The General Ross County Chat Thread

2 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

looks like he's played Left back a few times, wonder if that's where we're planning on putting him

From that wee highlight real it did look like a lot of those clips were from left back but the lad can obviously move into the centre too, seems like a Fontaine replacement who is comfortable at left back so sounds okay to me. 

Edited by frankthetank22

Changing the subject here, but how does everybody feel about this summer of fiascos behind the scene, in terms of the season ticket drama, Staggies Army, refusal of refunds, contradictions and misinformation etc? Can’t help but feel that there has been a divide between the club and the fans which has been building for a few years, and is starting to show its head in a potentially ugly way. 

Not saying that there will potentially be any struggles between fans and club this coming season or beyond, but is it just me who senses that perhaps the ambitions and wishes of the fans aren’t exactly being taken seriously by the board?

Edited by stagdhu
Spelling

1 hour ago, stagdhu said:

Changing the subject here, but how does everybody feel about this summer of fiascos behind the scene, in terms of the season ticket drama, Staggies Army, refusal of refunds, contradictions and misinformation etc? Can’t help but feel that there has been a divide between the club and the fans which has been building for a few years, and is starting to show its head in a potentially ugly way. 

Not saying that there will potentially be any struggles between fans and club this coming season or beyond, but is it just me who senses that perhaps the ambitions and wishes of the fans aren’t exactly being taken seriously by the board?

I'm not sure what this part in bold means? Surely everyone, fans & board wish for and have ambitions of success. 

The board have to facilitate success on the field, be answerable for financial expenditure and ensure that the club is a growing and viable business that others will invest in for years to come. 

Is there some other unrest that I'm not aware of? 

9 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

I'm not sure what this part in bold means? Surely everyone, fans & board wish for and have ambitions of success. 

The board have to facilitate success on the field, be answerable for financial expenditure and ensure that the club is a growing and viable business that others will invest in for years to come. 

Is there some other unrest that I'm not aware of? 

Apologies, I don’t think I put my point across in the correct way there. What I meant was in relation to the expectations from the fans around the handling of the season ticket information, refunds, communication from and within the club, etc.

I agree that there hasn’t been any discrepancies between what the fans expect and what the club aim to deliver.

22 minutes ago, stagdhu said:

Apologies, I don’t think I put my point across in the correct way there. What I meant was in relation to the expectations from the fans around the handling of the season ticket information, refunds, communication from and within the club, etc.

I agree that there hasn’t been any discrepancies between what the fans expect and what the club aim to deliver.

Yeah, I see what you mean but i think this is something that's happening to all Scottish clubs at the moment, everyone had a season cut short, with season ticket holders prepaying for matches that never occurred. 

Are any clubs repaying supporters for these sums? Is anyone ACTUALLY looking for or expecting money back, I'd be surprised if anyone is tbh? 

The message about the season ticket renewal that came out about a week or so ago was a shocker imo, whoever wrote it/authorised it to go out NEEDS to get a bollocking. It was very poorly worded and created confusion about the message it was putting across, essentially direct to their customers.

Other than this last point I'm not sure what folk would have a gripe with? 

1 hour ago, frankthetank22 said:

Yeah, I see what you mean but i think this is something that's happening to all Scottish clubs at the moment, everyone had a season cut short, with season ticket holders prepaying for matches that never occurred. 

Are any clubs repaying supporters for these sums? Is anyone ACTUALLY looking for or expecting money back, I'd be surprised if anyone is tbh? 

The message about the season ticket renewal that came out about a week or so ago was a shocker imo, whoever wrote it/authorised it to go out NEEDS to get a bollocking. It was very poorly worded and created confusion about the message it was putting across, essentially direct to their customers.

Well, I understand you’re point and respect your stance on this, however I’ve spoken to a few other supporters over the season, and certainly over the past few weeks who are known die-hard supporters who have already decided that they will not renew their season ticket, and have opted not to sign up for the SA as they question where the money pumped into the club by the supporters over the years and the cash from transfers has gone, since we haven’t replaced the likes of Boyce/Naismith/Irvine at all. Add to that that other clubs around our stature (Hamilton/St Mirren/St Johnstone) have navigated these times very well, I question the authority behind the club as to how we now seem to be unstable financially?

I feel sorry to the supporters who have fallen on hard times recently and could really do with either their ST refunds or help from the club in not badgering or making them feel guilty for not signing up for the SA. THAT is how the divisions between the club and fans has stemmed.

Kettlewell using some connections, below is a cut and paste from the Ulster Herald. 

DERGVIEW attacker Emmett McNabb is to go on trial at a leading Scottish Premier League club.

McNabb, one of the most gifted players to emerge from the Fermanagh and Western League is recent years, is flying into Edinburgh on Saturday for a trial at Ross County.

The 21-year-old Dromore man, a former Northern Ireland underage player, joined Dergview from his hometown club of Tummery Athletic back in January and in matter of months has made his mark in the Bluefin Sport Championship.

Derg boss Ivan Sproule said the trial was just reward for some outstanding performances by his recent signing.

“I have plans for him for next season, however, following a conversation with my agent who represented me as a player he has been given an opportunity,” he said.

Sproule, who played professionally for 10 years, said the opportunity for McNabb to go and test himself alongside professional players reflects well on the local game and clubs like Dergview and Tummery Athletic.

“It shows what is possible. I rate the Fermanagh and Western League highly,” he said

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

As long as Sproule doens't tell him to get sent off during pre-season games for wild tackles.

I always felt Sproule was a great player for us. We were far too soft and he brought pace, aggression and a directness we badly needed. 

He left to go home for family reasons, which was perfectly understandable if the circumstances I heard were true but he was a huge loss to us on the field. 

4 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

Kettlewell using some connections, below is a cut and paste from the Ulster Herald. 

DERGVIEW attacker Emmett McNabb is to go on trial at a leading Scottish Premier League club.

McNabb, one of the most gifted players to emerge from the Fermanagh and Western League is recent years, is flying into Edinburgh on Saturday for a trial at Ross County.

The 21-year-old Dromore man, a former Northern Ireland underage player, joined Dergview from his hometown club of Tummery Athletic back in January and in matter of months has made his mark in the Bluefin Sport Championship.

Derg boss Ivan Sproule said the trial was just reward for some outstanding performances by his recent signing.

“I have plans for him for next season, however, following a conversation with my agent who represented me as a player he has been given an opportunity,” he said.

Sproule, who played professionally for 10 years, said the opportunity for McNabb to go and test himself alongside professional players reflects well on the local game and clubs like Dergview and Tummery Athletic.

“It shows what is possible. I rate the Fermanagh and Western League highly,” he said

Shades of Liam Boyce?  

Anyway, he appears to be a dual sport superstar; if he’s the same one as the Gaelic football chap.  Interesting story if nothing else.

On 26/06/2020 at 20:08, frankthetank22 said:

I see the club has responded to concerns like yours and I daresay many others... with free Harris Tweed scarves!  I’m not making this up.  To make up for any disillusionment with the Staggie Army project, members will now receive a free Harris tweed scarf.  I hope you find this resolution to your satisfaction.

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I see the club has responded to concerns like yours and I daresay many others... with free Harris Tweed scarves!  I’m not making this up.  To make up for any disillusionment with the Staggie Army project, members will now receive a free Harris tweed scarf.  I hope you find this resolution to your satisfaction.

Did you quote the correct message? I'm not sure what concerns you're referring to. I & others in my household, contribute (a little) through the SA scheme but I'm unsure what is a tweed scarf meant to resolve? 

With the continuing boredom without football I got to considering the make up of our first team squad and where we require strengthening. 

Team1.                     Team2

GK Laidlaw.                         Munro 

RB Randall.                         Watson

LB.  Iacovitti                         Reid

CB Morris.                            Draper

CB Donaldson.                  Grivosti 

CM Vigurs.                           Tillson

CM Paton.                            Kelly

RM Mullin.                             Spittal 

LM Gardyne.                      Charles-Cook

CF McKay.                           Shaw

ST Stewart.                         Erwin 

Draper, Watson, Spittal and others we all know can play in a few positions, plus the above 442 is obviously adaptable to other firmations.

I know I've missed Fontaine but that's how highly I rate him as a player after last seasons performances (hopefully he'll concentrate more on coaching this coming season). Also there's Joe Chalmers, i was lead to believe that he was all but away but i thought i saw his scraggy beard on the training field from one of the promo twets that came out last week. 

We have this McNabb lad over for a trial, hopefully he's the answer to our pacey winger issues, if he's anything like his manager Sproule was he'll be a hit!

I'm not expecting too much more signing activity tbh, well not unless some go out and therefore require replacing.

What are others thoughts on our current first team squad depth? 

Edited by frankthetank22
We signed a winger!

3 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

Did you quote the correct message? I'm not sure what concerns you're referring to. I & others in my household, contribute (a little) through the SA scheme but I'm unsure what is a tweed scarf meant to resolve? 

Yeah, apologies, the phone app sucks.

Anyway, winger alert!  I repeat winger alert!  Reagan Charles-Cook has signed on a two-year deal from Gillingham.  

11 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Yeah, apologies, the phone app sucks.

Anyway, winger alert!  I repeat winger alert!  Reagan Charles-Cook has signed on a two-year deal from Gillingham.  

Although he’s described as a midfielder...with a turn of speed, hopefully 

He could be useful, seems to have some speed on the wings but can charge box to box as well. Seems to also have a fair shot from a distance, although granted from the couple of youtube videos I've watched he's never actually hit the target

Edited by BobH
wording

12 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

The free scarf was always part of the SA deal, it was just delayed. Its not meant to be a shite olive branch. 

I'll say this till I'm blue in the face, the SA was clear at the time about what it was - a naked cash grab. I signed up on that basis. Anyone who thought it was anything else is a mug. 

2 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

Mental how WE are the ones that are going to stop celtic winning 10 in a row.

The signings we've made have been good on paper. looks a proper squad now.

Remember we said that about a load of Dutch guys and look how that one ended...

But yes agree some good signings on paper can't wait to see them in action.