The General Ross County Chat Thread

On 23/11/2022 at 08:50, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

A great player for us in (arguably) our best ever team. Although as a DU fan not sure why it would resonate with you.

A few posters on this thread still dream about his performances and good looks.

Arguably our best ever yes, but the team in the first promoted season for me. Long unbeaten run after Sproule and Ikonomou arrived. Beat Celtic from 2 down. Could just have done with a Liam Boyce. 

Does anyone think that we'll add to the squad in January?

The group was very threadbare going into the break so hopefully one or two will be back. I'd expect either/both Samuels to be shown the door in the summer which may allow another striker to come in but that's a tough signing for January.

I think Randall is out for a good while yet but I forget about the rest, Purrington & Callachan should be back, hopefully 🤞

3 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Think I read somewhere saying that Randall will be back for the resumption.

2 hours ago, central staggie said:

I also seem to recall seeing this somewhere. He's definitely out in Spain with the squad the now.

That'll mean less pressure on getting Purrington back with Randall comfortable as left or right back.

Is White, Hiwula & Akio enough for the remainder of the season?

24 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

Randall will be 2nd choice to Johnson , could do with offloading one or both samuel’s (I don’t mind dom) and bringing in a striker , possibly a centre half of being picky

1st choice, 2nd choice, I'm not fussed tbh. Competition and cover for positions is healthy for the starting XI.

Take that. Been a while since we’ve got a draw and not gone “for f**k sake” at my TV and as the balls slowly counted down with Caley still in it I thought it was bound to happen.

Come to think about it, when was the last time we actually got a draw in the 4th Round of the Scottish that we’ve been favourites for other than the Caley game? Stenny at home? Must’ve been about 10 year ago now.

10 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Come to think about it, when was the last time we actually got a draw in the 4th Round of the Scottish that we’ve been favourites for other than the Caley game? Stenny at home? Must’ve been about 10 year ago now.

15/16 Dunfermline (League One side) away, when Joe Cardle and El Bakhtaoui should have buried County but it finished 2-2. It was the first match shown on Sportscene that night and got about 10 mins of footage. The replay in Dingwall was dull but De Vita scored a sweet volley for the winner.

16/17 beating Dundee United (Championship side) 6-2 at home in the fog.

15/16 Dunfermline (League One side) away, when Joe Cardle and El Bakhtaoui should have buried County but it finished 2-2. It was the first match shown on Sportscene that night and got about 10 mins of footage. The replay in Dingwall was dull but De Vita scored a sweet volley for the winner.
16/17 beating Dundee United (Championship side) 6-2 at home in the fog.

15/16 - Don’t get me wrong, any Premiership side going away to a League One should be beating them fairly comfortably. However, that Dunfermline team won the league by a mile and then finished in the playoffs in the Championship the year after if I’m not mistaken. So even though they were a League One team by name, they probably weren’t a League One team by nature.

16/17 - County playing United in the cup generally means County going out of the cup. So whilst we may have been favourites for the tie, I definitely mind squirming when that tie was drawn.

I went to the u20s match on the Tuesday before the Valentine's Day win vs Motherwell that turned around that 15/16 season. De Vita and Gardyne played. The first team squad was filling out a lot at that point and the rule of thumb was the first-teamers in the Tuesday u20s match wouldn't feature on Saturday. 

Gardyne had been out for six weeks with a cracked rib so he needed to get some minutes in him. De Vita signed a fortnight earlier and hadn't played much football in the recent past.

In the u20s match County's u20s played a 4-1-3-2 with Gardyne wide right and De Vita behind the strikers. Gardyne didn't do much but had a great game when he started against Motherwell and enjoyed arguably the best 18 months of his career from that. De Vita looked like a world-beater in the u20s and had an amazing beginning at the club in the first team, coming off the bench to score the winner against Motherwell. De Vita's form petered out by the end of the season and never really recaptured it again. I loved watching him play though.

De Vita like Sproule for about six months for us was absolutely unreal.

At least his career at County didn't end with a wild tackle at Forres.