The General Ross County Chat Thread

Common sense - young players with a point to prove coming at a fraction of the cost because you’re only paying part of the players wage.

A fraction of a big wage can still be more than paying a full wage for someone coming from a lower level.

A fraction of a big wage can still be more than paying a full wage for someone coming from a lower level.

100% but the posts above were talking about “experienced players” coming on permanent deals. I highly doubt any experienced players playing at a level below will be on County’s radar.

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

McIntyre back, this time at Cove.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61810274

Dundee fans hate him but had some success at County winning the league cup. Any memories of this preferred style of play and ability to recruit?

Must admit not feeling hugely confident he can continue the success that we've enjoyed as of late. Will give him every chance and see where it takes us.

20 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Dundee fans hate him but had some success at County winning the league cup. Any memories of this preferred style of play and ability to recruit?

Must admit not feeling hugely confident he can continue the success that we've enjoyed as of late. Will give him every chance and see where it takes us.

Dundee fans hate themselves. And they don't like their neighbours.

Everyone deserves a chance, and hopefully Jim will do well for you.

JM delivered the Scottish League Cup , not to be scoffed at.

So in your league it's ex Ross County Manager against his former assistant.

Time will tell. 

Style of play - Predominately played a 442 and we were generally pretty stubborn under him. He did however have a period where we played this weird 352 sort of thing where he played the best goal scorer the the clubs ever had in centre midfield so make of that what you will.

Ability to recruit - signed Boyce and Andrew Davies. Also signed Terry Dunfield and Chris Konopka. You’ll probably sign some mad left field names you’ve never heard of.

The main thing under his tenure was, and it was well known by the fans, that he lost the dressing room. He often threw the players under the bus in post match interviews and he was just very stubborn in general. Funnily enough, he actually signed Draper for County so I wonder if the Cove board have had a word to see what he’s like in terms of management style, although that’s probably unlikely. The end of his County stay was quite poisonous and he did deserve the sack but he gave me the best day I’ve had as a County fan so I generally wish him and Cove well, especially against Caley.

1 hour ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Dundee fans hate themselves. And they don't like their neighbours.

Everyone deserves a chance, and hopefully Jim will do well for you.

JM delivered the Scottish League Cup , not to be scoffed at.

So in your league it's ex Ross County Manager against his former assistant.

Time will tell. 

Cheers, a few decent league finishes too I notice. Looking back at his recruitment I see some good signings there. 

Hopefully he can hit the ground running and the Dundee disaster was an outlier not to be repeated!

2 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Style of play - Predominately played a 442 and we were generally pretty stubborn under him. He did however have a period where we played this weird 352 sort of thing where he played the best goal scorer the the clubs ever had in centre midfield so make of that what you will.

Ability to recruit - signed Boyce and Andrew Davies. Also signed Terry Dunfield and Chris Konopka. You’ll probably sign some mad left field names you’ve never heard of.

The main thing under his tenure was, and it was well known by the fans, that he lost the dressing room. He often threw the players under the bus in post match interviews and he was just very stubborn in general. Funnily enough, he actually signed Draper for County so I wonder if the Cove board have had a word to see what he’s like in terms of management style, although that’s probably unlikely. The end of his County stay was quite poisonous and he did deserve the sack but he gave me the best day I’ve had as a County fan so I generally wish him and Cove well, especially against Caley.

Boyce was actually an Adams signing. But he came good, like RCC, under a different manager at the club

Boyce was actually an Adams signing. But he came good, like RCC, under a different manager at the club

Was he? I’ve always had the impression that he was was a McIntrye signing. In fact I seem to remember someone on here correcting me about that in the past.

Yeah he was signed by Adams. Scored his first goal in a 1-2 home defeat against Kilmarnock (from a Joe Cardle cut in and cross IIRC). Pretty sure their front three of Ngoo, Magennis, and Obedayi ragdolled a defence containing Balk, Dreesen, and Celcer.

3 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I'm pinning my hopes on him having a relatively stable squad to come into and a bit of financial backing. I hope we get the McIntyre of Dunfermline, QoS and County and not the one of Dundee.

Draper has been nothing short of terrible for us unfortunately. Was past it before coming to us. Hartley's worst signing and a 3 year deal to boot. Vigurs has done alright but I'm not a big fan. Fyvie can do his role better and in the Championship this time around it might be one step too far for him. 

Any how, good luck with the season ahead Staggies. My mate, who lives in Aberdeen, is from Dingwall and is a County fan but now comes to Cove home games with me. Looking forward to a trip up to Victoria Park at some point.

13 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Unbelievable how wide you get when your team are so mediocre. What a riddy!

How much worse could it have been without the windfall?

Also, I'm very happy to be morally intact.

7 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

You'll either have no wide midfielders or six- in the latter case he won't play any of them.

2 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Welcome to the club.

He was broken when County signed him, and could barely run when he was released.  

He absolutely destroyed us in Highland derbies - just bullied us - but did very little in his time with County.  

As for McIntyre, he gave us a day that not one of us could ever have dreamed of, but you’d be hard pushed to find a County fan who wasn’t delighted to see him go.  I think that’s about all that needs to be said. 

How much worse could it have been without the windfall?
Also, I'm very happy to be morally intact.

Imagine you didn’t have that windfall - you’d have to raise funds by doing something quirky and left field like putting a drive in cinema into the car park.
He was broken when County signed him, and could barely run when he was released.  

He absolutely destroyed us in Highland derbies - just bullied us - but did very little in his time with County.  

I remember McIntyre getting having a dig at Caley when Draper had signed for County that he was extremely unfit after a whole season. Whether that was testament to the training methods of John Robertson or the failing physique of Ross Draper remains to be seen though.
That being said, he’s my mate’s cousin and he does a decent haircut for a fair price so he has my best wishes.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

As for McIntyre, he gave us a day that not one of us could ever have dreamed of, but you’d be hard pushed to find a County fan who wasn’t delighted to see him go.  I think that’s about all that needs to be said. 

I remember him and Tudor-Jones absolutely ragdolling our midfield over and over again.

No sign of Harry Paton in the training videos and photos that are across the club’s social media would suggest that he’s away too. Will be interesting to see if any other team is going to have a punt on him with his court case looming.