The General Ross County Chat Thread

35 minutes ago, grantmacp said:

The Killie fans did warn us.

with injuries mounting up Harmon & Watson added to the list tonight we are very short at the back 24 hours left in the window I fully expect no more signings.

It was an utterly bewildering signing, we all remember how pish he looked at Killie. Be as well having some 15 year old who starts for Dingwall Academy on the bench

It looked like we'd solved some of the issues with our defence with Iacovitti and Baldwin forming a decent partnership then we sign Eastwood. Christ.

7 minutes ago, Comrie said:

It looked like we'd solved some of the issues with our defence with Iacovitti and Baldwin forming a decent partnership then we sign Eastwood. Christ.

I was impressed with the one where he came for the cross, then somehow jacknife powerbombed himself onto his neck

6 hours ago, Comrie said:

Genuine question, what did he do wrong? 

I thought he made an error with the 3rd goal last night. By not palming his save, wide of the goal. Must admit I've not seen the 4th goal but was there something horrendous that I missed?

3 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Genuine question, what did he do wrong? 

I thought he made an error with the 3rd goal last night. By not palming his save, wide of the goal. Must admit I've not seen the 4th goal but was there something horrendous that I missed?

1st goal he wasn't 100% at fault with but he just kind of crumpled.

2nd goal he just gives up on (no sure he's getting it)

3rd goal is rotten keeping

4th he is blamless, one of our defenders just gets blasted by Ralston

He also managed to powerbomb himself coming for a corner, which I was reminded of earlier.

8 minutes ago, central staggie said:

Aye, or the fucktard Rangers fans on Twitter who watched about 6 minutes of County highlights over the course of the season and declared he was our best player. Soo poor.

He’s rubbish.  That Rangers bloke who writes crap for the Athletic should get an agent’s fee. 

1st goal he wasn't 100% at fault with but he just kind of crumpled.
2nd goal he just gives up on (no sure he's getting it)
3rd goal is rotten keeping
4th he is blamless, one of our defenders just gets blasted by Ralston
He also managed to powerbomb himself coming for a corner, which I was reminded of earlier.

Nah sorry Comrie I think you’re being extremely harsh here.

1st goal is 100% on the marking. To lose a goal to Celtic from a quick corner is inexcusable when it’s something they do literally every corner they take. It also takes a slight nick off Harmon on the way through so I’d give him no chance with that goal.

2nd goal, sometimes you just have to hold your hands up. Pass from Jenz is brilliant, Ralston’s flick is inch perfect and Giakoumakis shows great composure to skin a few and stick it in the corner. Again, I give Eastwood no chance.

3rd goal is where I think everyone is being particularly harsh. If you watch it back carefully, you see the slightest touch on the original shot off of Callum Johnson. Eastwood has already dived when the touch happens and it means he has to readjust which explains why he didn’t have much control over where he pushed the ball from his original save. Again, I’d blame the defenders who are all static when the shot is taken and by the time Eastwood makes the save, we are reactive and Maeda is favourite.

4th goal is actually the goal I’d pin the most blame on him for. The angle Ralston bares down on goal at means he’s unlikely to take a shot, especially when Keith Watson is between him and goal. So I’m not sure why Eastwood suddenly rushes out his goal to allow Ralston to square the ball and give Forrest the whole goal to hit.

Ultimately the game was done at 3-1 but for a general main takeaway from that game to be ‘Eastwood is garbage’ baffles me. Don’t get me wrong, he may well be garbage. He just simply couldn’t have done much to prevent the goals that went in yesterday.

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Nah sorry Comrie I think you’re being extremely harsh here.

1st goal is 100% on the marking. To lose a goal to Celtic from a quick corner is inexcusable when it’s something they do literally every corner they take. It also takes a slight nick off Harmon on the way through so I’d give him no chance with that goal.

2nd goal, sometimes you just have to hold your hands up. Pass from Jenz is brilliant, Ralston’s flick is inch perfect and Giakoumakis shows great composure to skin a few and stick it in the corner. Again, I give Eastwood no chance.

3rd goal is where I think everyone is being particularly harsh. If you watch it back carefully, you see the slightest touch on the original shot off of Callum Johnson. Eastwood has already dived when the touch happens and it means he has to readjust which explains why he didn’t have much control over where he pushed the ball from his original save. Again, I’d blame the defenders who are all static when the shot is taken and by the time Eastwood makes the save, we are reactive and Maeda is favourite.

4th goal is actually the goal I’d pin the most blame on him for. The angle Ralston bares down on goal at means he’s unlikely to take a shot, especially when Keith Watson is between him and goal. So I’m not sure why Eastwood suddenly rushes out his goal to allow Ralston to square the ball and give Forrest the whole goal to hit.

Ultimately the game was done at 3-1 but for a general main takeaway from that game to be ‘Eastwood is garbage’ baffles me. Don’t get me wrong, he may well be garbage. He just simply couldn’t have done much to prevent the goals that went in yesterday.

Good points re the 1st, 2nd and 4th goals, think that's a fair reflection. However, that 3rd goal - which was the one the put the game to bed - was poor goalkeeping imo. It's basic keeping to push the ball away from the 6 yard box, he's got 2 hands to it and really should do better. 

Good points re the 1st, 2nd and 4th goals, think that's a fair reflection. However, that 3rd goal - which was the one the put the game to bed - was poor goalkeeping imo. It's basic keeping to push the ball away from the 6 yard box, he's got 2 hands to it and really should do better. 

I’m not doubting he should’ve done better, but I think that slight change of direction probably throws him off. I hope he’s given another chance to show his worth.

On 01/09/2022 at 20:06, Staggie_93 said:

C14660FB-4812-41CB-9FF2-CC81541317CB.thumb.png.b96469ab48cf28d435545f69d586953c.png

“Impressed on loan at Ross County two seasons ago”. They definitely based that on the Rangers fans giving him high ratings on the BBC match reports at the time, he was pish.

He wasn't a loan that sticks in the memory. Looked off the pace in most games. Has looked good for Scotland though. 🤷🏽‍♂️

It’s been a bizarre myth ever since he left that his loan spell was this big success because loads of Rangers fans and John Hughes said so. He was one of the safest players I’ve ever seen at Ross County and is miles behind what Livi have imo. That being said, wouldn’t surprise me to see Martindale make a player out of him.

Just now, Comrie said:

That repeated 9+ rating on the BBC from Rangers fans no watching the game giving him 10/10.

He's pish.

That's a short but fairly accurate review. Any player from the ugly sisters gets a +5 on the ratings. 

We’re several games in now and the squad is certainly getting to the settled status. What is the general opinion on recruitment this season? Good? Bad? Undecided?

For me personally, I am a big fan of Edwards and Olaigbe. Think they both have bags of potential: quick but also sharp, technically smart as well but most importantly they both look more than willing to put in hard graft. Purrington looks a steady find too, the type of player you’ll get a 7/10 from every week. Once Randall gets himself back in I think that’s a right good back 4 as I’m not quite sold on Johnson yet. I think the majority of the rest though I’m undecided on. Players like Akio, Hiwula and Dhanda have shown glimpses but not enough to warrant a start each match.

4 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

We’re several games in now and the squad is certainly getting to the settled status. What is the general opinion on recruitment this season? Good? Bad? Undecided?

For me personally, I am a big fan of Edwards and Olaigbe. Think they both have bags of potential: quick but also sharp, technically smart as well but most importantly they both look more than willing to put in hard graft. Purrington looks a steady find too, the type of player you’ll get a 7/10 from every week. Once Randall gets himself back in I think that’s a right good back 4 as I’m not quite sold on Johnson yet. I think the majority of the rest though I’m undecided on. Players like Akio, Hiwula and Dhanda have shown glimpses but not enough to warrant a start each match.

Sold on:

Laidlaw, Iacoveti, Randall, Callaghan, Edwards.

Maybe Purrington but not sure he is a left back 🤷🏽‍♂️

Other than that I think we need a bit more quality. 

Great getting loads of loan players but Johnston, Harmon, Akio, Loturi etc haven't shown much. 

9 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Good: Edwards, Olaigbe, Hiwula Purrington & Johnson.

Undecided: Akio, Loturi, Harmon, Dhanda, Eastwood

I've been pretty impressed with Jordy Hiwula, he ran his socks off, laid the ball off well and made some really good runs into dangerous areas, I just feel our midfield isn't quite up and running yet and he's had very little service. Purrington has settled in very well, he looks strong and assured. He could be a little more attacking but I like how his first priority is defence, he's a full back and that's correct imo. The team gelling and the tough fixtures we've had haven't been conjusive for marauding full backs so there's time for that to come. Johnson has looked really good these last couple of games, it's easy to judge too quickly as imo a player requires a few games to get up and running, especially in a defensive unit. Again he's looked strong when tested and shown good pace against wingers but what stood out most, especially from the aberdeen game is his timing of a tackle, very good imo. Randall may have a fight to get back into the team.

As I've said before Dhanda could be the key to this squad/season for us. If MM can find a system to fit him into and he finds a rhythm he could carve open many chances for us. Alternatively, it may just be that he can't adjust to the pace of the game up here and the fact he gets kicked up and down the park, hopefully experienced personalities like Cowie, Callachan and White can help him.

Akio is just back from injury so is severely weeks behind everyone, with Edwards, Simms, Olaigbe & Jordy performing well we can afford to be patient and give him short cameo/substitute appearances, similar with his brother Loturi in a hard working midfield.

I think everyone generally has at least shown flashes of why they have been signed. Johnson I think looks better going forward then defending (similar to Harry Clarke, perhaps) and Dhanda is very classy but I'm no quite sure we're set up to use him effectively. Olaigbe and Edwards both look very good singings. Purrington similar to Randall but technically a little better. 

Harmon looked much better than I expected before his injury. Think he could be a big player for us in the future.