side as I’ve seen in dingwall in a long time tho, thought Gwion Edwards had a very good first start and was unlucky not to score.

as discussing above I don’t think that was a back 5 yesterday at all but more a 4-3-3 with brophy and Edwards as wide attackers

another massive game next week but I feel a lot better about our general performances now

An absolutely absurd result, probably about as important a win as County will get all season. Fair play to everyone. Even the manager I clearly don't like very much.

(That said, Dundee United fans must be absolutely raging at how bad they were)

2 minutes ago, forkboy said:

An absolutely absurd result, probably about as important a win as County will get all season. Fair play to everyone. Even the manager I clearly don't like very much.

(That said, Dundee United fans must be absolutely raging at how bad they were)

Yup.  3-0 vs Kilmarnock at home, 4-0 vs Dundee United… almost enough to give you hope. 

Eamon Brophy was some signing. Whoever made that happen should get a bonus. And hopefully have already started looking for someone to replace him in the summer in the likely event that he doesn't sign permanently.

Just now, forkboy said:

Eamon Brophy was some signing. Whoever made that happen should get a bonus. And hopefully have already started looking for someone to replace him in the summer in the likely event that he doesn't sign permanently.

I’m 90% sure that’s Murray.  Brophy could end up saving our season.  He’s already making a case for being in the top two for player of the season (it’ll be Dhanda).

10 hours ago, McG said:

That’s good you are keeping Brophy fit for us lads, he will be like a new player when he comes back fit.

I heard that the Brophy deal was loan to buy, and cheap too.  

All it cost is was Tony Watt from Utd to you guys

Edited by Lowrie83
Spelling Mistakes

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I’m 90% sure that’s Murray.  Brophy could end up saving our season.  He’s already making a case for being in the top two for player of the season (it’ll be Dhanda).

Murray not signed as Brophy replacement as he'd already agreed terms for next season earlier in window. Malky just wanted deal through now if possible (hence why only sorted out on deadline day prior to Hibs game)

11 hours ago, Lowrie83 said:

Murray not signed as Brophy replacement as he'd already agreed terms for next season earlier in window. Malky just wanted deal through now if possible (hence why only sorted out on deadline day prior to Hibs game)

Yes, we all know this.  But there’s a zero percent chance Brophy comes back to County next season, so by default his replacement is Murray, particularly if they get relegated. 

As has already been said, in the Championship that’s a good signing.  If they stay up, it’s yet another five goal a season striker.  

That said, Hiwula, both of the Samuelseses and the Wigan lad are all likely to leave, so there’s plenty of room to sign someone else.  It won’t be Brophy, though. 

First and foremost, to have any chance of keeping Brophy beyond the end of the season we need to stay up. Secondly, Brophy needs to feel like he is getting back to his best and enjoying playing for the club, which hopefully he is. Lastly, we'd need the finances to entice him to stay. Even if we met all 3, there could still be a more appealing offer on the table.

I'm taking it on face value at the moment, and will enjoy the next few months that he's at the club. What happens after - we'll see, but I'd like to think that if he continues on the form he's in now then we'd at least ask the question.