The General Ross County Chat Thread

Guest TheJTS98
20 minutes ago, yoda said:

But despite that above paragraph I'm just not comfortable with him being at County.

I think a lot of people will have the view that people who have displayed severe character flaws or made huge mistakes in their past should be entitled to a continued career in their chosen profession. Just nobody thinks it should be at their club.

I wouldn't want Mackay anywhere near Hearts, but I am not comfortable with the view that someone should just be written off as a human being. McGregor will clearly have taken a load of character references and I'd imagine has spoken at length to Mackay and has decided he's comfortable bringing him in.

Is McGregor not a religious type too? If so, then he's living his belief in forgiveness and second chances.

Difficult one. I'm not fundamentally opposed to him working in football again, but NAMC thanks very much.

Edited by TheJTS98

I think people who say never again to people who have made egregious mistakes entrench people in their views as they feel they will never be welcomed into the progressive fold. The issue with Mackay for me is that he never really spent any time not in a privileged position. 

I think Football Authorities need to work with anti racism/inclusion bodies to come up with rigid frameworks that people need to satisfy to be welcomed back into football with a clear one second chance only policy. There likely needs to be a sustained period away from the game, requisite educational programmes completed, public apologies issued etc 

As others have pointed out, Makay qas given a well paid and important job in the SFA. Why do County feel the need to 'rehabilitate' him when he has already spent years apparently doing that at the SFA?

I can't stand Ross County FC but their fans on here are typically good #lads and fair play to the ones who have said they won't have a thing to do with the club if this awful individual becomes their new manager. 

Guest TheJTS98
28 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I think people who say never again to people who have made egregious mistakes entrench people in their views as they feel they will never be welcomed into the progressive fold. The issue with Mackay for me is that he never really spent any time not in a privileged position. 

I think Football Authorities need to work with anti racism/inclusion bodies to come up with rigid frameworks that people need to satisfy to be welcomed back into football with a clear one second chance only policy. There likely needs to be a sustained period away from the game, requisite educational programmes completed, public apologies issued etc 

I think one thing that was never really examined as far as I remember was the issue of why Mackay felt he could send those messages in the first place.

This is a guy who is the epitome of the football insider. Son of a player and an entire working life in football dressing rooms, dealing with coaches, dealing with scouts and agents etc and being exposed to the kind of things people talk and laugh about in those contexts. And he felt safe sending those messages. I'd imagine there were rakes of messages deleted by people in football in a panic as that story broke. Unless we genuinely believe that Malky Mackay just completely misread the room in terms of what he could send to other people in the game after decades working in football. That doesn't seem plausible to me.

What he did was wrong. But excluding one guy for life for something that all the evidence of the case tells us was a culturally acceptable thing to do seems wrong.

But then, I still wouldn't want him at Hearts.

40 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think a lot of people will have the view that people who have displayed severe character flaws or made huge mistakes in their past should be entitled to a continued career in their chosen profession. Just nobody thinks it should be at their club.

I wouldn't want Mackay anywhere near Hearts, but I am not comfortable with the view that someone should just be written off as a human being. McGregor will clearly have taken a load of character references and I'd imagine has spoken at length to Mackay and has decided he's comfortable bringing him in.

Is McGregor not a religious type too? If so, then he's living his belief in forgiveness and second chances.

Difficult one. I'm not fundamentally opposed to him working in football again, but NAMC thanks very much.

This is my view.

Also, let's be honest here, he's not just one rotten egg in an otherwise perfect industry. As Yoda pointed out earlier, the game is rife with racists, bigots, homophobes, sex offenders, violent offenders and the like. And that's just the ones we know about. There will be many in the game similar to Mackay, he just happened to be stupid and careless enough to get it put out there. He's done his training and counselling, and the anti-racism campaigns are on board with him, but he hasn't publicly shown any contrition or proactively tried to atone. It's difficult, I always prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I'd rather it wasn't my club welcoming him with open arms.

8 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think one thing that was never really examined as far as I remember was the issue of why Mackay felt he could send those messages in the first place.

This is a guy who is the epitome of the football insider. Son of a player and an entire working life in football dressing rooms, dealing with coaches, dealing with scouts and agents etc and being exposed to the kind of things people talk and laugh about in those contexts. And he felt safe sending those messages. I'd imagine there were rakes of messages deleted by people in football in a panic as that story broke. Unless we genuinely believe that Malky Mackay just completely misread the room in terms of what he could send to other people in the game after decades working in football. That doesn't seem plausible to me.

What he did was wrong. But excluding one guy for life for something that all the evidence of the case tells us was a culturally acceptable thing to do seems wrong.

Probably a more succinct version of what I was trying to say.

17 minutes ago, RiG said:

I can't stand Ross County FC but their fans on here are typically good #lads and fair play to the ones who have said they won't have a thing to do with the club if this awful individual becomes their new manager. 

I've emailed club expressing my disgust. May have just let my kids support old firm 🤷

Seems a very strange one, and obviously i agree that his remarks were disgraceful and probably not something you should be able to come back from. The timing feels terrible as the fight against racism has never been stronger everywhere else in football. Very strange, maybe it will be a super league situation with a u-turn due to fan power but who knows.

I will be sticking with County though because changing clubs is really only acceptable if you are 9 years old and even then its a bit of a dodgy move 😂

Kennedy would have been an interesting option too but this will just bring negativity so it's a shame

For the “local family club” County to purportedly go ahead with this appointment despite its so-called “morals and values” is just completely sickening, yet comes at no surprise at all. For the last few years, it’s been alarming the rate of the decline the club has gone through, both from a footballing and operational point of view. Time after time, decisions have been made with almost clockwork dependency with either no fan I put or completely ignoring the views of those who continue to support the club despite all the frustrations.

For the last couple of years at least, I have experienced quite the animosity and despondency from a large portion of the Fanbase, stemming mainly from the numbing dictator Uncle Roy and his team of happy-clappers. It’s blindingly obvious what the common denominators are behind our troubles, yet nothing -absolutely nothing- has been done to address it. Change is required pronto, and we fans have to drive this now.

I’m not meaning this to come across as an overreaction, however if Mackay does indeed get appointed, I will seriously reconsider whether my values align with the club these days, which is a very sad and humbling thing after decades of support.

37 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think you have put that very well.

2 minutes ago, stagdhu said:

For the “local family club” County to purportedly go ahead with this appointment despite its so-called “morals and values” is just completely sickening, yet comes at no surprise at all. For the last few years, it’s been alarming the rate of the decline the club has gone through, both from a footballing and operational point of view. Time after time, decisions have been made with almost clockwork dependency with either no fan I put or completely ignoring the views of those who continue to support the club despite all the frustrations.

For the last couple of years at least, I have experienced quite the animosity and despondency from a large portion of the Fanbase, stemming mainly from the numbing dictator Uncle Roy and his team of happy-clappers. It’s blindingly obvious what the common denominators are behind our troubles, yet nothing -absolutely nothing- has been done to address it. Change is required pronto, and we fans have to drive this now.

I’m not meaning this to come across as an overreaction, however if Mackay does indeed get appointed, I will seriously reconsider whether my values align with the club these days, which is a very sad and humbling thing after decades of support.

Yeah but I mean, you don't have a single penny of debt.  So swings and roundabouts.

3 minutes ago, stagdhu said:

Change is required pronto, and we fans have to drive this now.

Never underestimate the power of fan opinion.

We stopped Dodds coming on board with us. I have no doubt you guys can do the same with McKay.

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

MacGregor ever increasingly seems like the bloke with all the gear and no idea.

This is all a cunning plan IMO.

Get rid of Hughes, fans are happy.

Put out stories saying you're hiring Mackay.

Fans rebel.

Say Mackay is no longer an option, so you're going back to Hughes. Fans happy you've listened to them, plus happy that Hughes is in considering the alternative.

This really isn't my club anymore, I've been supporting this club since I was 5 years old. I just feel totally empty now, I thought with the statement that Roy put out that he finally got it and understood what the fans have been saying, and then he's decided Malky Mackay is the man that meets what he believes to be the clubs values. I don't know if I can support the club like this I really don't.