Andy Goram dies.

3 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:
1968 the West terracing got covered.
1990 before that happened for the East.

I'm sure I heard from a friend (Rangers supporter) many years ago that Rangers had made a contribution and that was why that end was covered. No idea how true that is.

Aye, they're well known for paying their fair share.

8 hours ago, tarapoa said:

If we play Hearts at Hampden, we go to the Toryglen end.  If we play Hibs, we are in the Mount Florida end.

There's some kind of unwritten sectarian thing that determines what end teams get at the 'neutral' national stadium.

This is 100% true. In my 60 or so years following Aberdeen, every single time we have played Hibs at Hampden we are given the Mount Florida end and every single time we have played Hearts at Hampden we have been given the Kings Park end. If it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny. It may well be an unwritten rule, but by god this rule has been passed down to each generation of the SFA.

21 hours ago, velo army said:

It might be against the grain to say this just now, but I felt that Goram was one of those players who was profoundly gifted but wasted it by not looking after himself. He was tremendous for Rangers, and he won loads of trophies, but he should have had 100 caps, and played at a higher level than the Scottish Premier Division. The man had supernatural ability to stop shots.

You're not going against the grain.  You are 100% right and "Booze, Burdz & Bookies" - with a foreword by Jim Baxter - is a biography that could be written many times about Scottish footballers. 

BUT Goram is about the best of the lot of the players whose footballing ability was overtaken by their lifestyle.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

This is 100% true. In my 60 or so years following Aberdeen, every single time we have played Hibs at Hampden we are given the Mount Florida end and every single time we have played Hearts at Hampden we have been given the Kings Park end. If it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny. It may well be an unwritten rule, but by god this rule has been passed down to each generation of the SFA.

Hearts and Rangers in MoFlo .  Hibs and Celtic at KP.  A'deen fitting in as and when.  This is absolutely not a rule. Funny, though...

11 hours ago, Forever_blueco said:

At one point our end was the only side with a roof I believe 

the establishment works in mysterious ways 

While I do love the 'our end' trope - see my post above - it was the Scotland end for Home Internationals.  This is why it was covered first.  Shame.  That Rangers paid for the roof is one conspiracy theory I wish was right.

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I dont disagree with you, but its not just the SFA.

The requirement for "their end" is one which imo is demanded by the two largest clubs (even if some of their fans would happily go to the other end) - when you play in the League Cup the same system persists via the SPFL because Doncaster is basically working for the pair of them.

Back o/t - RIP Andy Goram, I had an English boss who used to play cricket with him at Penicuik - said he was great craic post match, great stories etc.

35 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Back o/t - RIP Andy Goram, I had an English boss who used to play cricket with him at Penicuik - said he was great craic post match, great stories etc.

I think his very public bigotry & racism override the “great craic”, wouldn’t you?

I would not wish his ending on anyone, but this “what a great guy” nonsense is a nauseating fabrication. 

18 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I think his very public bigotry & racism override the “great craic”, wouldn’t you?

I would not wish his ending on anyone, but this “what a great guy” nonsense is a nauseating fabrication. 

Just to be clear - wasnt my opinion m9, just passing on what my ex boss said about him. 

On 05/07/2022 at 12:14, tarapoa said:

If we play Hearts at Hampden, we go to the Toryglen end.  If we play Hibs, we are in the Mount Florida end.

There's some kind of unwritten sectarian thing that determines what end teams get at the 'neutral' national stadium.

Contact the SFA for details 

10 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Possible to be a raging Banjo Country redneck bigot and be completely affable at a personal level.

I met the late Ian Paisley a number of times.

Couldn't be nicer.

Complete bigot of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Annoyed me the Record named a great goalie and crossing the "divide" Alan Ruff.  f**k sake man get the basics right.

Goram I was told was arrogant when at Hibernian and a bigot during and after his move to Rangers.  Perhaps it made him ££ after his career finished by acting that way and if so fair do's.

Easily the best goalie Scotland have had in about 50 years at least.  And for someone born in England and a loyalist he was a proud Scotsman. 

RIP Goalie.  Condolences to everyone who knew and loved him. 

On 06/07/2022 at 08:00, Thenorthernlight said:

It obviously depends on the audience at the time.  I don't think he would sing the sash in front of Hibees but instead talk about the memories of him coming up to Scotland.

I don't mean Aberdeen fans are a bunch of mutton molesters but that's the audience.  Are Aberdeen fans genuinely personally that hate filled they still sing songs about Ibrox disaster and Durrant getting crippled? I for one have no idea if the wife of the late Wallace Mercer has sex toys in her drawer and if she does shes probably at an age not worth imagining but was a song sang 15 years back.

Yours,

Smackheid peg selling sister shagging gypo. 

Edited by Hoose Rice

44 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

It obviously depends on the audience at the time.  I don't think he would sing the sash in front of Hibees but instead talk about the memories of him coming up to Scotland.

I don't mean Aberdeen fans are a bunch of mutton molesters but that's the audience.  Are Aberdeen fans genuinely personally that hate filled they still sing songs about Ibrox disaster and Durrant getting crippled? I for one have no idea if the wife of the late Wallace Mercer has sex toys in her drawer and if she does shes probably at an age not worth imagining but was a song sang 15 years back.

Yours,

I’m not a hypocrite.

I think he was an absolute c**t. 

Maybe that’s cleared up any confusion. 

4 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

It’s from a couple of people I know who dealt with him on a personal basis & Goram shafted then in a horrible manner.

I won’t say more than that. 

They’d call him worse than what I did.

I don't know anything about his business etc, but based on reports it was probably a bit chaotic. I met him a few times, away from his usual audience and he was alright.

12 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Yours,

When Goram came up to Hibs from Oldham he didn't have a clue about any of the sectarian rubbish. He raised in Lancashire. He was more interested in going to Musselburgh races with Alan Rough and visiting bookies when he was at Hibs and getting a sub off the other players as he'd often blown his wages at the track. Goram was generally a happy camper when he was at Hibs. He was only sold because the club was in a financial mess at the time.

He was the original daft impressionable laddie when he moved to Rangers and immersed himself in the "culture". If Hibs had sold him to Celtic he's have no doubt done the same there and if he'd been sold to an English club he'd have gone south none the wiser about any of that stuff.

Terry Butcher, much as he was a hopeless manager at Hibs, spoke pretty freely about how easy it was to slide down the rabbit hole at Rangers into the whole sectarian gig in his autobiography.  He's a much more intelligent and thoughtful man than Goram was and he distanced himself from all that crap utterly embarrassed by it.

Edited by AndyM