2022/23 Scottish Championship Predictor

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not sure why they can’t. Anyone outside of Dundee, Inverness and Partick could finish bottom for me.

The team they have at the moment is decent but looks pretty standard for this league. Dunfermline team that got relegated for me was stronger than them on paper right now. They obviously have players to come in but so do most teams. 

Queens Park have neither Peter Grant nor John Hughes as their manager though, which is a pretty major advantage over that Dunfermline side. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Queens Park have neither Peter Grant nor John Hughes as their manager though, which is a pretty major advantage over that Dunfermline side. 

You rate Owen Coyle as a manager?

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

I have a feeling this coming season is going to be even tighter than last. No team stands out as being particularly strong… or weak. Dundee utterly shitfested their way to promotion 2 years ago and I don’t think this team is any better than that one. They will undoubtably be there or thereabouts but I can’t see them running away with it.

We are definitely stronger than the team that gained promotion in my opinion.  We do still need a striker and another creative player but the additions of McGinn, Rudden, French, Sweeney, McMullan (maybe), and the emergence of Mulligan since then would suggest our team is stronger. We obviously miss Charlie Adam’s’ ability but overall we are stronger.

However, doesn’t mean anything this season. I also think it will be incredibly tight and very competitive.

11 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

You rate Owen Coyle as a manager?

I was a bit underwhelmed with the appointment of Coyle initially, but it's fair to say he's absolutely won me over.

Without him coming in when he did, we'd 100% still be in League One. The players looked far more motivated, he changed the tactics and lineup slightly, and nailed every single substitution in the playoffs.

One thing he's been criticised for at his past clubs is poor recruitment, but we also have an experienced director of football who he'll be working alongside so I'm not concerned about that. He talks a good game, and you can see that the morale is really positive in the squad right now.

Football is a funny business and fans are fickle, so you never know how things might pan out eventually but for now I definitely think he's the right man for the job.

I’m feeling cautious on how we’ll get on this season. Maybe it’s purely cause I’ve never seen us in the championship but personally I think 6th or 7th might be where we end up. As long as we’re not the whipping boys in the league then I’m fine. A lot really does depend on the next few signings because as it stands, there’s 1 or 2 in our starting lineup that quite simply will not cut it across 36 games, especially in defensive areas 

From what I’ve read on everyone’s squads, Morton would be my current favourites for the bottom spot. Signing a couple of our duds from league 1 probably sealing that decision. 

A nagging part of me thinks Cove will really struggle also 

On 20/07/2022 at 15:14, Jacky1990 said:

Champions: Thistle
Play-offs: Dundee, ICT, Arbroath
Relegation Play-off: Hamilton
Relegated: Cove

Top scorer: Brian Graham

Best Player: Harry Milne

First manager sacked: Dougie Imrie

We are still paying off Gus, no chance we can afford to pay off Dougie too.

Only way Dougie wont be our manager for the full season is if he walks..

Play-offs: Dundee, ICT, Arbroath
Relegation Play-off: Hamilton
Relegated: Cove

Top scorer: Brian Graham

Best Player: Harry Milne

First manager sacked: Dougie Imrie

It will be very difficult for Partick to keep hold of Harry. How you seen him play against Killie will be his minimum level and he stood out miles away, he's going to keep improving. He's immensely physical, quick both over a long distance and even more so over the first few yards.

He'll be playing in what should be a successful side aiming for promotion but that itself will put him in the limelight even further, like it did with us. Promotion will increase your chances of keeping him but regardless he'll attract attention from clubs in the top tier, already is. I know for certain he was attracting interest from at least 2 SPL sides when playing for us in the final 3 months of the season. McCall got the PCA done very early. At worst you'll get a season with him and a transfer fee but I hope you get longer than that.

Harry and Tiffoney will be the strongest left side combination in this divsion.

Harry would walk into the Aberdeen starting XI as first choice LB. Many Cove fans expected him to go to the Dons. Goodwin too slow.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

On 22/07/2022 at 13:32, Double Jack D said:

1. Partick

On 21/07/2022 at 12:28, Les Cabbage said:

Partick

On 20/07/2022 at 14:40, Tattie36 said:

Gun to my head: Champions - Partick

On 20/07/2022 at 13:43, R&Y99 said:

1- Thistle

All this flurry since Danny Mullen signed.

5 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

All this flurry since Danny Mullen signed.

4 of those comments came before Mullen signed. Good try though.

My prediction is less of my faith in Thistle and more of my faith in Dundee to be a shambles.

With the League Cup out the road, nothing much has changed. Arbroath still need a striker, Raith still have no defensive or attacking depth, Cove still haven't really strengthened at all, Queen's Park's starting XI still isn't that great in the grand scheme of things, Morton still haven't signed a striker or playmaker, Hamilton have signed a couple but the squad is still poor while it's unclear if they'll make more signings, Ayr still look like shite managed by someone who doesn't know what he's doing.

I'll stand by my initial prediction, but one thing I'm less sure of is Hamilton being stick ons for 10th: with squads as they stand it wouldn't be much of a surprise to see them ahead of any or all of Ayr, Morton and Cove.