The General Ross County Chat Thread

On 17/07/2022 at 09:30, Rcfc fan said:

Really excited by this signing , a fast and powerful forward with a decent goal return albeit im not sure how the standard of the Canadian premier league compares to the Scottish premier league

I just realized you guys signed that boy who is responsible for the most horrendous miss I have ever seen.

In terms of CPL quality, It's probably closer to Scottish Championship or English League Two level.  I've been to a few games this year and there are some good talents in the league but also a lot of jobbers.  Taking the miss aside, I am actually curious to see how this lad does in the Scottish Premiership, it will give us a good indication of where the level actually is, as opposed to my un-scientific observations

10 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

In terms of CPL quality, It's probably closer to Scottish Championship or English League Two level.  I've been to a few games this year and there are some good talents in the league but also a lot of jobbers. 

Seen much of akio or loturi? Are they top players in that division or just average?

7 hours ago, Rcfc fan said:

Seen much of akio or loturi? Are they top players in that division or just average?

I definitely hadn't seen them this season, and they weren't memorable last season.  I don't tend to remember players from the opposition teams unless they do something really special or something really terrible. 

37 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I definitely hadn't seen them this season, and they weren't memorable last season.  I don't tend to remember players from the opposition teams unless they do something really special or something really terrible. 

Akio certainly fits the profile of someone who could 'do a job' in this division. Loturi looks neat and tidy on the ball but isn't one that's going to break lines or score goals from midfield. I think they'll both be okay at worst.

34 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Some hype for Callum Johnson.

At least it's some focus on clubs outwith Glasgow.

The report writer even demonstrates a decent knowledge of the tactics used in some of County's matches last season.

I've seen very little of this new lad Johnson and I hope he's as good a prospect as the report suggests. I'd expect him to have a hard time pushing his way into the starting XI as Randall was a steady performer last season and will start as first choice I'd imagine.

Why is Ross County one of the few top clubs, maybe only one, who does not offer live stream for those living and working abroad?  Even East Fife offer it and Alloa had our match on their livestream.  I think we are missing an opportunity.  William Akio has a big social media following in Canada and Africa which could bring in extra revenue to watch him play.  We have a YouTube, Facebook, Twitter etc presence but no RCTV on the website.  A backward step getting rid of it in my humble opinion.  Many Ross County fans for one reason or another cant go to the ground to watch games but would pay to get it live.  Some I know are physically or medically housebound and miss going to the games.  Beiing able to watch it live would give them something back for all the years they supported the club financially and still could.

3 hours ago, Weegrumpyguy said:

Why is Ross County one of the few top clubs, maybe only one, who does not offer live stream for those living and working abroad?  Even East Fife offer it and Alloa had our match on their livestream.  I think we are missing an opportunity.  William Akio has a big social media following in Canada and Africa which could bring in extra revenue to watch him play.  We have a YouTube, Facebook, Twitter etc presence but no RCTV on the website.  A backward step getting rid of it in my humble opinion.  Many Ross County fans for one reason or another cant go to the ground to watch games but would pay to get it live.  Some I know are physically or medically housebound and miss going to the games.  Beiing able to watch it live would give them something back for all the years they supported the club financially and still could.

The whole streaming live matches is coming to an end. There's a bigger discussion on it in another thread somewhere. Basically Sky have the rights and they agreed to wave those rights for the lockdown period but that's overwith so now it a blackout. The SPFL are at fault, they knew what it was they were selling to Sky so that's where we are until the current contract ends.

5 hours ago, Weegrumpyguy said:

Clubs hands are tired, apparently. I'm missing the day as my foot is inflamed and I can't walk to the bus station. Would easy have laid down the cash for the game.

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

Clubs hands are tired, apparently. I'm missing the day as my foot is inflamed and I can't walk to the bus station. Would easy have laid down the cash for the game.

Pretty sure the club could stream home Premier Sports Cup games as others are doing. There's also scope for streaming league games to international audiences. The club evidently don't think the maths adds up for those.

It's league games to domestic audiences where their hands are tied due to the deal with Sky. It's back to normal this season after streaming during the pandemic.

Learnt about this forum as an occasional poster on Foot.ie, and coming from an area that is attempting to establish its own League of Ireland club, this thread seems the ideal place to ask about the Ross County experience in the Scottish League over the last three decades. Like Kerry, you're from an area that was traditionally isolated from the main centres of the national game, so what were the keys to your gradual progress up the league pyramid, and more importantly, how did you ensure it was self-sustaining? It certainly seems that local identity has been crucial to The Staggies.

32 minutes ago, Thekerryman said:

Learnt about this forum as an occasional poster on Foot.ie, and coming from an area that is attempting to establish its own League of Ireland club, this thread seems the ideal place to ask about the Ross County experience in the Scottish League over the last three decades. Like Kerry, you're from an area that was traditionally isolated from the main centres of the national game, so what were the keys to your gradual progress up the league pyramid, and more importantly, how did you ensure it was self-sustaining? It certainly seems that local identity has been crucial to The Staggies.

Have a rich benefactor.  It has never been self-sustaining.

17 hours ago, Thekerryman said:

I seem to remember a lot being spoken about the way Ipswich and also Norwich went about integrating the club with the community. 

The Ipswich chairman Sheepshanks, or something like that, he was pretty high up & respected within the FA at the time anyway. I know Ipswich are languishing down the leagues at the moment but they have/had punched above their weight for many a year. Anyway I'm sure representatives of RC had several meetings and with it close ties with the Norfolk clubs, their business models and how they grew to take on large established inner city teams.

20 hours ago, Thekerryman said:

Any lip service County ever paid to community or local identity went out the window with Malky Mackay.  It’s all down to some right good signings, some above average facilities and lots of cold hard cash.  Let’s not romanticise this.   

If Uncle Roy ever leaves, we’ll hurtle down to the lower echelons of the Championship in seconds. 

9 hours ago, Comrie said:

The goals, for folk who couldn't make it:

Our Twitter is a car crash of semi literate twaddle at times, but they weren’t lying about a couple of those goals.  Pray for the East Fife full backs.  

Edited by Savage Henry

On 23/07/2022 at 17:18, Forfinn said:

Pretty sure the club could stream home Premier Sports Cup games as others are doing. There's also scope for streaming league games to international audiences. The club evidently don't think the maths adds up for those.

It's league games to domestic audiences where their hands are tied due to the deal with Sky. It's back to normal this season after streaming during the pandemic.

I see Victor Loturi saying in the paper that his parents had to watch Twitter updates as there was no live stream.  As I understand it clubs can livestream for overseas during the season.  Clubs and TV companies need to think about those who cant access the game via the options only available in the UK.  It looks like a club decision and a lack of foresight one.  Online viewing can be a big earner.

A joined up approach akin to how the NFL work their gamepass system is the answer. They've done away with a lot of the variations now, but you used to be able to sign up to either your own teams' games (live, "as-live" & various lengths of highlights i.e. "game in 60", extended or condensed), or a broader package for not that much more where you could stream every teams games and highlights. Plenty of people would pay for that second package, especially if (as the NFL did) you pair it up with oodles of additonal content such as Hard Knocks (behind the scenes pre-season with a different team each year) and RedZone (think, Soccer Saturday but with the actual footage from the games) - you could even have a different extra package for the cups.

Trying to structure a deal that will benefit the Old Firm and not make the whole thing financially pointless (or worse, loss-leading) for everyone else will be the challenge, but at some point it makes sense to make every single game available.

Edited by Spain