The General Ross County Chat Thread

25 minutes ago, forkboy said:

That was a spectacularly good day.

My mate walked out of the stadium on 21 mins after Hooper chipped Fraser to put them 2-0 up!

He'd made it to the Legion at the top of the high street and saw that Morrow had just scored to make it 2-2 after 36 mins. I'll never stop reminding him of that game.

22 hours ago, Comrie said:

What a tweet to see as I start work:

The last competent left back we’ve had?

Anyway, the new contracts are a sign that the club sees itself as safe from relegation.  

15 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The last competent left back we’ve had?

Anyway, the new contracts are a sign that the club sees itself as safe from relegation.  

Iko was good but have you not seen Connor Randall this season? To call him less than a competent left back is VERY unfair.

He's played 22 matches this season 90% at left back and he's looked really good imo. Both solid defensively and adding width to the attack.

Hopefully he'll be in the next batch to sign an extended contract.

24 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Iko was good but have you not seen Connor Randall this season? To call him less than a competent left back is VERY unfair.

He's played 22 matches this season 90% at left back and he's looked really good imo. Both solid defensively and adding width to the attack.

Hopefully he'll be in the next batch to sign an extended contract.

Only issue with Randall is that he has no left foot at all- while he's willing to run down the line, he will not put in a cross or ping a ball down the line as he's not confident enough to do so. That's why most of the balls Cookie gets onto are from either midfield Callachan/Paton/Spittal/Tillson or from Iacovitti going longer. He's game but cuts inside constantly.

46 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Only issue with Randall is that he has no left foot at all- while he's willing to run down the line, he will not put in a cross or ping a ball down the line as he's not confident enough to do so. That's why most of the balls Cookie gets onto are from either midfield Callachan/Paton/Spittal/Tillson or from Iacovitti going longer. He's game but cuts inside constantly.

I'm not disputing what you say but imo he's been one of our most improved players this season, playing at left back.

To suggest that he's less the competent is simply wrong imo.

Would you describe him as being less than competent from what he's done this season?

1 hour ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I'm not disputing what you say but imo he's been one of our most improved players this season, playing at left back.

To suggest that he's less the competent is simply wrong imo.

Would you describe him as being less than competent from what he's done this season?

This season he's been pretty competent and a decent RB at LB.

Still think he's a lesser player than Clarke/Vokins/Ramsay, but does a job.

9 hours ago, Comrie said:

This season he's been pretty competent and a decent RB at LB.

Still think he's a lesser player than Clarke/Vokins/Ramsay, but does a job.

Have to agree, competence is his level, and that’s ok, but we’re looking for slightly better than competent.

13 hours ago, Les Westander of County said:

TAKING THE KNEE

Sorry for not keeping up, but how come County don’t take the knee?

Personally I’d prefer they did.  Solidarity.  

I’ll give you one guess. 

44 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’ll give you one guess. 

Ok I'll indulge you... because our manager is a racist?  Yawn. 

We are not the only club who no longer take the knee.  I havent seen any directive from the SFA or the SPFL regarding this, so Clubs have been left to their own devices.  The gesture seems to have run its course, like the weekly clapping for the NHS; does this mean we think all nurses are lazy know because we dont clap for them once a week? No.  Things move on, it doesn't mean that the issues arent relevant.  

This is the most diverse Ross County squad I've ever witnessed, in terms of players we've never been so inclusive.  I'm guessing you weren't present for the minutes applause for Regan Charles-Cook, that brought a lump to my throat.  

By all means have an opinion on taking the knee, or lack of it, but at least voice it in reasoned debate rather than insinuation and bullshit.

Edited by Pete the Jakey
spelling again

On 11/03/2022 at 10:05, Pete the Jakey said:

Ok I'll indulge you... because our manager is a racist?  Yawn. 

We are not the only club who no longer take the knee.  I havent seen any directive from the SFA or the SPFL regarding this, so Clubs have been left to their own devices.  The gesture seems to have run its course, like the weekly clapping for the NHS; does this mean we think all nurses are lazy know because we dont clap for them once a week? No.  Things move on, it doesn't mean that the issues arent relevant.  

This is the most diverse Ross County squad I've ever witnessed, in terms of players we've never been so inclusive.  I'm guessing you weren't present for the minutes applause for Regan Charles-Cook, that brought a lump to my throat.  

By all means have an opinion on taking the knee, or lack of it, but at least voice it in reasoned debate rather than insinuation and bullshit.

Agreed.

I just thought it looked a bit shabby while other teams are still doing it. Personally I don't feel it has run its course but admit there does have to come a point when it is less considered and meaningful. 

It would be helpful if the whole SPFL - or failing that just whatever leagues would do it - could agree a stance. Possibly moving on to another visible show of solidarity against discrimination. 

On 18/03/2022 at 18:29, Staggie_93 said:

I maintain that had Derek Adams not put Paul Lawson on the naughty step for four months (using Fotheringham as his replacement), County would have eked at least another four points from their fixtures. If all else was equal, they could have finished third.

Spoiler

Lawson claimed to not know what it was about, but I think he and Russell Duncan were made an example of for the 1-4 loss to Raith Rovers in the league cup. I vividly remember that match being more about Kovacevic at centre-back being terrorised by Brian Graham, Jon Bateson having a nightmare at right-back and nothing happening up front because Gary Glen and Kurtis Byrne flanked Sam Morrow.

Ross Stewart in the Scotland squad.  Any competent club would have had a clause meaning we get more of a transfer fee, but knowing County they’ll likely be paying less now.  Great news for the lad - one of the best examples of genuine player development by the club.  

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Ross Stewart in the Scotland squad.  Any competent club would have had a clause meaning we get more of a transfer fee, but knowing County they’ll likely be paying less now.  Great news for the lad - one of the best examples of genuine player development by the club.  

I have it on good authority that Stewart getting his first Scotland cap is one of the clauses in the transfer. 

4 hours ago, House Bartender said:

Much excitement at Queens Park about a great managerial appointment...

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/267900-queen’s-park-2122/page/96/#comments

Someone from here should have a wee word in their collective ear...

I did try to but they're not in listening mode just now.  I'll maybe pop back around November to see if they've started to see through him.