Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Very sad news, same type of cancer that my brother-in-law died from, not a nice way to go. I grew up wanting to be a goalie and loved him and Leighton as a kid, it wasn't just saves it was saves at crucial points and he really gave everybody around a lift as you'd trust him to deal with anything

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Sad. We'll all have good and bad memories of his performances, but 99% of them will be due to him pulling off ridiculous feats to keep the ball out of his net. It was often more of a surprise when he conceded.

No doubt we could all point out his personal faults, but he also seemed to put up with a lot of shite from the general public, judging by some of the stuff people have pointed out on here over the years.

My abiding memory was him in one goal and Leighton in the other when we won 6-5 at Fir park.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I was saddened to hear of Goram's death.

I think he did the right thing, going out quickly, no lingering on with chemo etc.

 

Just one thing, I looked at the Daily Record for info (a mistake, maybe) and saw this :-

You know you were some of distinction when your famous nickname precedes you - and that was the case with Andy Goram.  Goram, affectionately known as 'The Goalie', won 10 major honours with the Light Blues during a seven-year spell in Govan.

I never knew his nickname was 'the goalie'.    Just me?

Edited by cyderspaceman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

My abiding memory was him in one goal and Leighton in the other when we won 6-5 at Fir park.

There's probably someone from the other side of the world who saw that game and still tells people about how shite Scottish goalkeepers are  :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just come across this thread...........it only seems like a couple of days ago that I read AG's twitter that he'd been given only weeks by his consultant ..........I am feeling incredibly sad and teary-eyed that he has gone, a guy that gave immense pride and pleasure to innumerable Scottish fans of every stripe, let's put the rivalry shit in abeyance tonight...............58 y.o. is nothing.............guys like him don't come along very often and for me at least, the guy never lost his roots, despite his personal demons, and maybe that's why he resonated with so many fans all over Scotland.

 

A sad loss for us all.......

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

He made the best save I’ve ever seen - including the videos of Gordon Banks - from Pierre van Hooijdonk.  But I actually remember him most for his performances at Euro 96, and when was at Hibs.  There was a game away in Europe, back when David Begg was commentating down a telephone line, that Hibs got pulverised. Goram stopped it being ten or twelve nil.  It was clear he was very special in that game.   
 

For a while, around 96, he was as good as there was in the UK. 

Edited by Savage Henry
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Willie adie said:

I always rated Goram as the best shot stopper for Scotland 

Leighton the better goalkeeper, 

For me there is a difference 

A debate for another thread imo, mind you pre-Man United Leighton vs 90s Goram would be pretty close.

Anyway RIP, a genuinely world class Goalkeeper in his prime. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

A debate for another thread imo, mind you pre-Man United Leighton vs 90s Goram would be pretty close.

Anyway RIP, a genuinely world class Goalkeeper in his prime. 

There is a difference a goalkeeper for me commands his 18 yard box, dives at players feet, comes out,  catches crosses, 

A shot stopper is more goal line, 6 yard based, with probably more reflex saves,  and for me that was Goram.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely horrendous news. Far far too young. I saw him play many times against us as well as a few times live when he played for us. We could all list off so many saves he made at club and country level but for me personally, I'll always remember when he made a save from a Larsson header at Celtic Park and to this day how he kept it out I will never know. He's without a doubt the best goalkeeper this country has and will ever produce.

RIP "The Goalie".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, pawpar said:

Absolute legend of a goalkeeper and a great sense of humour. Remember one match against the pars at EEP when Goram (not unsurprisingly) didn't have much to do. We were all giving him dogs abuse calling him a fat b*****d when a stephens steak bridie package flew across the goal. Goram picked it up, opened it up and saw it was empty. Cue Goram then throwing it away in mock disgust. 

Watching Sky Sports News at the moment. Craig Brown talking about Euro 96 and how great a goalkeeper he was especially against the Netherlands and Switzerland. Was at both games and can remember against the Dutch we managed to scrape a nil nil draw despite being hammered all game. The reason for that result was the brilliant display by Goram.

Sadly missed. RIP The Goalie. 

firstly - really really sad news. 

secondly, I would need to see the match stats to this game but don't recall us getting pounded. Scotland played really well and whilst the Dutch were the better team it was hardly a pounding/backs to the wall. Goram played well as did the whole team but my main recollections are (I think!) Collins clearing one of the line with his arm and McPherson having the best chance of the whole game to score.

11 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Absolutely the best Scottish keeper ever and arguably better than Shilton & Clemence.

Wouldn't say either of those two would be the barometer of the best of the best. maybe I am biased ha

ETA - start the count of the moronic social media messages along lines of "I am a xxxxxx supporter but really sad to hear this.......' - as if being a fan of an opposition team means decency/sympathies/condolences being extended is a magnanimous exceptional gesture and needs to be highlighted....

 

Edited by KingRocketman II
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

firstly - really really sad news. 

secondly, I would need to see the match stats to this game but don't recall us getting pounded. Scotland played really well and whilst the Dutch were the better team it was hardly a pounding/backs to the wall. Goram played well as did the whole team but my main recollections are (I think!) Collins clearing one of the line with his arm and McPherson having the best chance of the whole game to score.

I remember it being a real battering for the first half-hour or so. It was an impressive feat that we made it to half-time without conceding. Second-half was less intense; either the Dutch punched themselves out a bit, or we'd worked out how to handle them better. The draw felt like an excellent result at full-time.

Just as an aside, I remember that Dutch side being absolutely profligate at tournaments. Patrick Kluivert should've been in double figures in 1998 with the number of excellent chances he missed. It says a lot that they usually still scored plenty!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, pawpar said:

Watching Sky Sports News at the moment. Craig Brown talking about Euro 96 and how great a goalkeeper he was especially against the Netherlands and Switzerland. Was at both games and can remember against the Dutch we managed to scrape a nil nil draw despite being hammered all game. The reason for that result was the brilliant display by Goram.

Sadly missed. RIP The Goalie. 

You're doing John Collins a disservice there, great save on the line from him ;)

Probably the only one Goram missed in that game. Some keeper.

I've been lucky enough to see Niemi and Gordon but that save from van Hoojidonk. Bloody hell.

Motherwell to Man Utd will never happen again. Seems mad now but Goram was definitely up there as one of the best goalies in the world at one point.

And a fine cricketer too!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

What a keeper.

I actually think had Andy Roxburgh been braver and chosen Andy over Jim Leighton in Italy 1990 we would have qualified for the next stage in the World Cup.

Big Jim was devastated at being dropped by Fergie after the FA Cup final draw against Crystal Palace and struggled with his confidence for many years. 

Goram deserved a world stage. He really was that good.

RIP Andy you were outstanding!

Edited by SuperSaints1877
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

What a keeper.

I actually think had Andy Roxburgh been braver and chosen Andy over Jim Leighton in Italy 1990 we would have qualified for the next stage in the World Cup.

Big Jim was devastated at being dropped by Fergie after the FA Cup final draw against Crystal Palace and struggled with his confidence for many years. 

Goram deserved a world stage. He really was that good.

RIP Andy you were outstanding!

arguably Leighton was at fault for the Brazil goal in the final game but McLeish or one of the central defenders was also culpable for ball watching - whereas Muller (I think it was) was on to the spill like a flash....

Edited by KingRocketman II
Off topic.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TBF, being eliminated from Italia 90 was less to do with the choice of goalkeeper at the end of the last game, and more that we couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo during the first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Darren said:

You're doing John Collins a disservice there, great save on the line from him ;)

Probably the only one Goram missed in that game. Some keeper.

I've been lucky enough to see Niemi and Gordon but that save from van Hoojidonk. Bloody hell.

Motherwell to Man Utd will never happen again. Seems mad now but Goram was definitely up there as one of the best goalies in the world at one point.

And a fine cricketer too!

 

Did he not actually get capped for Scotland a few times? I know he played at county level but I'm sure I read years ago that he also played for Scotland a handful of times. Correct me if I'm wrong about any of that.

Edited by AdamMFC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...