Andy Goram dies.

5 minutes ago, AdamMFC said:

Did he not actually get capped for Scotland a few times? I know he played at county level but I'm sure I read years ago that he also played for Scotland a handful of times. Correct me if I'm wrong about any of that.

He represented Scotland four times: twice (1989 and 1991) in the annual first-class game against Ireland and twice (again in 1989 and 1991) in the NatWest Trophy.[55][56] He is the only person to have played in a first-class cricket match and a full international football match for Scotland.[57]

Andy Goram - Wikipedia

7 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

My abiding memory was him in one goal and Leighton in the other when we won 6-5 at Fir park.

Meh, one game at FP where he was forgettable.

6 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

I think he did the right thing, going out quickly, no lingering on with chemo etc.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding here but was this documented as Goram deciding not to bother fighting it?

2 hours ago, Darren said:

Motherwell to Man Utd will never happen again.

Man U are shite these days. I reckon they could do with a Liam Kelly easily.

4 hours ago, AdamMFC said:

Did he not actually get capped for Scotland a few times? I know he played at county level but I'm sure I read years ago that he also played for Scotland a handful of times. Correct me if I'm wrong about any of that.

Apparently he was the only Scotsman to be an international at both cricket and football.

ETA: As was almost immediately pointed out by Zen Archer (Raconteur)

Edited by Jacksgranda

4 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

19 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Apparently he was the only Scotsman to be an international at both cricket and football.

ETA: As was almost immediately pointed out by Zen Archer (Raconteur)

That's some achievement that I don't see being matched for a long long time, if ever. It just adds to the legend of him being an elite sportsman.

I count myself lucky that I've seen arguably the 3 best Goalkeepers that Rangers have ever had in Goram, Klos and McGregor play in their prime (cos I'm an old c**t).

You could argue until the cows come home as to who was the best, but Andy edges it for me. 

I watched the video Rangers tweeted and had a tear in my eye at the end. 

10 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Just come across this thread...........it only seems like a couple of days ago that I read AG's twitter that he'd been given only weeks by his consultant ..........I am feeling incredibly sad and teary-eyed that he has gone, a guy that gave immense pride and pleasure to innumerable Scottish fans of every stripe, let's put the rivalry shit in abeyance tonight...............58 y.o. is nothing.............guys like him don't come along very often and for me at least, the guy never lost his roots, despite his personal demons, and maybe that's why he resonated with so many fans all over Scotland.

A sad loss for us all.......

Given my love of Cricket & Football, his passing has hit me hard. All I will say is that if he was in goals that day, instead of Colin Scott, then Killies recent history would be very different.

25 minutes ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

I count myself lucky that I've seen arguably the 3 best Goalkeepers that Rangers have ever had in Goram, Klos and McGregor play in their prime (cos I'm an old c**t).

You could argue until the cows come home as to who was the best, but Andy edges it for me. 

I watched the video Rangers tweeted and had a tear in my eye at the end. 

5 foot 9, bit of a fat lad, could still make saves that would make Sepp Maier or Lev Yashin greet. He was utterly magnificent.

Yeah anyone who started watching football in the 90’s can help but have a respect for the goalkeeper he was. Wasn’t the tallest or the most athletic but pulled off some unreal saves.

58 is nothing, a real shame.

9 hours ago, Willie adie said:

There is a difference a goalkeeper for me commands his 18 yard box, dives at players feet, comes out,  catches crosses, 

A shot stopper is more goal line, 6 yard based, with probably more reflex saves,  and for me that was Goram.

There's a tale of Andy laying down the law to a new center half that Rangers had signed in training.  He motioned to the 6 yard box and said "this is mine, everything else, you fucking deal with", which seems about right from watching him play. 

19 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Absolutely the best Scottish keeper ever and arguably better than Shilton & Clemence.

Who can forget "Two Andy Gorams" though? 

I was at Ibrox the day Killie fans sang that song and he took it really well if memory serves me right and also at Hampden the night he made his debut and the fans sang 'You're not English anymore"

Without a doubt the best Scottish goalkeeper I have ever seen and arguably as good as any other keeper in the UK, including Shilton and Southall. 

Listened to Sportsound yesterday when they did a tribute to him which was excellent - I had forgotten he played with both  Motherwell and QOTS. 

Somehow missed all this yesterday; only found out on the radio news this morning. Very sad news.

Guy I used to work beside was good mates with him and as such was on first-name terms with most of the Rangers players of the time. Used to tell us some stories...

15 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

He really was an incredible goalie. Even when gazza put Hendry on his arse at Wembley I was sure Goram would keep it out.

Says everything about the pair of them, It was 20 years when I first saw that goal, I don't want to see it again in my lifetime, yet if anyone could have saved it, The Goalie would have.

8 hours ago, Darren said:

that save from van Hoojidonk. Bloody hell.

Was that the one where commentator Gerry McNee thought Celtic had  actually scored for the next ten minutes? 😆

2 hours ago, AdamMFC said:

That's some achievement that I don't see being matched for a long long time, if ever. It just adds to the legend of him being an elite sportsman.

TBH I don't think you needed to be that elite a sportsman to get capped for Scotland at cricket in the 90s.

IIRC there was a photo of him at a game while Scotland were batting, saftening a bottle of wine with one of the Two Fat Ladies 😁

I remember him playing for Motherwell at Rugby Park and saying to my mates "look at the nick of him, supposed to be a professional athlete!" Of course he proceeded to make an absolute worldie of a save from McCoist I think to earn Well a result 😖

RIP The Goalie 

18 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

Just watched a compilation of his saves on youtube. Impressive enough but lacking context. Those of us old enough will remember him single-handedly breaking teams (Aberdeen & Celtic being great examples) by saving everything thrown at him, very often under the most severe pressure imaginable. One of the greatest goalies.

Amen to that, I remember the two league matches at Pittodrie in 1995/96. We lost both 0-1 (Moore scored in one and a Gascoigne penalty in the other) and we threw everything including the kitchen sink at them but Goram stood firm. He seemed to use every part of his anatomy to keep us out. I hated him at the time but he was a great keeper.

He was brave to decide against the chemo. I think the normal instinct would be to try and extend and hope for divine intervention. I hope that his final moments were peaceful and painless.