Andy Goram dies.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Was that the one where commentator Gerry McNee thought Celtic had  actually scored for the next ten minutes? 😆

TBH I don't think you needed to be that elite a sportsman to get capped for Scotland at cricket in the 90s.

IIRC there was a photo of him at a game while Scotland were batting, saftening a bottle of wine with one of the Two Fat Ladies 😁

I remember him playing for Motherwell at Rugby Park and saying to my mates "look at the nick of him, supposed to be a professional athlete!" Of course he proceeded to make an absolute worldie of a save from McCoist I think to earn Well a result 😖

RIP The Goalie 

Anybody else done it at 2 sports (one of which is cricket)?

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Was that the one where commentator Gerry McNee thought Celtic had  actually scored for the next ten minutes? 😆

No, pretty sure that was a rangers goal at ibrox, stv had it as a goal so everyone watching at home thought they’d scored too.

How the commentary team etc, sitting in the stadium, didn’t notice that the game restarted with a free kick in the penalty box is beyond me, the entire production team must’ve been glued to the replays or celebrating the goal. 

edit - 

Edited by Drew Brees

10 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

ETA - start the count of the moronic social media messages along lines of "I am a xxxxxx supporter but really sad to hear this.......' - as if being a fan of an opposition team means decency/sympathies/condolences being extended is a magnanimous exceptional gesture and needs to be highlighted....

I am a massive fan of Chinese food but RIP.

No, pretty sure that was a rangers goal at ibrox, stv had it as a goal so everyone watching at home thought they’d scored too.

How the commentary team etc, sitting in the stadium, didn’t notice that the game restarted with a free kick in the penalty box is beyond me, the entire production team must’ve been glued to the replays or celebrating the goal. 

edit - 

It could be because the decision was so bafflingly awful that nobody even considered for a second the goal wouldn't stand.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It could be because the decision was so bafflingly awful that nobody even considered for a second the goal wouldn't stand.

Think we’ve all seen goals incorrectly disallowed but we know when they’re given and when they are not. 

4 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

edit - 

How on earth didn’t they manage to read the room or stadium in this instance 

26 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

How on earth didn’t they manage to read the room or stadium in this instance 

My only explanation is that it’s McNee and Walker we’re talking about. 

11 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Did Donald Ford not get picked for Scotland at both football and cricket?

He had retired from football when he got his cricket cap for Scotland, but, yes, he did.

According to wikipedia, there are 4 players to have played for Scotland at both football and cricket - John Macdonald, Scot Symon, Donald Ford & Andy Goram.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

He had retired from football when he got his cricket cap for Scotland, but, yes, he did.

According to wikipedia, there are 4 players to have played for Scotland at both football and cricket - John Macdonald, Scot Symon, Donald Ford & Andy Goram.

Did Donald Ford not just play in the B&H Cup for Sotland, rather than Internationally, so would be List 1 games rather than First Class appearances which Goram did vs Ireland? Pretty sure similar would apply to Macdonald & Symon & Andy Goram remains the only person to represent Scotland in Internationally recognised competitions in both sports..

9 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

I was at Ibrox the day Killie fans sang that song and he took it really well if memory serves me right and also at Hampden the night he made his debut and the fans sang 'You're not English anymore"

Without a doubt the best Scottish goalkeeper I have ever seen and arguably as good as any other keeper in the UK, including Shilton and Southall. 

Listened to Sportsound yesterday when they did a tribute to him which was excellent - I had forgotten he played with both  Motherwell and QOTS. 

Morton fans started it the week before in the League Cup game at Ibrox. Goram himself, when later asked who started it, replied "Those b'st'rd Morton fans."

As for the player - I can still recall his amazing performance in that 0-0 game against the Netherlands at Villa Park. The Dutch players walked off at the end as though they'd lost. He also scored against Morton for Hibs in 1988.

29 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Did Donald Ford not just play in the B&H Cup for Sotland, rather than Internationally, so would be List 1 games rather than First Class appearances which Goram did vs Ireland? Pretty sure similar would apply to Macdonald & Symon & Andy Goram remains the only person to represent Scotland in Internationally recognised competitions in both sports..

Symon played cricket for Scotland in 1938, taking five Australian wickets for just 33 runs

15 hours ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

I count myself lucky that I've seen arguably the 3 best Goalkeepers that Rangers have ever had in Goram, Klos and McGregor play in their prime (cos I'm an old c**t).

You could argue until the cows come home as to who was the best, but Andy edges it for me. 

I watched the video Rangers tweeted and had a tear in my eye at the end. 

I'm a bit - well quite a bit - older than you.  I was brought up on a diet of The Girvan Lighthouse and Gerry Neef.  The Clangers before The Clangers ever was a thing.

When Chris Woods joined Rangers it was goalkeeping you'd never seen before.  A fit, enthusiastic, tactically aware  bloke whose shot-stopping was only matched by his ball distribution.  The first time I knew goalkeeping could be a tactical position.

Andy was different in so many way.  His distribution was poor, his tactical awareness was non-existent and he'd applaud himself if he actually came out to catch a ball from a corner.

But Andy hated shipping goal.  For most keepers it's 'aye. it happens' but not for Goram.  He seemed to take each goal against him as a personal insult.

That's why he is the best keeper in living memory.

The Goalie.

Edited by The_Kincardine

I got into football in the early nineties and I was a goalkeeper. So I was well aware of Scotlands number 1. His ridiculous shot stopping ability despite not hitting 6 foot was incredible the man was some sort of contortionist witch.

2 games stick out for me the champions league game against Leeds and euro 96 against Holland. Then there are the countless games where he broke people's hearts most famously Tommy Burns as Celtic manger. 

People die at a young age far to regularly but this one struck a chord perhaps because he was one of my earliest footballing memories. 

I found this from the bizarre loan move to Manu Utd. He got a league medal out of it and noise up Roy Keane into the bargain. 

https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/andy-goram-manchester-united-895596

4 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Did Donald Ford not get picked for Scotland at both football and cricket?

Henry Smith got a cap for Scotland at football and played cricket for Corstorphine but was overlooked by the Scotland selectors, alas.