America

Obviously there is a thread for US shootings, and one for both Trump and Biden, but given all of the stuff going on over there, and it's apparent descent into fascism, I felt it was time for a thread to cover all bases.

Abortion laws, anti-LGBT laws, Fascist militias parading with police protection (contrasting with snipers and armed police surrounding women protesting the overturning of Roe v Wade), increased gerrymandering and the courts seeking to erode further freedoms means that the USA is an increasingly grim place to live.

So aye, post your news articles, photies and tweets here as we document America's journey towards Theocratic Fascism. 

It's an absolute fucking binfire of a country rammed with gun-toting incels and Q-Anon fucking weirdos. Baws to ever going or living there. I can only see further erosions of women's rights, gay rights and generally horrendous extreme right wing policy.

Multiply all that by 100 if Trump gets back in.

9 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

It's an absolute fucking binfire of a country rammed with gun-toting incels and Q-Anon fucking weirdos. Baws to ever going or living there. I can only see further erosions of women's rights, gay rights and generally horrendous extreme right wing policy.

Multiply all that by 100 if Trump gets back in.

America is a great place to visit.  No chance I’d want to live there though.

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I went to New York. I quite enjoyed it. 

New York is immense - my favourite day there was day I went to 9/11 museum and then a New York mets game.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

New York is immense - my favourite day there was day I went to 9/11 museum and then a New York mets game.

Don't really know why someone would go somewhere with so much negative history and energy. A bit ghoulish IMO.

The 9/11 museum sounds good though. 

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Don't really know why someone would go somewhere with so much negative history and energy. A bit ghoulish IMO.

The 9/11 museum sounds good though. 

The mets stadium is where the globe is in men in black where the space ship crashes through. It’s right across the road from flushing meadows as well.

I remember paying $12 for a Budweiser there and that was 2015.

my Mrs didn’t want to go up the new wtc tower because she was worried it would be hit by a plane. 

I can’t find the tweets looking back, but there was some excerpts from the congressional primary debates for the republicans in Wyoming and I think Texas, some of the stuff coming out is something that would see you sectioned under the mental health act. When Meghan McCain appears the sensible voice of a debate the world is fucked. 

Something like 80%+ Americans want women to have access to abortions. A clear majority support gun controls. 63% say health care should be supplied by the state.

The problem isn't Americans, it's their political system and corruption. 

America is a great place to visit.  No chance I’d want to live there though.
Depends where. I thought Florida (minus the fishing) was hellish whereas NY and Washington and upstate NY are tremendous places to visit but it's very subjective and others may say the opposite.

Was in the States a couple of weeks ago, it's a brilliant place for a holiday.  Although, I was fortunate enough not to get shot or require an abortion.  

As for living there, I'd imagine anyone with money will think its superb, anyone without much and the place is an utter hellhole.

It’s very à la mode to espouse how terrible the world is but it’s quite a blinkered view. I’m sure most Americans cringe at the thought of these right wing nuts being how the outside world views Americans just as most of us cringe at our gammony hooray Henry “leaders”. 

Look at the music, films, TV, books, fashion, science to have come out of America in the last 50 years or so. Astonishing talent.

Like most of the world, its political system is due an overhaul. 

21 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

It’s very à la mode to espouse how terrible the world is but it’s quite a blinkered view. I’m sure most Americans cringe at the thought of these right wing nuts being how the outside world views Americans just as most of us cringe at our gammony hooray Henry “leaders”. 

Look at the music, films, TV, books, fashion, science to have come out of America in the last 50 years or so. Astonishing talent.

Like most of the world, its political system is due an overhaul. 

It's getting one too.

I cycled across it 8 years ago and there are parts that are beautiful. It was hard to ignore a lot of the negatives, and I wasn't the least bit surprised Trump got in. The Christianity I encountered (white Christianity at least) felt mostly sinister and cult like. Some great people, like everywhere though.

The power grab going on right now is awful, but hopefully it will precipitate an American Spring type civil uprising. 

It's an absolute hellhole right now though. I don't think that's too subjective either