Andy Goram dies.

18 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Esophageal cancer is a shite way to go and 58 is no age. Never his biggest fan but he was a tremendously talented goalkeeper. RIP Andy. 

It certainly is.

18 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

So should you ignore what someone was like because they have died?

Clearly not. Margaret Thatcher and Jimmy Saville spring to mind without too much deep thought. Whatever failings Goram had, he was hardly an evil barsteward though.

Sad. We'll all have good and bad memories of his performances, but 99% of them will be due to him pulling off ridiculous feats to keep the ball out of his net. It was often more of a surprise when he conceded.

No doubt we could all point out his personal faults, but he also seemed to put up with a lot of shite from the general public, judging by some of the stuff people have pointed out on here over the years.

I'm not old enough to fully appreciate how good he was however one thing always stuck in my mind. Our last season at Brockville I was only 8 but there are a few games I can vividly remember. One of them was a 5-0 over QoS when Goram was there. At 8 years old you don't really pay much attention to the opposition players but this was an exception.

One of the only games I can genuinely say I've seen the goalie prevent a double figure scoreline.

RIP