Andy Goram dies.

42 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Henry Smith got a cap for Scotland at football and played cricket for Corstorphine but was overlooked by the Scotland selectors, alas.

Maybe he dropped the cricket ball too often...

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

But Andy hated shipping goal.  For most keepers it's 'aye. it happens' but not for Goram.  He seemed to take each goal against him as a personal insult.

That's why he is the best keeper in living memory.

I think it’s only Arch Stanton earlier in the thread who has mentioned it, and that’s to say that Goram’s display that night at Elland Road is by far and away the best goalkeeping display over 90 minutes that I’ve ever seen. He had an almost ferocious desire to not be beaten that night. When Cantona scored late on, despite the tie already being over, he was absolutely raging and considered it a personal insult that they’d scored against him. 

Fifty fucking eight. Jesus Christ. 

RIP Goalie. 

6 hours ago, pub car king said:

I got into football in the early nineties and I was a goalkeeper. So I was well aware of Scotlands number 1. His ridiculous shot stopping ability despite not hitting 6 foot was incredible the man was some sort of contortionist witch.

2 games stick out for me the champions league game against Leeds and euro 96 against Holland. Then there are the countless games where he broke people's hearts most famously Tommy Burns as Celtic manger. 

People die at a young age far to regularly but this one struck a chord perhaps because he was one of my earliest footballing memories. 

I found this from the bizarre loan move to Manu Utd. He got a league medal out of it and noise up Roy Keane into the bargain. 

https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/andy-goram-manchester-united-895596

Moving from Motherwell to Man Utd and winning an English Premiership medal, something else no one will match him in being able to do....unless Ten Haag takes the notion to buy a big Dutch shithouse striker who can pickup up 12 yellow cards without even trying.

If I remember right there are a certain amount of extra medals available and they can be requested by the club for players who for one reason or another haven't played the amount of games that automatically get you one.

My recollection is that he was serenaded with You're not English Any More  from the Rangers end at Hampden on his Scotland debut back before the Family von Trapp showed up. RIP, doubt we'll ever have two keepers of the quality of Goram and Leighton competing for the jersey again.

22 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

My recollection is that he was serenaded with You're not English Any More  from the Rangers end at Hampden on his Scotland debut back before the Family von Trapp showed up. RIP, doubt we'll ever have two keepers of the quality of Goram and Leighton competing for the jersey again.

“Rangers end at Hampden”.

Four of the words that encapsulate what a parochial backwater Scottish football is

The SFA are complicit.

Reserving ends at a national stadium for two teams.

My abiding memory of Goram was from a league match at Pittodrie in February 1993, when Aberdeen were still in with a decent shout of winning the league if we could beat Rangers in this midweek match. We scored a barrowload of goals that season, a couple of 7s, a 6 and multiple 4s, and we threw everything at Goram that night but he was absolutely unbeatable that evening and Rangers sneaked a 1-0 win with a breakaway Hately goal. Goram won them the vital three points with that display. Save after save after save kept our score at nil. One of the best goalkeeping displays I’ve ever seen in the flesh.

43 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

My abiding memory of Goram was from a league match at Pittodrie in February 1993, when Aberdeen were still in with a decent shout of winning the league if we could beat Rangers in this midweek match. We scored a barrowload of goals that season, a couple of 7s, a 6 and multiple 4s, and we threw everything at Goram that night but he was absolutely unbeatable that evening and Rangers sneaked a 1-0 win with a breakaway Hately goal. Goram won them the vital three points with that display. Save after save after save kept our score at nil. One of the best goalkeeping displays I’ve ever seen in the flesh.

Great goalie.

Still a horrible c**t though.

Nothing changes that. 

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

My abiding memory of Goram was from a league match at Pittodrie in February 1993, when Aberdeen were still in with a decent shout of winning the league if we could beat Rangers in this midweek match. We scored a barrowload of goals that season, a couple of 7s, a 6 and multiple 4s, and we threw everything at Goram that night but he was absolutely unbeatable that evening and Rangers sneaked a 1-0 win with a breakaway Hately goal. Goram won them the vital three points……

That good he earned them bonus points.

The Holland game has obviously been mentioned, but I remember, for some reason, the new year OF game in 1998 that Celtic won 2-0 (both unstoppable goals) and he was unbelievable. Brattbakk gained a reputation as a bit of a dud at Celtic (very unfairly imo) but against another keeper he'd have had a hattrick in that game and his Celtic career would have been very different. 

It might be against the grain to say this just now, but I felt that Goram was one of those players who was profoundly gifted but wasted it by not looking after himself. He was tremendous for Rangers, and he won loads of trophies, but he should have had 100 caps, and played at a higher level than the Scottish Premier Division. The man had supernatural ability to stop shots.

It's awful news.

15 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

“Rangers end at Hampden”.

Four of the words that encapsulate what a parochial backwater Scottish football is

The SFA are complicit.

Reserving ends at a national stadium for two teams.

I think people read a bit too much in to this. I think it’s the police that have a heavy influence for logistical purposes. Personally I hate the ‘Celtic end’ as it has only two pubs. The other end has a load of pubs, hotels a coach park and a close by train station. We got a fair chunk of that end for a cup final years ago and it was a far better experience would be happy to bin the whole preferential end thing.

Edited by gannonball

15 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Exactly the game that stands out for me in terms of memories of Goram's goalkeeping quality - much of it in front of the Beach End to Dickie D ongoing conversion.

Willie Miller's free-scoring Dons side of 92/93 utterly pulverised rangers that evening, but Goram's performance defied belief.

I saw 'Bomber' Brown mention this match in a Sunday paper I glanced - whereas Keevins and the usual hacks of course mention his 'old firm' performances, despite Celtic only being the main challengers during the second half of the 9-in-a-row thing.

37 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I think people read a bit too much in to this. I think it’s the police that have a heavy influence for logistical purposes. Personally I hate the ‘Celtic end’ as it has only two pubs. The other end has a load of pubs, hotels a coach park and a close by train station. We got a fair chunk of that end for a cup final years ago and it was a far better experience would be happy to bin the whole preferential end thing.

Nonsense. 
Nothing  to do with the police.

If Aberdeen play Celtic in a cup final, theoretically those coming from the north east will arrive at the east end of the ground.

Yet Aberdeen are out in the west stand “because Celtic have an end”.

It’s pathetic & is 100% the SFA’s doing 

5 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Nonsense. 
Nothing  to do with the police.

If Aberdeen play Celtic in a cup final, theoretically those coming from the north east will arrive at the east end of the ground.

Yet Aberdeen are out in the west stand “because Celtic have an end”.

It’s pathetic & is 100% the SFA’s doing 

If we play Hearts at Hampden, we go to the Toryglen end.  If we play Hibs, we are in the Mount Florida end.

There's some kind of unwritten sectarian thing that determines what end teams get at the 'neutral' national stadium.